Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Median to above confidence for moderate (major?) impact event, midweek

Typhoon Tip

13 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Probably be gravity waves with that kind of fast sudden core of UVM. Might even have to consider fold event although that would probably be in the southside of the low if there's a sting jet

Not the strongest signal I've ever seen, but some modeling last night was indicating one just east of the Cape as the storm occludes.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Also in addition to what Will said, we actually want the high RH with respect to ice. 

So 80-90% with respect to water, and 100+% with respect to ice is ideal. That way super-cooled water preferentially deposits on ice nuclei and it's a better set up for less dense (dendritic) snow.

ahhh so is that what that option is on bufkit to overlay RH (ice)? This explains everything...and we do have values exceeding 100% within the SGZ which is exactly what we want!!!

Just now, weatherwiz said:

ahhh so is that what that option is on bufkit to overlay RH (ice)? This explains everything...and we do have values exceeding 100% within the SGZ which is exactly what we want!!!

Right. That's why it's there.

I mean the overlap of omega and the DGZ is a really strong signal at this point for a warning event. Nearly all warning events have the max omega at or just below the DGZ, while events that don't show that rarely hit warning.

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

Not the strongest signal I've ever seen, but some modeling last night was indicating one just east of the Cape as the storm occludes.

Yeah I wasn't sure I just was seeing that negative tilt with that VMax moving north and I start wondering. Not sure that phenomenon is very well modeled

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah I wasn't sure I just was seeing that negative tilt with that VMax moving north and I start wondering. Not sure that phenomenon is very well modeled

Almost certainly not well modeled. But I noticed a few runs of the GFS there was cutting off the warm air (seclusion) and when I overlaid the 925 winds there was a backside 60 knot jet that formed before the retrograde.

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

Right. That's why it's there.

I mean the overlap of omega and the DGZ is a really strong signal at this point for a warning event. Nearly all warning events have the max omega at or just below the DGZ, while events that don't show that rarely hit warning.

I remember coming across that in a powerpoint I read the other day which was actually done by Wes Junker! I can't believe I never thought to do RH w/ice. That all makes so much sense now. 

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

I remember coming across that in a powerpoint I read the other day which was actually done by Wes Junker! I can't believe I never thought to do RH w/ice. That all makes so much sense now. 

Alternatively, you could just do it by proxy and make sure RH with respect to water is 80-90%.

25 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

That's interesting...yeah I wonder why it would do that. That's a great observation. I do find it a bit hard pressed to see that much dry air within the zone looking at 700mb RH values...there does seem to be some sort of odd dry slot at 500mb which quickly saturates. But there is a decent surge of drier which tries to work in at 700mb which doesn't quite work into CT but perhaps the nose of that could enhance convective elements? 

Post that with respect to ice.

edit...oops late to the party.

Archived