• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 7th 2018 Coastal Storm thread (not obs)

Rjay

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Convective Available Potential Energy

its a measure of instability through the atmosphere as it pertains to updraft, usually for thunderstorms, or rain cooled downdrafts during thunderstorms

The low would be rapidly strengthening as it passes the bench mark, so I would assume this is the timing of when the CAPE would occur? What specific feature allows this CAPE condition to occur? Is it just the bombogensis process in itself, or another unique situation that this storm has over lets say last weeks storm? 

1 minute ago, Meteoropoulos said:

The low would be rapidly strengthening as it passes the bench mark, so I would assume this is the timing of when the CAPE would occur? What specific feature allows this CAPE condition to occur? Is it just the bombogensis process in itself, or another unique situation that this storm has over lets say last weeks storm? 

tightly wound dynamic and immense vertical motion, (rising and sinking air)....not your average well dispersed set up at 500 or 700, both lows close just off shore of NYC/Long island, id fully expect THundersnow 

10 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

tightly wound dynamic and immense vertical motion, (rising and sinking air)....not your average well dispersed set up at 500 or 700, both lows close just off shore of NYC/Long island, id fully expect THundersnow 

Got it. Like last weeks storm where the low tracked west into the Atlantic once it was closed off, and that closing off intensity allowed for the vertical drop of just enough cold air to turn many to snow. Without that closing off, there just wouldn't have been enough cold air from the north, so it took it from directly above?

Sorry, I am a LONG time lurker here and just trying to learn even more by actually posting. Lol. I  REALLY appreciate all of the wonderful insight and knowledge that I have learned from here thought the last few years. Especially yourself UlsterCountySnowZ! I miss the days when you used to do the play by plays on those 2am EURO runs and all the other models. Dont see that as much around here anymore. I truly loved the small descriptive to the point posts as the frames were coming out, and jumped when I see the word, "crushed".  I swear I had popcorn a couple of night. Lol

Again, thanks for all you do and to the rest of the forum!

Pete 

8 minutes ago, Meteoropoulos said:

Got it. Like last weeks storm where the low tracked west into the Atlantic once it was closed off, and that closing off intensity allowed for the vertical drop of just enough cold air to turn many to snow. Without that closing off, there just wouldn't have been enough cold air from the north, so it took it from directly above?

Sorry, I am a LONG time lurker here and just trying to learn even more by actually posting. Lol. I  REALLY appreciate all of the wonderful insight and knowledge that I have learned from here thought the last few years. Especially yourself UlsterCountySnowZ! I miss the days when you used to do the play by plays on those 2am EURO runs and all the other models. Dont see that as much around here anymore. I truly loved the small descriptive to the point posts as the frames were coming out, and jumped when I see the word, "crushed".  I swear I had popcorn a couple of night. Lol

Again, thanks for all you do and to the rest of the forum!

Pete 

Yea it was a lot of fun then... enjoy the snow, we’re gonna get bombed

2 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

EPS mean and control are nearly step in step... that used to mean during these kinda storms.. you can lock it in..

The last storm was pretty much up in the air until kickoff, this one has incredible model consensus 24 hours out. And that is some task for a storm looking to dump a foot of snow for so many. You just never know. 

If the 6z NAM comes in looking good to start the AM model suite, then I will feel more confident. But we all know the 12z runs will be the real icing on the cake.

Would you agree, I cant remember the last time a storm for 12"+ had an across the board model consesus 24 hours out? There was always at least one party pooper in the suite that had to keep us on edge a bit. 

6 minutes ago, Meteoropoulos said:

The last storm was pretty much up in the air until kickoff, this one has incredible model consensus 24 hours out. And that is some task for a storm looking to dump a foot of snow for so many. You just never know. 

If the 6z NAM comes in looking good to start the AM model suite, then I will feel more confident. But we all know the 12z runs will be the real icing on the cake.

Would you agree, I cant remember the last time a storm for 12"+ had an across the board model consesus 24 hours out? There was always at least one party pooper in the suite that had to keep us on edge a bit. 

Seeing the ukmet  as amped up, and the NMM members amped ( a rare thing) Im leaning that even the 00z euro was underdone...the moisture fetch is prime, no dry air, H5 closed just SE of the city, same with 700, the vertical velocity and frontogenisis being advertised on meso models is hard to ignore... Hi Res Rgem would be an HECS with unbelievable frontogenic Banding droping nearly 3-5” per hour snow rates for a prolonged period of more than 4-5 hours ( insane I know). Nam not far behind it, and it’s 3k brother that went absolutely nuts with the convective banding velocity at 700, setting someone up for some insane banding and rates again.  GFS is notoriously bad at thermodynamics and banding/ EC cyclogenisis, and frontogen adv... and the euro has been playing catch-up with us whole time (kinda sad I know), Euro is unable to capture the split lobe confluence coming down into the trough and correctly correlated into or elongate it into our main Main ULL...my money is on NAM/RGEM combo, subtract a bit of the insane amounts displayed, and you have a nice 8-12 and 12-18 storm

We're really on that razors edge where often some of the heaviest snowfall rates occur. 

I think the track is mostly set in stone but there's room for a few ticks that can make or break places right on that edge. 

Anyone just west of the city is pretty much locked in for a foot or more, it's a lot more sketchy right near the city and just S/E.

16 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

We're really on that razors edge where often some of the heaviest snowfall rates occur. 

I think the track is mostly set in stone but there's room for a few ticks that can make or break places right on that edge. 

Anyone just west of the city is pretty much locked in for a foot or more, it's a lot more sketchy right near the city and just S/E.

Like the other guy said, we're all safe for 6"+ and that's all you can really ask for this time of the year- especially with another, possibly even bigger storm coming the following week.

From what I can see, NYC right to the south shore of Nassau is good for 6" at least.

City/LI cutting it real close on the 06z 3k NAM
5a9e53424d62e_ScreenShot2018-03-06at3_36_07AM.thumb.png.597290d26dbcddf2436b30c8b323c146.png
If it comes in as close as what the NAM shows, long Island will go to heavy rain and then dry slot. Likewise, the LP would transverse li of that were to materialize and last March would yet again replay.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived