Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Upstate/Eastern New York

5 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Who is Dave?

rochesterdave, but with that said, he nailed the whole -NAO pattern game-changer comment. It's been a wild ride this March.

(It’s retrograde season. Get ready! Could be fun. That big Greenland block is gonna throw a wrench in the works. A good wrench.)

• Like 1

This is currently the third snowiest March on record at KSYR. Only 1993 with the Storm of the Century (42 inches) and 2001 were snowier. I think second place is reachable but I don’t know if we can break the record. Maybe if we can get that storm next week to come north 100 - 150 miles. 

Syracuse's snowiest months of March

Rank Year Inches
1 1993 54.4
2 2001 45
3 2018 42.2
4 1992 41.3
5 1984 40.3
6 1947 38.6
7 1971 37.2
8 1956 36
9 1950 33.9

Source: National Weather Service

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, vortmax said:

rochesterdave, but with that said, he nailed the whole -NAO pattern game-changer comment. It's been a wild ride this March.

(It’s retrograde season. Get ready! Could be fun. That big Greenland block is gonna throw a wrench in the works. A good wrench.)

- Naos almost always lead to retrograding lows due to blocking. 

31 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

This is currently the third snowiest March on record at KSYR. Only 1993 with the Storm of the Century (42 inches) and 2001 were snowier. I think second place is reachable but I don’t know if we can break the record. Maybe if we can get that storm next week to come north 100 - 150 miles. 

Syracuse's snowiest months of March

Rank Year Inches
1 1993 54.4
2 2001 45
3 2018 42.2
4 1992 41.3
5 1984 40.3
6 1947 38.6
7 1971 37.2
8 1956 36
9 1950 33.9

Source: National Weather Service

KSYR probably reaches 2nd place today and tonight...if not there already.  If we do, only need a miserly 10" to get to #1.  If we all pull together we can do this! ;)

Could be. I'm usually careful with drawing too many broad conclusions from select data sets but i would think that's consistent with the GW idea. I think we know in general earth has warmed, by how much is a matter of some debate and the causes of such even more so. But that's a subject for another forum, which I usually avoid because everyone's an "expert" and have their minds made up and heels dug in, one way or another...
I'd be curious to see a study of Lake Ontario water temps along with air temps and perhaps other relevant atmospheric conditions over that period.  Because that chart looks like an increase in lake snows happened over that 30 yr period compared to the previous one.
It's all cyclical, what GW? One of the biggest hoax's in history as this all happened before and worse but I digress as this is NOT a GW thread, sorry!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

It's all cyclical, what GW? One of the biggest hoax's in history as this all happened before and worse but I digress as this is NOT a GW thread, sorry!

Not only do you whine all the time but you're delusional too! Go take some Earth science classes, you obviously need 'em

• Like 1

Not only do you whine all the time but you're delusional too! Go take some Earth science classes, you obviously need 'em
I graduated from OSU, idiot, and I thought I blocked you? I will now, as millenials ( Children of the Corn) shouldn't even speak, when not spoken to, child!

12Z Euro looks like it's on the 12z GFS idea of more suppressed for next Wed storm. But ive only perused the h5 and slp panels.  Will be interesting to see how this modelology plays out over the weekend runs.
I doubt it stays that surrpressed as the NAO is making it's way to the Light, lol! Phase change always means trouble. The Nao is not the only tele that's changing phases.

I missed some banter. Yeah, I was wrong trying to sign off a week ago. Real wrong. 

Suppression is still the concern. I like the set up. It might be a PA thing but I can’t see it being a DC snowstorm. I think we need the NAO to break down (no?) it’s not my area of strength or interest. 

Looks like we’ve attracted a few new contributing members. I hope they stick around. 

KSYR only 1.4" yesterday. Up to 43.6" for Morch...only need 2" I believe to jump to 2nd snowiesst Morch ever. We can get that by accident around here but getting first looks like a bigger stretch based on model trends right now.  Need a solid 12" and next week looks like it vaporized on us.  Not surprising as whenever the media start pimping a storm 8 days out, classic weenie trap.

My thermometer registered a numbing 1 degree for a low last night, brutally cold for the middle of March. With the mid week systems almost definitely missing us it looks like maybe next weekend might be our last chance for a significant snowfall. The pattern is changing and after next weekend we’ll be staring at April. At least I won’t have to worry about an early first mow this year!

• Haha 1

Went snowshoeing again this morning, this time open field snowshoeing in my yard and neighboring fields...trying to track down a wounded deer my lunatic husky had cornered in my yard. To no avail. That snow is deep and has a crust on it now.  I cant recall snowshoeing here this late, on March 18 and 19.  Thinking this winter gets an A- or B+.  There have been some demerits for poor performance but overall solid for total snow and seasonal duration. We've gone the distance.

This winter does score high marks for longevity, extreme cold early and several significant if not crippling snow events. The main factor bringing my overall grade down is the insanely warm spell in February and lack of an extremely deep snow cover at any time. When you set the all time record high temperature for February at KSYR it can’t be ignored. A couple of weeks ago I would have graded this winter a C+/B- but recent snows have brought the grade up to a B.