• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 7th 2018 Coastal Storm thread (not obs)

Rjay

The active pattern continues with yet another winter storm threatening the area for Wednesday.  

Here's what we know:

1.  A storm is likely as it has solid ensemble support.

2.  Snowman likes this threat so :unsure:

3. Bickering in this thread will lead to timeouts. 

Lots of questions remain so specifics are unknown at this time.  Talk about this threat in here.  

Personally, I think our NW posters cash in again but nothing is off the table 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The active pattern continues with yet another winter storm threatening the area for Wednesday.  
Here's what we know:
Lots of questions remain so specifics are unknown at this time.  Talk about this threat in here.  

Thank you for the update. The family and I are at a Courtyard that has power, so my son and I were able to watch TWC for the first time a while. Got to see their breakdown for this event.

1 hour ago, North and West said:

Thank you for the update. The family and I are at a Courtyard that has power, so my son and I were able to watch TWC for the first time a while. Got to see their breakdown for this event.

My brother in law in Whippany is out as well. Good luck to you. My power was restored last night at 11:00. Half of Chester is dark currently. 

Phones/internet/cable are out. 

2 hours ago, Rjay said:

Here's what we know:

I think the coast gets some decent snow from this one. 

Despite what the p-type maps on tropical tidbits may say, the 00z GFS looks like a good hit of snow on the Island to me at least... soundings are below freezing until about 950mb, and surface temps are 36 or so in central LI with a 3-4 degree dew point t-td. There is more of an easterly component to the wind initially, but that should flip to NE fairly quickly should this track verify. For what it's worth, this is laid out fairly well on the snowmaps as well, which shows a bullseye of snow over interior LI despite the p-type maps not showing that much.

I have a hard time believing the GFS's handling of BL temps when there's any kind of T-TD, particularly after its performance during the last storm

edit: somehow got 18z soundings, trying to look on a phone is a pain... more like 39-35 which obviously is worse, but still not insurmountable

1 minute ago, weatherbear5 said:

Despite what the p-type maps on tropical tidbits may say, the 00z GFS looks like a good hit of snow on the Island... soundings are below freezing until about 950mb, and surface temps are 36 or so in central LI with a 3-4 degree dew point t-td. There is more of an easterly component to the wind initially, but that should flip to NE fairly quickly should this track verify. For what it's worth, this is laid out fairly well on the snowmaps as well, which shows a bullseye of snow over interior LI despite the p-type maps not showing that much.

I have a hard time believing the GFS's handling of BL temps when there's any kind of T-TD, particularly after its performance during the last storm

Definitely mostly snow.  Eastern Suffolk county maybe not but the air mass is so much better this time and there is high pressure across NE Canada.  Its also a more consolidated classic deepening low than what the last system was

5 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Definitely mostly snow.  Eastern Suffolk county maybe not but the air mass is so much better this time and there is high pressure across NE Canada.  Its also a more consolidated classic deepening low than what the last system was

Indeed. Especially if LI gets under the CCB? Yeah, it's probably mostly snow with that track

19 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

This is all encouraging right now but I get the sense that this thing really crushes SNE and not so much NYC metro. Hope I'm wrong and maybe some reverse psychology will work but this has the makings of a SNE special

This looks to get going off the NC coast. It’ll be plenty developed by the time it gets here. The concern now is how far west it tracks, not that it’s a late bloomer. 

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived