• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 7th 2018 Coastal Storm thread (not obs)

Rjay

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This could come down to where parts of the tri-state see prolific snowfall rates and accumulations while areas a few miles away are heavy rain. Times like these is where I'm glad I pursued a different career and not forecasting.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Then go with history. Secret sauce. The thing guys like Nate Silver use to make predictions; intangibles. What else have you got when the science is limited out? So if we went with history, what would be your guess? 

For historical perspective, the last March snowstorm to bring 6" or more snow to Central Park occurred on March 14, 2017 when 7.6" fell. The last snowstorm to bring 8" or more snow to New York City in March occurred on March 1-2, 2009 when 8.3" snow fell. The last 10" or greater March snowstorm occurred on March 13-14, 1993 when 10.6" fell. The last March snowstorm to dump a foot or more of snow was the March 3-4, 1960 blizzard when 14.5" fell. Both the 1960 and 1993 storms had colder air masses with which to work.

2 minutes ago, doncat said:

Makes ya really appreciate the cold all snow storms where the rain snow line is not a concern. Much less stressful;)

I think north/west of the 78/287 intersection is probably locked in for warning snows.  But here at the 95/pway/1/287/9 intersection we battle.

Correlation Coefficient radars for the win tomorrow.  We will be chasing the heavy snow in North Jersey for 12.  I am also concerned about the beaches- 50 mph winds is nothing to sneeze at and really only happens a handful of times a year. Manasquan OEM expecting minor to moderate flooding tomorrow - which will be day 6 of water in the streets. 

11 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

For historical perspective, the last March snowstorm to bring 6" or more snow to Central Park occurred on March 14, 2017 when 7.6" fell. The last snowstorm to bring 8" or more snow to New York City in March occurred on March 1-2, 2009 when 8.3" snow fell. The last 10" or greater March snowstorm occurred on March 13-14, 1993 when 10.6" fell. The last March snowstorm to dump a foot or more of snow was the March 3-4, 1960 blizzard when 14.5" fell. Both the 1960 and 1993 storms had colder air masses with which to work.

you answered my previous question.

Other than 1888 has there been a 15"+ snow fall in NYC history?

Just now, USCG RS said:

This could come down to where parts of the tri-state see prolific snowfall rates and accumulations while areas a few miles away are heavy rain. Times like these is where I'm glad I went OEM/counterterrorism and not forecasting.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

So we can deduce that the storm, at least for NYC, will be less than ten inches in all likelihood ( no surprise there ) and a good chance it will be less than 8. Now we have to ask how many storms were less than 6? If there are a lot more, then the probability would increase for that. Next we could ask how many were less than 4? And so on. What do you think, Don?

2 minutes ago, Drz1111 said:

No, you can't deduce that.  That's now how this works.  That's not how any of this works.

I take it you mean that each storm is different. I buy that. But history matters too. We have pros here saying they are having trouble making a prediction. I'm glad I don't have to base my living on something like that.

19 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

you can make an argument for 15" or 3" in nyc. this is so annoying

totally agree with both of you. this is kind of fun for me because i'm off and will enjoy seeing whatever ultimately happens. the only thing i know for sure is that this'll be another kick-ass nor'easter, and i don't think the dynamics and instability will disappoint. 

10 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

So we can deduce that the storm, at least for NYC, will be less than ten inches in all likelihood ( no surprise there ) and a good chance it will be less than 8. Now we have to ask how many storms were less than 6? If there are a lot more, then the probability would increase for that. Next we could ask how many were less than 4? And so on. What do you think, Don?

Taking into consideration today’s guidance and historic climatology 4”-8” for Central Park and 3”-6” for JFK. 

Just now, Zelocita Weather said:

Again pay attention, not to how west/east it is near ACY or south, pay attention to where it takes a hard right/is forced underneath the block, RGEM at first appears heading way west, but still scoots it almost due east

THIS.  Its a touch worse in the areas that were on the border before.  Basically east and south of TTN gets shafted.

1 minute ago, Zelocita Weather said:

Again pay attention, not to how west/east it is near ACY or south, pay attention to where it takes a hard right/is forced underneath the block, RGEM at first appears heading way west, but still scoots it almost due east

As long as the mid-level cyclones stay offshore we should be okay.

Again, the biggest threat for busting low with this storm is the dry slot.

6 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

As long as the mid-level cyclones stay offshore we should be okay.

Again, the biggest threat for busting low with this storm is the dry slot.

for who..maybe for you but not for those of us in central jersey as we watch that rain line creep closer with every run

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived