• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 7th 2018 Coastal Storm thread (not obs)

Rjay

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Ericjcrash said:

I'd rather South than east. Already had the most QPF pretty far east.

Well that's the thing... east is fine, but you're right in that we want it "south" in that it doesn't gain enough latitude to dry slot and/or flood the region with warmth before it gets kicked east.

Unfortunately, it's hard to extrapolate at 24 hour intervals to see the exact track

10 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

We'll see. Let the runs play out.

By far the most ridiculous map I've ever seen. That's the hour with convection everywhere.

would be amazing for sure - looking at the current radar...that is one JUICED up storm and its not even started yet...

also would like to note, my friend in Annapolis,MD reports dusting of snow and its 38deg there....sign of whats to come? 

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

According to the New England thread it’s coming in 30 miles or so SE of it’s last run. Not sure what to make of all this. Miracle incoming for the coast? 

It definitely shifted a bit SE, but does not look to made a big change in temps. Low is more consolidated and the precipitation is much more organized however.

I don't like to bash the NWS, but Upton's call to downgrade to WWA for some areas was just plain dumb. Even if the NAM's east shift is just a blip, why downgrade when still a number of models are showing significant snows and the storm didn't even start yet?

Imo, if you go warning, you got to stay there until gametime. Dropping to advisory early lulls people into a false sense of security.

1 minute ago, Ace said:

It definitely shifted a bit SE, but does not look to made a big change in temps. Low is more consolidated and the precipitation is much more organized however.

I have to think if it’s consolidated and shifted SE, it’s good since it would draw the colder air in a bit better. It’ll be good if I’m not sweating the rain line surging up to the beach tomorrow afternoon. I still suspect that happens but hopefully there’s a bigger thump before that and we can have some goods behind the low. 

Just now, NortheastPAWx said:

I don't like to bash the NWS, but Upton's call to downgrade to WWA for some areas was just plain dumb. Even if the NAM's east shift is just a blip, why downgrade when still a number of models are showing significant snows and the storm didn't even start yet?

Imo, if you go warning, you got to stay there until gametime. Dropping to advisory early lulls people into a false sense of security.

Last March Upton got plenty of egg on its face out here for overdoing things when most of Long Island barely made it to advisory level. A day before Upton was predicting 10”+ even for me, and it ended up 3” that was gone by the end of the storm. Schools were closed here for something that was very manageable in the end. I was definitely one to pay attention to the amped NAM and GFS runs and thinking they couldn’t be off that much. The Euro has also been too east a few times recently with storms, and it was trending west. It was also too cold here with the last storm and had significant snow even for me when I ended up with no accumulation. Upton made the tough call. These outcomes are decided by 30-50 mile shifts like these all the time. 

3 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Last March Upton got plenty of egg on its face out here for overdoing things when most of Long Island barely made it to advisory level. A day before Upton was predicting 10”+ even for me, and it ended up 3” that was gone by the end of the storm. Schools were closed here for something that was very manageable in the end. I was definitely one to pay attention to the amped NAM and GFS runs and thinking they couldn’t be off that much. The Euro has also been too east a few times recently with storms, and it was trending west. It was also too cold here with the last storm and had significant snow even for me when I ended up with no accumulation. Upton made the tough call. These outcomes are decided by 30-50 mile shifts like these all the time. 

Damned if you. Damned if you don't. Tough job for the NWS. There is so much scrutiny of forecasters... add on top of that being a government agency, you're in for a ton of backlash if you even remotely get something wrong.

7 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Changing the forecast is okay, it's more the way they do it. As in, why were they so intransigent for March '17? Why would they lower totals today based off a couple runs of the NAM, when other guidance still supported the higher totals? This isn't to bash NWS either, it's just that they seem erratic at times. 

13 minutes ago, Nibor said:

11 minutes ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

Changing the forecast is okay, it's more the way they do it. As in, why were they so intransigent for March '17? Why would they lower totals today based off a couple runs of the NAM, when other guidance still supported the higher totals? This isn't to bash NWS either, it's just that they seem erratic at times. 

They knew a 5-7 sleet storm was very dangerous and didn't want people to think it should be taken lightly. I did and got stuck right in front of the house. Ever been stuck on sleet? Took four adults to push me out.

Just now, weatherpruf said:

They knew a 5-7 sleet storm was very dangerous and didn't want people to think it should be taken lightly. I did and got stuck right in front of the house. Ever been stuck on sleet? Took four adults to push me out.

Ball bearings. 2007 was epic twice. I'll take 6" of sleet over a foot of snow any day. 

GFS definitely improved for NYC. Thermals will throw off clown maps but big improvement . 

1 minute ago, weatherpruf said:

My post was implying I sympathize with the National Weather Service. They have a tough job.

1 minute ago, Nibor said:

My post was implying I sympathize with the National Weather Service. They have a tough job.

I wasn't meaning to respond to you with that comment; I was gonna post something else and changed my mind. Forgot to delete your stuff when I responded to the other poster. Didn't want to get too far off track, we're being monitored ya know....

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived