• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 7th 2018 Coastal Storm thread (not obs)

Rjay

2 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Exactly, thank you. The gfs is a major hit from manhattan north and west. The island and central jersey are the question marks. Let’s see what the euro does 

Then we get into what is CNJ exactly? I say I'm in CNJ parallel to SI, others tell me I'm in NNJ yet no one around here considers themselves north....

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RU848789 said:

Agreed. And the GFS, while maybe having lousy thermal algorithms, has been right before on track vs. other models (Jan 15 stands out), so with this and the NAM also making a significant jog NW, a rainfest for 95 is now on the table.  Kind of easy to dismiss one model, but not 2 of 3 (if we count the HRDPS as a snowy model).  

I tend to respect your posts; I know your background and think if you are less than enthusiastic for our area ( I have to add that as the NW posters will get mad if I don't ) then I would tend to think we are in trouble.

11 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Exactly, thank you. The gfs is a major hit from manhattan north and west. The island and central jersey are the question marks. Let’s see what the euro does 

The GFS verbatim is a rainstorm from Philly to NYC to Boston.  Not sure how you can say it's a major hit for NYC.  

gfs_asnow_neus_12.png

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

12z GFS track, as you can see, it's a good track. Ignore the thermals, especially if you live West of the Nassau/Suffolk county line and away from the South facing shore.

sketched_5a9ebefb59fc5.png

How did you determine that? TT shows the low pretty much right off the coast of Monmouth at hr 36

12z GFS track, as you can see, it's a good track. Ignore the thermals, especially if you live West of the Nassau/Suffolk county line and away from the South facing shore.
sketched_5a9ebefb59fc5.png&key=a013395f8881e374e65cb5f8a6b978436fd1c8f7832f55079fb63f6f89f7b33f
That's actually a very good track for LI. Again, if this touches right on OC MD occludes here and shunts ENE, the majority of the survey forum is in for a hard thump.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

HRDPS is a mega hit for CNJ on north. I’m puzzled, the range of solutions for CNJ are crazy at the moment 1-14”. I’m looking for the EURO to settle this, if it caves to the NAM/GFS I think we have our answer for that area. NW Nj, the pocconos, and the NY state suburbs are all a lock for 10”+ at this point. 

10 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Agreed. And the GFS, while maybe having lousy thermal algorithms, has been right before on track vs. other models (Jan 15 stands out), so with this and the NAM also making a significant jog NW, a rainfest for 95 is now on the table.  Kind of easy to dismiss one model, but not 2 of 3 (if we count the RDPS as a snowy model).  

Even the worst model will get it right every once in awhile, but everyone agrees that GFS is by FAR the worst model. So I wouldn't be too concerned unless other models start showing this warmer solution.

Just now, NJwx85 said:

I would still give it more weight for BL temps and intensity than the GFS.

OK so we have the RGEM and HRDPS showing a major hit of 12+ for the area, NAM a little less but wasn't it the 3km that showed 6-12? please correct me there....

THEN the GFS.... not going to even comment.... just look at it don't take it to heart!

2 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Noticed the same thing - maybe we're missing something, as that track would be great vs. what TT shows.  

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_6.png

I use the E-Wall for tracking the storm. For whatever reason, for the GFS the isobars are off the NJ coast, but the surface wind depiction has the low inside Ocean County NJ at hr 36. 

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/GFS13PA_12z/gfsloop.html

Using the surface wind depiction, it then essentially tracks over my head, and then into SE Mass. It's the most amped by far of the models I see. 

7 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Noticed the same thing - maybe we're missing something, as that track would be great vs. what TT shows.  

It's a little easier to see here. The red line is the ULL track and the black line is the SLP track. 

As you can see here, it's the ULL which is causing the problem.

sketched_5a9ec264a6690.png

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I use the E-Wall for tracking the storm. For whatever reason, for the GFS the isobars are off the NJ coast, but the surface wind depiction has the low inside Ocean County NJ at hr 36. 

Using the surface wind depiction, it then essentially tracks over my head, and then into SE Mass. It's the most amped by far of the models I see. 

I believe that's either a dual surface low or an ULL which is how I labeled it. 

8 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Same here...

12z GFS & 12z NAM at Hr 33

You can clearly see the surface on the GFS is what is cooking the coast while the mid levels on the NAM are causing the problem E of the city

Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 11.34.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 11.35.18 AM.png

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived