• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

5 hours ago, blackrock said:

Ok...so, just to give you guys some perspective. Winter pretty much ended here in West Michigan after the first week of JANUARY. DRY and boring with a couple of several inch rainstorms thrown in there. Three winters in a row. Winter has been much better over there.

On that note, my chances of moving to REDFIELD are greatly increasing. Wife and I are looking to go do a final interview in mid-April and will be in the area checking things out. I can't wait! The weather in West Michigan has been BORING the decade I have lived here.

Well, if u realy really like snow and living off the beaten path Redfield is the place.  I think even in the all time crappy winter we had a few years ago, KSYR had barely 45-50" IIRC, The Tug was still at 100"+...

7 hours ago, blackrock said:

Ok...so, just to give you guys some perspective. Winter pretty much ended here in West Michigan after the first week of JANUARY. DRY and boring with a couple of several inch rainstorms thrown in there. Three winters in a row. Winter has been much better over there.

On that note, my chances of moving to REDFIELD are greatly increasing. Wife and I are looking to go do a final interview in mid-April and will be in the area checking things out. I can't wait! The weather in West Michigan has been BORING the decade I have lived here.

Good luck with your job/house search! I am working on plans to move here. Hopefully by retirement. ^_^

bDZBvO1.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Syrmax said:

Well, if u realy really like snow and living off the beaten path Redfield is the place.  I think even in the all time crappy winter we had a few years ago, KSYR had barely 45-50" IIRC, The Tug was still at 100"+...

YES to both!!! :) I am going to compete with Carolyn Yerdon in Redfield on taking snowfall measurements...lol. Even though it is wonderfully rural :), Camden (20 minutes away) and Pulaski (25 minutes) have the daily things one might need (a.k.a. ALDI in Pulaski..haha)...and then 2 good sized cities only 45 minutes away (Rome and Watertown), and then 2 larger cities (Utica and Syracuse) an hour away. My wife and I aren't big fans of driving all over the place and running all over (can't stand that about Suburbia), so we are fine with small town living. But, there are actually some nice-sized cities not that far at all....with a pretty major airport less than an hour away. I consider that a win.

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Good luck with your job/house search! I am working on plans to move here. Hopefully by retirement. ^_^

bDZBvO1.jpg

Thanks! and...YAWN....lol. It would be wonderful for several weeks of the year...but I need all the seasons...well most of them...lol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

Winter no wanna end..

27F4CDB7-3BB7-49B2-B58A-E3FBFDA0E106.png

Yeah we are not going to the jump right into summer and bypass spring it appears. At least not thru early/mid April. We'll probably scratch out a few inches of snow in there somewhere...I'm hoping it happens before end of March at KSYR to at least claim 2nd snowiest March...there are sime chances but nothing major as of now.

Every day at BUF since Mar 1 has had a high temp below 40 deg (and Mar 1 was only 40 on the dot). Guessing this is some sort of record for March, when we usually have big temp swings at least once every 5-10 days. 

On the big plus side, I don't remember such a long stretch of mostly clear skies.  The sun is great, but the air has been biting.  

On 3/22/2018 at 9:32 PM, wolfie09 said:

Looks like we may become  semi neighbors lol

Got 3 walkthroughs next week in northern Altmar about 4-5 miles SE of the salmon reservoir...My % of moving up there has greatly increased, the woman loves that area, which is all that matters :rolleyes:

Sweet! If I were you, I would try and get as far north and east of Altmar as possible. :P I wish I could be in North Redfield, but it looks like I'll probably be a few minutes directly east of Redfield. North Redfield seems to get plastered harder during certain events...but the "town" of Redfield seems to be in a better location for lake effect snow from different wind directions (like if there is more of a northwesterly component). Seems like it would average out. From doing lots of research, it appears that Redfield "proper" (lol) does best on a direct Westerly wind of a 270 degree flow.

23 hours ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Every day at BUF since Mar 1 has had a high temp below 40 deg (and Mar 1 was only 40 on the dot). Guessing this is some sort of record for March, when we usually have big temp swings at least once every 5-10 days. 

On the big plus side, I don't remember such a long stretch of mostly clear skies.  The sun is great, but the air has been biting.  

It's brutal. The sun is definitely deceiving. If it's going to be this cold, mine as well snow. If not give me 60s/70s. March and April are the worst months of the year. 

49 minutes ago, blackrock said:

Sweet! If I were you, I would try and get as far north and east of Altmar as possible. :P I wish I could be in North Redfield, but it looks like I'll probably be a few minutes directly east of Redfield. North Redfield seems to get plastered harder during certain events...but the "town" of Redfield seems to be in a better location for lake effect snow from different wind directions (like if there is more of a northwesterly component). Seems like it would average out. From doing lots of research, it appears that Redfield "proper" (lol) does best on a direct Westerly wind of a 270 degree flow.

Redfield does well with every wind direction if you get elevation. 

I’m looking at north east Altmar (some consider it Orwell?) Only about 700 feet asl, but I don’t need 350” haha , Altmar/Orwell do pretty well lol Check out the lake effect archive ..(if u haven’t already)

https://www.weather.gov/buf/lesEventArchive?season=2017-2018&event=A

Trying to relocate just SE of the salmon river reservoir but still early in the process, keeping all options open ;)

5 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

I’m looking at north east Altmar (some consider it Orwell?) Only about 700 feet asl, but I don’t need 350” haha , Altmar/Orwell do pretty well lol Check out the lake effect archive ..(if u haven’t already)

https://www.weather.gov/buf/lesEventArchive?season=2017-2018&event=A

Trying to relocate just SE of the salmon river reservoir but still early in the process, keeping all options open ;)

Oh, yes. I have looked at those maps over and over and over again...drooling....lol. Orwell to Altmar to Williamstown to Camden look like the outer edge/start of the best snows with it only increasing north and east of that line until the other side of the Tug.

If I can end up there...hopefully it will appease my snow fix. There is a dude on our Great Lakes sub-forum who lives up in the snow belt in the UP of Michigan...gets a couple hundred inches of snow a winter with consistent snow depth of 3 to 5 feet...and it still isn't enough for him. Considering I would be doing LOTS of snow cleanup, I think it will be plenty for me.

If you all do end up near the Tug, you should enlist in data reporting...CoCoRaHs...I’m sure it would be of interest as I’m not sure how much full or regular reporting they get out of that area...snow depth, liquid equivalents etc. Not sure if Yerden does all that or just measures snowfall.  

1 hour ago, Syrmax said:

If you all do end up near the Tug, you should enlist in data reporting...CoCoRaHs...I’m sure it would be of interest as I’m not sure how much full or regular reporting they get out of that area...snow depth, liquid equivalents etc. Not sure if Yerden does all that or just measures snowfall.  

Definitely! I have already been thinking about it, and planning. She is located in North Redfield, where I will most likely be located between Redfield and North Osceola. Many of their snowfall maps are based off of the very few spotters they have, so it would be awesome to be a part of specifying micro-climates in the Tug region.

3 hours ago, blackrock said:

Oh, yes. I have looked at those maps over and over and over again...drooling....lol. Orwell to Altmar to Williamstown to Camden look like the outer edge/start of the best snows with it only increasing north and east of that line until the other side of the Tug.

If I can end up there...hopefully it will appease my snow fix. There is a dude on our Great Lakes sub-forum who lives up in the snow belt in the UP of Michigan...gets a couple hundred inches of snow a winter with consistent snow depth of 3 to 5 feet...and it still isn't enough for him. Considering I would be doing LOTS of snow cleanup, I think it will be plenty for me.

Yeah personally I think it is actually a mental illness lol. I don't personally understand it. The guy Will in Houghton gets 300" a year and Weatherbo up in the hills probably gets around that too. Weatherbo is planning on moving to the hills of the West because it still isn't enough snow. What would a doctor diagnose that as? ^_^ I like and enjoy snow, but personally it's not even my favorite season. I like all extreme weather events equally. The people who live in these locations don't even participate in the best parts of it. Snowboarding/Skiing/Snowshoeing/Snowmobiling/pond ice hockey. They just sit in their house and look outside at big snow banks. To each their own I guess. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was in Redfield and in North Redfield yesterday, in town the snow is pretty then thin but north Redfield has a crazy amount still. Redfield in town still get's a good amount of snow every year but nowhere near what north does. People we're still riding snowmobile in town and the rez but after today i bet it's shot. Of all the year's I have been going to Redfield it always amazes me the difference in snow in just a handful of miles north Redfield get's from right in town. Also over near Pulaski and Sandy Creek and pretty much zero snow in both those towns. 

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah personally I think it is actually a mental illness lol. I don't personally understand it. The guy Will in Houghton gets 300" a year and Weatherbo up in the hills probably gets around that too. Weatherbo is planning on moving to the hills of the West because it still isn't enough snow. What would a doctor diagnose that as? ^_^ I like and enjoy snow, but personally it's not even my favorite season. I like all extreme weather events equally. The people who live in these locations don't even participate in the best parts of it. Snowboarding/Skiing/Snowshoeing/Snowmobiling/pond ice hockey. They just sit in their house and look outside at big snow banks. To each their own I guess. 

Haha! Yeah, I was referring to Bo. It doesn't get enough snow, and isn't rural enough for him. :) He seems like a great guy though...he is a young guy with both parents passing away way too young...so he has the freedom to go wherever pretty easily.

Fall is actually my favorite season...by far...but snow is my favorite type of weather.

52 minutes ago, Revracer800 said:

I was in Redfield and in North Redfield yesterday, in town the snow is pretty then thin but north Redfield has a crazy amount still. Redfield in town still get's a good amount of snow every year but nowhere near what north does. People we're still riding snowmobile in town and the rez but after today i bet it's shot. Of all the year's I have been going to Redfield it always amazes me the difference in snow in just a handful of miles north Redfield get's from right in town. Also over near Pulaski and Sandy Creek and pretty much zero snow in both those towns. 

The town itself is a bit lower in elevation than much of the rest of "Redfield." From checking out maps, it looks like some years the town and south do better...while other years north does better. Probably depends on predominant wind directions. If there is any type of SW direction in the flow, north does better...and can dump because of fetch and topography.

34 minutes ago, blackrock said:

Haha! Yeah, I was referring to Bo. It doesn't get enough snow, and isn't rural enough for him. :) He seems like a great guy though...he is a young guy with both parents passing away way too young...so he has the freedom to go wherever pretty easily.

Fall is actually my favorite season...by far...but snow is my favorite type of weather.

The town itself is a bit lower in elevation than much of the rest of "Redfield." From checking out maps, it looks like some years the town and south do better...while other years north does better. Probably depends on predominant wind directions. If there is any type of SW direction in the flow, north does better...and can dump because of fetch and topography.

Wow I did not know that about Bo, that is crazy. I agree he is an awesome guy. I love fall and agree with you Lake Effect season is one of if not my favorite times of year. There is actually a good shot at April LES coming next week. It's very rare but not unheard of around here, especially where you're about to move. 

1 hour ago, Ottawa Blizzard said:

JB was saying on his Saturday summary that the MJO for the first week of April is looking similar to how it did in early April 1982. I doubt it'll get that cold though.

Yeah still 10 days out so we will see if it's still there in a few days. But it looks really cold. Buffalos average high goes over 50 on April 5th.