• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
Upstate/Eastern New York

Surprised to see this...shaping up to be a nice event south of BUF.  

Winter Storm Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Buffalo NY
916 AM EST Fri Mar 9 2018

NYZ012-019-020-085-092230-
/O.UPG.KBUF.WW.Y.0055.000000T0000Z-180310T1000Z/
/O.NEW.KBUF.WS.W.0004.180309T1416Z-180310T1000Z/
Wyoming-Chautauqua-Cattaraugus-Southern Erie-
Including the cities of Warsaw, Jamestown, Olean, Orchard Park,
and Springville

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 AM EST SATURDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow. Additional snow accumulations of 4 to 8
  inches are expected, with locally higher storm total
  accumulations of 10 to 14 inches over the higher terrain of the
  Chautauqua Ridge and Boston Hills.

* WHERE...Wyoming, Chautauqua, Cattaraugus, and Southern Erie
  counties.

* WHEN...Until 5 AM EST Saturday.

I'm nearingr4in after that vicious Squall came through, actually we've been getting hit all morning here so it looks very wintery where I am but I'm sure other places in CNY feel quite differently. But as we all know these are very short-lived events and once again this one is no different, as the sun is starting to appear in and out of the clouds in between squalls or snow showers whatever you want to call them, so it's pretty much a done deal except of course if you're under that makeup and this evening south of Syracuse, what else is new

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

I so want this winter to come to an abrupt end anytime now it can happen, anytime!!

I'm right there with you...It looks like the super duper strat warming, historic neg NAO, or whatever mischief happened up in the arctic is doing the trick to keep winter holding on at our latitude though.  All I see on the long range models are days and days of cool/cold northwest flow, interrupted briefly by some stale and damp PAC air.  So March could be a long drudge on the path to spring...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Surprised to see this...shaping up to be a nice event south of BUF.  

Winter Storm Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Buffalo NY

NYZ012-019-020-085-092230-
/O.UPG.KBUF.WW.Y.0055.000000T0000Z-180310T1000Z/
/O.NEW.KBUF.WS.W.0004.180309T1416Z-180310T1000Z/
Wyoming-Chautauqua-Cattaraugus-Southern Erie-
Including the cities of Warsaw, Jamestown, Olean, Orchard Park,
and Springville

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 AM EST SATURDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow. Additional snow accumulations of 4 to 8
  inches are expected, with locally higher storm total
  accumulations of 10 to 14 inches over the higher terrain of the
  Chautauqua Ridge and Boston Hills.

* WHERE...Wyoming, Chautauqua, Cattaraugus, and Southern Erie
  counties.

* WHEN...Until 5 AM EST Saturday.

places in Northeast Ohio picked up a foot and a half already from lake enhanced. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

I'm right there with you...It looks like the super duper strat warming, historic neg NAO, or whatever mischief happened up in the arctic is doing the trick to keep winter holding on at our latitude though.  All I see on the long range models are days and days of cool/cold northwest flow, interrupted briefly by some stale and damp PAC air.  So March could be a long drudge on the path to spring...

Yeah it's still deep winter here. Light snow all day, windy, cold, 5-6" of concrete snow depth. The next 3 weeks look 30s/low 40s with chances of snow. April 6th can't come soon enough, Miami for 10 days! 

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah it's still deep winter here. Light snow all day, windy, cold, 5-6" of concrete snow depth. 

Curious what the snow cover stats show for this winter at BUF.  We had the early start in December and it seemed like every time we warmed up, a good shot of snow followed on its heels.  Except for that week or 2 in February where we torched, it seems like there's been a constant snow pack even at lower elevations around BUF.  

Just now, Buffalo Bumble said:

Curious what the snow cover stats show for this winter at BUF.  We had the early start in December and it seemed like every time we warmed up, a good shot of snow followed on its heels.  Except for that week or 2 in February where we torched, it seems like there's been a constant snow pack even at lower elevations around BUF.  

Yeah we have only have bare ground for 1-2 weeks here in February. Dec 6th on we have had at least an inch on the ground. 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The difference between one county is incredible, probably greater than any populated area in the USA. Northwestern Erie county averages 60-70" of snow per year, SouthEastern Erie County averages close to 200" a year. 

2018&cp=0

Erie county does get vastly different weather depending on location and elevation. I think it’s the only county that gets split for NWS alert packages. I was just thinking of how I’d like to live in the Boston Hills. I’m an MRI tech, so getting a job simply requires me being within 30 mins of a medical center. I like rural, woodsy living. 

32 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Occasional SN- here in the 'Cuse creating a very festive holiday atmosphere.  Except there's no holiday. And it's really not that festive either since it's near mid March.

Ugh tell me about it.  March to April timeframe is easily my least favorite time of the year, in this part of the country at least.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

Advisory just issued for an additional 6-10 tonight through the early part of Saturday but I don't see that at all but that's just me.

Additional 6-10" on top of the mountainous 0.5" already down?  ;)

4 hours ago, rochesterdave said:

Erie county does get vastly different weather depending on location and elevation. I think it’s the only county that gets split for NWS alert packages. I was just thinking of how I’d like to live in the Boston Hills. I’m an MRI tech, so getting a job simply requires me being within 30 mins of a medical center. I like rural, woodsy living. 

Bertrand Chaffee Hospital is a full service medical center in Springfield! About 1400 feet above sea level, and within about five miles there are 2000 ft hilltops, plenty rural and woodsy.

41 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

So, you were you the one in charge of unit conversion on the Mars Climate Orbiter? ;)

I have been out of a job ever since. In retrospect, we have had three big snowstorms in the last 1.5 years. Nov. 2016 was a 2 to 3 ft dump locally. Last March storm was a 2ft + deal and last Friday was 15 to 30 areawide. Lived here a long time so not too shabby in my opinion. Problem is it can melt so dam fast. I am ready for 40's and 50's on a regular basis. Next Saturday might end up real nice.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rochesterdave said:

Reminds me of how I measure my own performance. The weather can humble the best among us. None of us are right all the time. 

Speak for yourself. :lmao:

Some snow falling in the Cuse now. Hard to assess over this glass of wine.