• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 7th 2018 Coastal Storm thread (not obs)

Rjay

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

It still has tons of members leaning west of the Op.  I’m still more worried about this having mixing issues than missing.  I don’t like the flow aloft off the East Coast from 72-96.  I think the center could easily come over Long Island still 

I agree, that’s still my worry more than it missing. To me there’s too much ridging east of it. 

37 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Euro was SE with this last system and progressively backed NW up until zero hour. 

That's correct. People can just look at the archived maps on TT to see the NW progression. Since the upgrade, the Euro has generally been too far east with East Coast storms further out in time. 

Verification

ecmwf_z500_mslp_us_1.thumb.png.5458ecca8b50b57ff4d1c777c1daaa04.png

Forecast

ecmwf_z500_mslp_us_5.thumb.png.a35b37399d631fdadff94226ab387fca.png

4 hours ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

Stop copying what new England forum has to say. You dont even know where that model is...And for now anything is on the table. I am a bit worried that we could have a solution where the storm never fully phases and it escapes out to sea because the nao starts rebounding to almost neutral to positive. But than again I've seen storms where after a very negative nao as it started bouncing to almost positive we had very big storms just like after a very cold snap as it tried to warm up. I think the one snow goose was mentioning before. That one buried central park with 12 inches if my memory is still there. Some parts of queens got over 2 feet of snow. It was a quick hitting storm it might have been a bit colder but the potential here for 6-12 inches for NYC is there. I am concerned that my favorite model cmc is an out to sea depiction. 

GFS is a crappy model but here it goes 

Screenshot_20180304-111834.png

If remember correctly you also said like 5” for NYC with the last storm. GFS is a crappy model but you rode the NAM (and were wrong) notorious for overblown totals for all your calls last storm. Can you explain why is that? ANY call this far out is absolute guessing (mostly wrong as of late from a lot of people). This use to be an amazing g place for useful info and learning. Now it’s 75% hyperbole and model huggingbtill the life is squeezed out of it. I’ll stop here. Probably should be in banter and if so feel free to move it mods. Apologies. 

NAM will most likely be bashed for being right again.

its hilarious how you guys try to make sense of an extremely awkward 500 mb pattern like it’s just another day.  Ohh I forgot, mentioning climate change is a political thing...so we’re just suppose assume everything is normal and routine.

temperatures will most likely be critical as the last storm...don’t be surprised if it’s another white rain event.  All this low level moisture / misting / fog like with this last system helped keep a lid on the heat island like effect of jersey/ nyc area..so temperatures couldn’t get to freezing.,.its not ez in march.    If it was a 100 years ago, without the urban effect, much better chance of snow sticking. 

If remember correctly you also said like 5” for NYC with the last storm. GFS is a crappy model but you rode the NAM (and were wrong) notorious for overblown totals for all your calls last storm. Can you explain why is that? ANY call this far out is absolute guessing (mostly wrong as of late from a lot of people). This use to be an amazing g place for useful info and learning. Now it’s 75% hyperbole and model huggingbtill the life is squeezed out of it. I’ll stop here. Probably should be in banter and if so feel free to move it mods. Apologies. 

Being fair to him, it snowed*** quite a bit, which the NAM progged over the gfs (which was too warm). The issue was more that it just could not snow hard enough to overcome the surface layer. Likewise the bands set up a bit west of where expected. The NAM did pretty well actually.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

56 minutes ago, bluewave said:

That's correct. People can just look at the archived maps on TT to see the NW progression. Since the upgrade, the Euro has generally been too far east with East Coast storms further out in time. 

Verification

ecmwf_z500_mslp_us_1.thumb.png.5458ecca8b50b57ff4d1c777c1daaa04.png

Forecast

ecmwf_z500_mslp_us_5.thumb.png.a35b37399d631fdadff94226ab387fca.png

Beyond 96 it’s tended to be over amped a good amount of the time.  Inside 96 it’s had a tendency towards being flat.  More so on non Gulf originating lows.  I’ve noticed it’s better on systems that come out of the Gulf Coast for whatever reason.  That may just be small sample size because we’ve had less of them since the Miller As haven’t been too common the last few winters.  

12 minutes ago, husky0101 said:

Hmm... I know we often look at the total snowfall maps in TT that have a 10:1 ratio, but shouldn't we be looking at the total positive snow-depth increase map instead for more realistic snowfall projections?

you shouldn't be looking at any of them

28 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Very similar to that cluster of EPS members than are further west than the OP. Funny how it sometimes takes the NAM until 18z to match the 12z Euro or EPS members.

I just posted this away , the Euro OP is centered at 71W , more than half of indi's are from 72W 

Which the 75 miles west that the Euro differs from the 1 to 1.5 LE GFS NAM UKMET 

Looks like an I 95 snowstorm with a much bigger one lurking on day 8 for someone 

19 minutes ago, PB COLTS NECK NJ said:

I just posted this away , the Euro OP is centered at 71W , more than half of indi's are from 72W 

Which the 75 miles west that the Euro differs from the 1 to 1.5 LE GFS NAM UKMET 

Looks like an I 95 snowstorm with a much bigger one lurking on day 8 for someone 

I can't remember another March with 3 such intense March storms in the first 12 days. I guess we should start calling this Stratmegeddon.;)

Im sure the models will change many times with so many hours before Wednesday . At this time period for the last storm which model was doing the best job as far as what actually took place , Im talking track NOT totals ? Also the next storm the one after Wednesday , long ways out but signal is there do u think that could occur on Sunday or afterwards?

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived