• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

KSYR has a shot at 150" for season which is an honest winter by any account. The record is about 195" or thereabouts (1992/93). Gonna be hard to approach that without another Storm O'Century type event here. And how many of thesse major storm opportunities can there possibly be left in the pipeline?

37 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

KSYR has a shot at 150" for season which is an honest winter by any account. The record is about 195" or thereabouts (1992/93). Gonna be hard to approach that without another Storm O'Century type event here. And how many of thesse major storm opportunities can there possibly be left in the pipeline?

If you look at the graph of seasonal snowfall for Syracuse that’s in the Post Standard every day you’ll see that we’re actually right where the ‘92-93 season was just before the big storm. It was the 42inches from that storm along with snow right into April that year that propelled KSYR into the record book with 192.1 inches of snow. 

30 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

Snowfall intensity has picked up but flake size is really bad, almost microscopic. 

This has to be due to limited forcing/lift, or it's not adequately co-located with the best Snow Growth Zone, I think. There's sufficient moisture present and it's cold enough.  If we had a real meteorologist in this forum they could probably better analyze the sounding. I only masquerade as one on 4Chan. ;)

nam3km_2018031412_fh8_sounding_KSYR.png

Looking at radar there appears to have been a subtle shift in wind direction. Returns are now coming from the north, even a little west of north. Earlier they were coming from the NE off the Tug Hill which seemed to put me in an area of subsidence thus lighter snowfall. Snowfall intensity has definitely picked up in the last hour. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

Looking at radar there appears to have been a subtle shift in wind direction. Returns are now coming from the north, even a little west of north. Earlier they were coming from the NE off the Tug Hill which seemed to put me in an area of subsidence thus lighter snowfall. Snowfall intensity has definitely picked up in the last hour. 

Good catch, that makes perfect sense. Downsloped FTL!

The sounding I posted is a forecast one and shows a NW wind below 700mb level...But if it's really N or NE...

Green returns are gonna start to engulf the area I think as winds better align themselves out of the NW!  As long as there's a moist cyclonic flow, snow should fly.  I can't believe there's actually another system in the pipeline as thats just NUTS!  The thing is, their not small events, but rather very impactful events that will go into the next KU book for sure.

41 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Didn't KBGM mention something about a SW moving through this evening some time that may enhance the snow thats already falling? I'm not so sure right now if it was them or KBUF but I know one of the offices said something like that but I guess it doesn't matter/

BUF An embedded shortwave trough is rounding the top of the upper low
and moving across Montreal where enhanced lift is causing widespread
moderate to heavy snow. This is expected to pivot southward across
the North Country/eastern Lake Plains of Lake Ontario this
afternoon/evening and accumulating snow will continue into tonight.

Sun angle is making for wet roads but getting some good accumulation on the grass. Snowing steady at estimated inch/hr rate for last 2 hours. About 6 inches on ground right now. Will take. 

Euro looked tasty for next Tuesday. Looked like potential double digits for majority of forum.

Well we have a winner, probably still snowing there too

LOCATION          STORM TOTAL     TIME/DATE   COMMENTS
                     SNOWFALL           OF
                     /INCHES/   MEASUREMENT

NEW YORK

...Chautauqua County...
   Gerry                 28.0   400 PM  3/14  Elevation 2012 feet

...Livingston County...
   Lima                   5.0   500 PM  3/14  Trained Spotter

...Monroe County...
   3 SE Fairport          7.0   340 PM  3/14  Trained Spotter
   2 NE Honeoye Falls     2.3   445 PM  3/14  CoCoRaHS

...Niagara County...
   North Tonawanda        3.6   350 PM  3/14  Co-Op Observer

I gotta be nearing 10-12" easy but it's virtually impossible to measure where I live as I live on an open 3 acre ranch with one tree, lol, so there's really no where to measure.  Accuracy gets thrown out the window but an average does well. I'll go out in a bit and measure in about 6 spots and run an avg.