Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Median to above confidence for moderate (major?) impact event, midweek

Typhoon Tip

2 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

We did learn this stuff at UNC Asheville my senior year, but we also spent more time calculating frontogenesis, temperature gradient, convergence, etc than applying them. Met schools taught us to be atmospheric scientists, not weather forecasters.

Yep.

We did alot of application in Weather Analysis and Forecasting which was actually a ton of fun. What I wish we kinda did was actually apply them to real-time model data instead of just a given example with numbers. Like it would be fun to look at a 500mb vorticity chart, and then have some data to work with and spit out some calculations. 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, DomNH said:

Met degree is 85% calculus and physics, 15% practical application. 

Gotta say this surprised me after watching TWC for years growing up thinking that's what meteorology was about. Boy was I wrong since I was thinking it would be a couple years of the prerequisites, then snowstorm classes for the back half of undergrad.

Just now, snowman21 said:

Gotta say this surprised me after watching TWC for years growing up thinking that's what meteorology was about. Boy was I wrong since I was thinking it would be a couple years of the prerequisites, then snowstorm classes for the back half of undergrad.

Snowstorm Names 214...

Early American Bombogenesis 317

Slant Sticking 141

4 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

Formal education tends to suck the joy out of everything. That's why I think it makes sense to keep your hobbies as hobbies and get a career in something you tolerate but for which you don't have a lifelong passion that you'd prefer to not extinguish...

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

We covered all of that in plym in meso. 

http://www.plymouth.edu/graduate/files/2011/12/MT548001Koermer.pdf

We covered it at UML, but without very much forecast application. 

3 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I know the UML one was pretty brutal when I was there mid 80s-early 90s...I never even sniffed that major,  the students I knew then who took it were challenged at least as much as the engineering majors I knew. The math alone kept me away

Still brutal, but I think right after I graduated they started to implement more forecasting classes and less hardcore dynamics/physics classes. My class took the full brunt of it.

1 minute ago, snowman21 said:

Lol...the dream of every met major that is also a weenie. 

43 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

One is focused on the major east coast metro areas and the other is focused on ct?

Possible...but he was hitting the winds on TWC.  And that it was moving along good. But maybe that’s the difference? 

Was just interesting...that they said opposite things on two different points.

im of course with RYAN for sure.  

5 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

We did alot of application in Weather Analysis and Forecasting which was actually a ton of fun. What I wish we kinda did was actually apply them to real-time model data instead of just a given example with numbers. Like it would be fun to look at a 500mb vorticity chart, and then have some data to work with and spit out some calculations. 

We did that with an ancient weather program known as GARP using big mid-latitude cyclones from last year. It was a weekly group project (with partners rotating) where one person pick out an active storm and do bunch of calculation to determine if the cyclone is undergoing cyclogenesis or cyclolysis using several terms of quasi geostrophic vorticity equations. 

Now I'm having bad flashbacks.

Just now, WxBlue said:

We did that with an ancient weather program known as GARP using big mid-latitude cyclones from last year. It was a weekly group project (with partners rotating) where one person pick out an active storm and do bunch of calculation to determine if the cyclone is undergoing cyclogenesis or cyclolysis using several terms of quasi geostrophic vorticity equations. 

Now I'm having bad flashbacks.

Oh man the memories. GARP and GEMPAK.

Well, we don’t have true overunning or a prolonged waa with this. lots of mood flakes early Wed. Then it is mostly ccb with a some waa and wrap around DIT snows depending on location. Kinda like Feb 13 in that regards. So, southern areas will see 8-12hrs of good accumulating stuff with 4-6 hours on both ends. If gfs is correct everyone sees flakes for days, maybe weeks. 

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

Lol the guy just said it again that it’s moving a long on TWC...go figure???? No slow movement or possible stahl in their discussion/synopsis.

Heard the same thing on the news on a couple of stations here, fast mover. Not saying it lasts forever but this is not in and out in 9 hours.

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Well, we don’t have true overunning or a prolonged waa with this. lots of mood flakes early Wed. Then it is mostly ccb with a splash of waa and wrap around DIT snows depending on location. Kinda like Feb 13 in that regards. So, southern areas will see 8-12hrs of good accumulating stuff with 4-6 hours on both ends. If gfs is correct everyone sees flakes for days, maybe weeks. 

I was thinking the same thing about Feb 13...that thing snowed lightly all day..then went Bazurk at about 5 pm...and it was done by 5 am.  

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Jesus christ. You have your name all over social media. Are you for real?

Lol  twas a joke but Mr Wood was highly offended at the time. Where do you see me on social media. I dont care at all. My life is an open book and my home is highly protected by mean dogs and other sundry defense mechanisms . Actually the big dogs are ***** cats but look the part 

26 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I know the UML one was pretty brutal when I was there mid 80s-early 90s...I never even sniffed that major,  the students I knew then who took it were challenged at least as much as the engineering majors I knew. The math alone kept me away

The math alone is what trims the class sizes from 20 to 5 from Freshman year to Senior year.

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Lol  twas a joke but Mr Wood was highly offended at the time. Where do you see me on social media. I dont care at all. My life is an open book and my home is highly protected by mean dogs and other sundry defense mechanisms . Actually the big dogs are ***** cats but look the part 

His clients appreciate the additional media attention he gets now,  expands the brand name.   

Is your roof all battened down?

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

His clients appreciate the additional media attention he gets now,  expands the brand name.   

Is your roof all battened down?

Yep TB and I reinstalled. Tree guy coming for estimate Friday,  Take um down take um all down, fukin Gypsy Moths

Archived