Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Median to above confidence for moderate (major?) impact event, midweek

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, J Paul Gordon said:

Think the bust potential is growing exponentially east of the Berks and south of Route 2

Wut?  Maybe E of ORH S of Pike but anyone N or W of there is getting warning snow.  Nobody in SNE should be planning on over a foot  or they are setting themselves up for disappointment.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Interesting.  Doesn't radiational cooling cause the dew to rise too?  I'm just used to like 39/20, the sun goes down, and then all the sudden its 30/25.

think of it this way

Pressure X Volume = Number of moles X a gass constant X Temperature

When radiational cooling takes place, the the temperature is dropping ... but, the pressure and volume in this above equation is remaining constant, and since the gas constant is not going to change, that means you have to input some sort of mass (number of moles) into the system in order to keep this physical equation ...   Input of water (raise DP)...  That source can come from the earth and see/hydro.. (yes snow and ice count in that...)  ... 

But, more often times in radiational cooling the pressure or volume may be changing a small amount and the DP can thus remain closer to constant while the temperature falls.  This latter effect can take place when diurnal cooling sets in, the Volume (lower thickness) goes down some as the primary balancing mechanism, and that allows the temperature to descend without having to input mass - this is more typically how the temp falls in late august through autumn. 

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Way too low in NE CT imho. I actually think that area adjacent to the 600-800 foot hills in NW RI could really do well. 

Now theyll get 2" since I said that. 

I could see North Foster Woodstock Killingly break a foot, map made by someone not familiar with local climo

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

think of it this way

Pressure X Volume = Number of moles X a gass constant X Temperature

When radiational cooling takes place, the the temperature is dropping ... but, the pressure and volume in this above equation is remaining constant, and since the gas constant is not going to change, that means you have to input some sort of mass (number of moles) into the system in order to keep this physical equation ...   Input of water (raise DP)...  That source can come from the earth and see/hydro.. (yes snow and ice count in that...)  ... 

But, more often times in radiational cooling the pressure or volume may be changing a small amount and the DP can thus remain closer to constant while the temperature falls.  This latter effect can take place when diurnal cooling sets in, the Volume (lower thickness) goes down some as the primary balancing mechanism, and that allows the temperature to descend without having to input mass - this is more typically how the temp falls in late august through autumn. 

Ahh bingo.  Thanks for that little lesson.  Makes sense and that pressure is the third variable I was missing in the equation.

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Way too low in NE CT imho. I actually think that area adjacent to the 600-800 foot hills in NW RI could really do well. 

Now theyll get 2" since I said that. 

:D 

this may be my Ray bomb for this season, but I think Scott ends up with 6" of near translucent slush - when he picks up a shovel full, and tips it, it's like the water pouring off the pasta in a colander. 

gradate that to Mt Manadnock's 18.55"

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

What do you have from here up to ORH ?

I think 8-14" is a good forecast for the elevation zones there. Even in the lousy solutions I feel like ORH is still getting 7-9" and I'm pretty sure the crappiest solutions won't verify. But there's still weird things that could happen like subsidence zones and such. So need to put the floor down there.

I am hesitant to go higher than 14 because of the somewhat more progressive look versus some of the stall scenarios yesterday. But we can't rule out 16-18 lollis in spots...esp if euro is more correct and we have a longner residence time inside the good midlevel stuff and dryslot shunts mostly east. 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I think 8-14" is a good forecast for the elevation zones there. Even in the lousy solutions I feel like ORH is still getting 7-9" and I'm pretty sure the crappiest solutions won't verify. But there's still weird things that could happen like subsidence zones and such. So need to put the floor down there.

I am hesitant to go higher than 14 because of the somewhat more progressive look versus some of the stall scenarios yesterday. But we can't rule out 16-18 lollis in spots...esp if euro is more correct and we have a longner residence time inside the good midlevel stuff and dryslot shunts mostly east. 

Yeah that all makes sense . My feeling is the folks that lowered today will jack em right back up tomorrow morning . Mesos so far tonight already going back east / colder. I have a solid 12-13” here as the call . Wouldn’t be shocked at 14–16

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yeah that all makes sense . My feeling is the folks that lowered today will jack em right back up tomorrow morning . Mesos so far tonight already going back east / colder. I have a solid 12-13” here as the call . Wouldn’t be shocked at 14–16

10-14" for you is what I'd say.  Same as Will and your thoughts but I think you get 10" regardless, all ball busting aside.

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I agree with that actually

38 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

I honestly doubt it will matter much when the goods come in. Looks like a pretty hellacious thump in the afternoon. Thundersnow, 1-3" hour rates. I think it will be fun. 

You are so right.  In heavy snow there is no problem accumulating, even in April or May.  The only time it is a problem is in borderline temps during light or moderate snow.

3 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Looks like our first run of the 00z suite, the RPM will come in a hair colder and east from 21Z which was already moving in that direction. 

Yeah it is starting to back off those NAM-esque solutions from earlier....it even had a run that tracked over Kevin's fanny.

Just now, J Paul Gordon said:

18 inches north, 4 to 6 immediately south. You'll be able to cross the highway to the jackpots. 

I'm not sure of anything, but NWS discussion page seems to be waffling a bit now.

ORH is gonna get smoked. No real worries there unless you're gunning for something crazy like 18"+

Archived