• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 7th 2018 Coastal Storm thread (not obs)

Rjay

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

No effin way

If that happens I'll personally finance that a wall be built to keep the ocean air out.  I wonder how tall it would have to be?  It'll help in the summer too to keep that annoying sea breeze away.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Paragon said:

If that happens I'll personally finance that a wall be built to keep the ocean air out.  I wonder how tall it would have to be?  It'll help in the summer too to keep that annoying sea breeze away.

It’s happened before and it will again. Barrier island blues. 

14 minutes ago, weatherbear5 said:

I'm surprised Upton went 2-6 inches of snow in Suffolk and 4-7 in Nassau despite the Euro and NAM coming in hot like that. It could very well verify, but I would have imagined they'd have waited for tonight's runs to make big changes to totals like that

personally, I'm feeling more bullish, particularly for western Suffolk and Nassau counties

I’m not at all surprised. They usually go with a blend of several models, take into account trends etc. I don’t think the Island sees the totals the current runs show. 

1 hour ago, Paragon said:

see Millenium storm, it tracked over Suffolk County but southern Nassau stayed all snow.

The north shore stayed all snow from about Northport on west.  We had an hour or two of rain here, but still managed just under a foot, including a little burst of snow at the end.  I think all of Nassau stayed all snow.  You could have drawn the all-snow area west of a line from roughly Northport to Lindenhurst.

8 minutes ago, strgazr27 said:

I’m not at all surprised. They usually go with a blend of several models, take into account trends etc. I don’t think the Island sees the totals the current runs show. 

Well, considering the current runs show accumulations anywhere between about 0-20 inches IMBY, somewhere in that range will probably verify lol.

in all seriousness though, that kind of range is on the table. The overall track is classic for a dum of snow on LI, assuming it doesn't gain too much latitude. If it doesn't and takes a track like the 12z Euro or 18z NAM then I would wager even their current 10% of higher snowfall totals would be in danger of busting

40 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Annoying sea breeze in summer? Are you nuts? That’s one of best things about living on LI. The only time it’s annoying is in early spring when it makes us damp cool and foggy.

temps are going to marginal so areas with elevation will have the highest totals. So bassically anyone that had accumulating snow with the last storm can expect to jackpot. I could see allot of 18” type numbers in the jackpot zone. I like 8” for CPK right now. I’ll go with 5” for my backyard 

18 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

The north shore stayed all snow from about Northport on west.  We had an hour or two of rain here, but still managed just under a foot, including a little burst of snow at the end.  I think all of Nassau stayed all snow.  You could have drawn the all-snow area west of a line from roughly Northport to Lindenhurst.

I lived in Lindenhurst for that storm.  We did not see any rain from it, but we did dryslot for a time.

18 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Annoying sea breeze in summer? Are you nuts? That’s one of best things about living on LI. The only time it’s annoying is in early spring when it makes us damp cool and foggy.

temps are going to marginal so areas with elevation will have the highest totals. So bassically anyone that had accumulating snow with the last storm can expect to jackpot. I could see allot of 18” type numbers in the jackpot zone. I like 8” for CPK right now. I’ll go with 5” for my backyard 

I like really high temps in the summer lol, the sea breeze can come in after peak heating like after 4 PM (which is what usually happens here).

20 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Almost sounds like last March's storm.

I wonder what's going to happen with the storm after that- that's supposed to the biggest of the 3.

Millennium storm was all snow here. Oceanside reported 16". 

This will be a tightly wound system so we won't need it to track too far offshore, but that one appeared to form a bit east of Hatteras, so when it came almost due north it stayed off the NJ coast and went in around the Twin Forks. So far this one looks to form a bit west of there and track north to just off ACY. What happens from there is key for the city/coast. It'll need to hook NE away from the coast. 

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

This will be a tightly wound system so we won't need it to track too far offshore, but that one appeared to form a bit east of Hatteras, so when it came almost due north it stayed off the NJ coast and went in around the Twin Forks. So far this one looks to form a bit west of there and track north to just off ACY. What happens from there is key for the city/coast. It'll need to hook NE away from the coast. 

::Fingers crossed::

One would think that the NATL blocking will play a big role on how it tracks as it gains latitude.  Millennium storm bisected the forks, but how did the NATL look compared to now?

2 minutes ago, Eduardo said:

::Fingers crossed::

One would think that the NATL blocking will play a big role on how it tracks as it gains latitude.  Millennium storm bisected the forks, but how did the NATL look compared to now?

There's really no 50-50 low near Newfoundland which would play a role in not letting ridging to the east dominate and allow a west/hugger track. It really all depends on where the trough axis is which would set where the low develops, and how much phasing there is between the northern and southern streams. We don't want too much too soon. And then, how fast do the upper lows close off, which would start it taking a more NE track. Eventually it will feel the influence of the blocking, but question is where. 

11 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

There's really no 50-50 low near Newfoundland which would play a role in not letting ridging to the east dominate and allow a west/hugger track. It really all depends on where the trough axis is which would set where the low develops, and how much phasing there is between the northern and southern streams. We don't want too much too soon. And then, how fast do the upper lows close off, which would start it taking a more NE track. Eventually it will feel the influence of the blocking, but question is where. 

Honestly how many times do we have all the pieces in place? I would estimate it happens like 10% of the time.

21 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

But we had some wiggle room with that as it didn't change over until you were in SW Suffolk.  So even if that storm was 30 miles west it would've been okay for us.

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived