joxey
Median to above confidence for moderate (major?) impact event, midweek

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

WSW up already for Wednesday. That’s early. She coming hard I guess

The general consensus was that there was definitely 50% confidence is a large part of the area getting at least 6"

I mean just look at the Euro probs, 70-80% for much of the area. That's pushing warning confidence.

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

The general consensus was that there was definitely 50% confidence is a large part of the area getting at least 6"

I mean just look at the Euro probs, 70-80% for much of the area. That's pushing warning confidence.

Yeah plus it’s moving in faster with snow In here by daybreak on Wednesday 

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Yeah plus it’s moving in faster with snow I here by daybreak on Wednesday 

I don't think it's going to really start pounding until closer to midday, but there is some pretty good isentropic upglide across a lot of New England early in the day. Wouldn't shock me to see a steady light snow start ahead of the heavy, heavies.

6 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

The setup is very hard to hate away from the immediate coast in SNE. Even the immediate coast could pound out big numbers in paste but still some stuff that could go wrong for them (temps, dryslot on closer tucked track)...but the interior isn't going to have those problems. Maybe far enough west you could slightly worry about an escape east enough to prevent warning snows, but even that is looking less likely. 

I'm excited that most all of us are going to get a big storm.  Looks like 1-2ft over a large area.  I'm struck by how slow moving it is and that suggests that lollies might approach 3' for areas that get deform or CCB with high ratios.  I'll take the over on 28" for someone in New England with this storm.  Finally, this feels like a classic new england noreaster, not particularly hard to forecast (in the large sense) and really good for most.  Thought we'd have more of this this winter, at least up here.  It is good to see some actual blocking setting up and helping us.  I wonder when we'll finally get more hope on the Atlantic side for longer parts of seasons going forward.  This and maybe the next one would be a great close to winter, kinda like the 2 biggies late last winter. 

I hope my moving truck can get here to Dover Thursday morn to move us to Boscawen.

5 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Its going to phase later...just watch and wait.

I like being east for this one.......remember, the -PNA won't help matters relative to phase time. It's deconstructive interference with the NAO, and will try to move it along like we saw with the flizzard on Friday.

Maine or bust.

This could easily be a screw job in my next of the woods with BL issues to start and the possibility of the low being too far east if the Euro pans out (though it has been too far east with recent storms). While not a major snow we still may eek out 4-8 in the CPV.

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

It’s on its own. Well, cmc backs it...enough said.

Yeah, it's had a tendency to be a little SE with storms this winter too. Both Jan and the last one. Nammy would be ideal for us (not that I put too much faith in that either). Wild omega greater than -36 microbars from 800-600mb.

3 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Yeah, it's had a tendency to be a little SE with storms this winter too. Both Jan and the last one. Nammy would be ideal for us (not that I put too much faith in that either). Wild omega greater than -36 microbars from 800-600mb.

A compromise will work. I also find euro qpf to be subpar, in general.

GYX is liking the EC.

05.00z ECMWF EPS has
increased probabilities from the 04.12z run for all categories
of snowfall. The chances of 6 plus inches now sits around 80
percent for most of the forecast area...with a mean of a foot
showing up near the coast. With that strong support and signals
from model guidance I feel confident enough to issue a winter
storm watch for the entire forecast area. While there are still
details to be worked out...a widespread double digit snowfall
looks increasingly likely.

3 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

We're discussing a storm Wed/Thu i.e. a "moderate-major impact event midweek" as the title says.

Sorry....yes that’s what I thought but a reply or two where Friday’s storm was discussed given it’s just sittin and spinnin OTS....whatever....here’s to Wednesday 

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

I was really surprised with how early they went out... didn't expect BTV to have watches out on Monday morning.

Archived