Newest Member
    joxey
Median to above confidence for moderate (major?) impact event, midweek

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Weird random note about that storm....while I was thundersnowing my way to > 2 foot depths in ORH during that one...and most inside of 495 were raining, there was this very narrow zone of ZR....quite rare for that synoptic setup with a marginal airmass. But my cousins lived in Hopkinton at the time and they got about 5" of paste that flipped to marginal ZR at 31F and they just went to town fr hours with it. They must've had almost a half inch of ice from that on top of the paste already clinging to everything....knocked power out for basically the whole town ad some of the towns nearby in that small zone.

Anyways...

I never knew that...wow.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Weird random note about that storm....while I was thundersnowing my way to > 2 foot depths in ORH during that one...and most inside of 495 were raining, there was this very narrow zone of ZR....quite rare for that synoptic setup with a marginal airmass. But my cousins lived in Hopkinton at the time and they got about 5" of paste that flipped to marginal ZR at 31F and they just went to town fr hours with it. They must've had almost a half inch of ice from that on top of the paste already clinging to everything....knocked power out for basically the whole town ad some of the towns nearby in that small zone.

Anyways...

Wow that is really cool dude I love those kind of under the radar sneaky little anomalies like that they just get lost in time and obscurity of smaller scale's 

9 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Unisys 3hr pres drop has it off mid NC coast

SPC meso wind direction put it around same

NAM does not look far off to me, but good pickup, this is gonna be fun tracking thru the night... I think the further south --> later capture --> further east track

NAM and GFS were NW today at 22Z , Euro dead nutz,that's when I locked the Euro in here.

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I cant get rgem soundings, not sure if they have them. But it is damn cold at 850 and 925 so I’d guess huge parachutes with ice nuclei covering the entire sky. You won’t see more than 50ft in front of you. 

Check out the snow map

rgem_asnow_us_37.thumb.png.433c2b97da5138e2a7e3a8ecefb72f2d.png

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

We always see this just before go-time on Miller Bs.

Yep! Unless of course they're uber-amped and early capture Philly specials lol... (I know you know this)

Was all about the trajectory/momentum of the trough shooting east and where the surface low gets captured... 

I never knew that...wow.

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

Wow that is really cool dude I love those kind of under the radar sneaky little anomalies like that they just get lost in time and obscurity of smaller scale's 

Yeah totally cool....its so rare mostly because it's hard to get that type of razor's edge to stay stationary during a coastal like that...esp in a marginal airmass....but it did. It just basically straddled about a 2-town wide zone for 6-8 hours. We were out picking up my cousins to stay out our house the next day since they were powerlss and I couldn't believe the amount of ice there.

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I cant get rgem soundings, not sure if they have them. But it is damn cold at 850 and 925 so I’d guess huge parachutes with ice nuclei covering the entire sky. You won’t see more than 50ft in front of you. 

Where are you finding 925 temps for the RGEM?

Man, RGEM really blows the load down near the tri state.....doesn't really redevelop up here.

Sucks.

Flag for going widespread >12".

It's counting some of your qpf as rain on the clown maps....erroneously IMHO. You still have a lot of qpf.

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

NAM and GFS were NW today at 22Z , Euro dead nutz,that's when I locked the Euro in here.

Yeah I posted earlier today... I've been sweating because I told my boss and my entire group 6-10 for Boston... I got amused looks

I gave Euro weight for being relatively consistent, but I was nervous this would capture early and blow it's load on Philly/NYC northwest like lots of other guidance showed

We'll see... still want to see more support that trough shoots out more east. Gonna be fun to track real-time H5 over OH valley and surface pressure obs down south. 

Archived