Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Median to above confidence for moderate (major?) impact event, midweek

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, WthrJunkyME said:

No warning signs, Tip.  Felt just fine!  Except, of course, that I knew and was prescribed blood pressure medication and stopped taking it because it made me sore.  “It’ll never happen to me” denial sort of thing.  10 pm I’m on the couch watching the news, dog next to me.  Get up to get dog a snack and my chest just felt tight, as if someone were sitting on it.  Hard to take a breath, I took some aspirin.  Woke up my wife, told her I must have some heartburn or something.  Then felt nauseous, tried to throw up, nothing.  But I felt immediately better, back to normal.  Though it came right back again and told my wife to drive me to emergency.  I was still actively having a heart attack when I arrived.

Anybody with heart issues, high cholesterol, etc. already know what I’m going to say.  If you have any of these problems and not resolving them like I failed to do, it’s just not worth it.  I can’t stand hospitals, I can’t stand being on medications and while I generally eat healthy, I eat what I want, when I want.  I especially don’t care to be lectured to, such as I’m doing right now! Those days are now over.  I now have to do what I’m told or I die, simple as that.  Were there warnings? Yes, but no immediate warning, just happened all of a sudden.  It was a foreign pain for me.

Eesh... scary.  Must have been a mild heart attack or...heh, face it - we probably wouldn't be having this discussion. I was asking about the 'warnings' because I read a MAYO thing on that, citing that most cases there was a symptom or two in the days or even weeks prior, but was typically ignored... I just wonder if they may be so subtle it was easy to do so or something. But, that sucks if you just stand up and then that's it... wtf

I'm a little nervous about that sort of thing.  Why?  Because I've seen loved ones close to me have triple b-passes and stints and stuff.   My step father had an attack while..duh duh duhnnn shoveling snow back in 1999 ... he's alive and well now thanks as you say, to modern medicine.  But prior generational he'd a been a gonner.  

My biological father just had a full cardio work up ..nuclear stress test even... at 75 years of age and was cleared, despite being on blood pressure meds for five decades.  Said he had the cardiac health and vascular venting of a much younger man. The rest of him? Yeah, piece of schit... so he complains, including his attitude, but that's all a different thing :)    However, his father (my g-dad) died abruptly at 84 from a massive event.  So although it's not altogether hugely prevalent in my family... it's not absent either. And, my family is after all American, and we are all unwitting, you, me, the users of this forum, and everyone they know... victims of the "Industrial Food Complex" ... which hasn't been altogether honest about what processing of simple carbs and sugars does to both BP and heart health.  

I don't drink or smoke.  I sleep, work out, and eat well, and religiously work out three to four times a week, rigorously.  I am not over weight.  My BP probably needs to be checked out seeing as my dad had it, and he never drank either.  They don't call it the 'silent killer' for nothing.  My hands get cold at my desk and I get posterior hypotension when I stand up too quickly...which is consistent with normal BP... but, instead of getting checked out I hate doctors and hospitals and suffer white-coat syndrome ... 

God...sometimes i think it's better if we were just born dolphins to dogs... they don't care because ignorance is bliss.  

28 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Looks like the 21Z RPM is pulling back east/cold soln from the 18Z cycle. Not that i trust that thing, but nice to see the westward trend stop and move the other way so close to the event. 

Looks like it went from almost over ORH at 18z to over MVY at 21z. Finally coming back to reality.

5 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

March 1st 2005 is the top CIPS analog for the NAM at 36. 03/06/18 12zrun

I have PTSD from that storm....was supposed to be 8-12" here and the jackpot but then some sort of convective blob formed over LI and tracked over SE MA and robbed a lot of moisture/circulation....and PYM got like 14" in 5 hours when they were supposed to have mixing issues. When actual real convective feedback goes wrong, lol. (or right if you were down there)

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I have PTSD from that storm....was supposed to be 8-12" here and the jackpot but then some sort of convective blob formed over LI and tracked over SE MA and robbed a lot of moisture/circulation....and PYM got like 14" in 5 hours when they were supposed to have mixing issues. When actual real convective feedback goes wrong, lol. (or right if you were down there)

I forget exactly what i got from that in North Haven but if i remember it as the storm that i am thinking...it was def warning amounts around 6-8"

Just now, The 4 Seasons said:

I forget exactly what i got from that in North Haven but if i remember it as the storm that i am thinking...it was def warning amounts around 6-8"

Yeah we still did well....but not what was forecast....I recall around 6" or so.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We take!

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

NortheastRadar-0500Z-01Mar05.gif

1 minute ago, The 4 Seasons said:

me too, fingers crossed. 1 or 15 wouldnt surprise me honestly

Yup. This will take the edge off a bit. Almost all models have that 12" line within spitting distance to the northwest. But hey, come what come may, time and the hour run through the roughest day.

GYX is calling for 8-12 tomorrow night with additional moderate on Thursday.  I'll deal if we can get some wind.  Meanwhile, Pit1 below--ftw.

Wednesday

Snow likely in the morning, then snow in the afternoon. Snow may be heavy at times in the afternoon. Snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches. Cold. Near steady temperature in the upper 20s. Northeast winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph. Chance of snow near 100 percent.

Wednesday Night
Snow. Snow may be heavy at times in the evening. Total snow accumulation of 18 to 24 inches. Near steady temperature in the upper 20s. Northeast winds 15 to 20 mph, becoming north 10 to 15 mph after midnight. Gusts up to 30 mph. Chance of snow near 100 percent.

Thursday
Cloudy with a 50 percent chance of snow. Cold with highs in the mid 30s. Northwest winds around 10 mph with gusts up to 25 mph.

44 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

People posted the 925 Euro maps, didn't seem to be any indication elevation played a role

Yeah if you are going full EURO I agree.  We'll see.  I think you have to blend it to some degree.  Mix the GFS with the EURO and I still think there will be an elevation aspect all things the same.  But as usual mid-level banding and such will have a bigger impact.

Well ... okay ... this is a solid straight up and squared away, no arguments, no holds-barred test for the Euro.

Either it is right ... and it snows more along I-95 more convincingly, or everyone else that is finding reasons to abut it's output are going to be right.  Interesting -

1 minute ago, forkyfork said:

i don't... i took it from ray martin's page: 

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/2005/28-Feb-05.html

oh i've seen that page.   I bet if looked enough we'd find some source on the web that has stored rad loops at least from noteworthy events...   Some one could make a buck if they created one.. Like, since radar was invented... anything over 4-6" matched against cips anologs/ modeling before hand... holy crap what a tool that would be.  And, people would pay to see those...

so who's got the free time! 

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

oh i've seen that page.   I bet if looked enough we'd find some source on the web that has stored rad loops at least from noteworthy events...   Some one could make a buck if they created one.. Like, since radar was invented... anything over 4-6" matched against cips anologs/ modeling before hand... holy crap what a tool that would be.  And, people would pay to see those...

There are a few good radar loop pages out there.  Something like out in Iowa I think had a good one... no idea the link though, lol.  You could plug in any date and any radar and get the loop.

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/nexradinv/map.jsp

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I believe you can just go to NCDC's site and get them. They've got the archive of pretty much everything that's ever come out of NWS or its predecessor the WBAN. The interface sucks, but when you have that volume of archival data it's not surprising.

Archived