• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

14 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

A Lot of lightning in nj..Thunder sleet reported in AC..

E0D987D5-4E23-4BA2-8CB6-4544C21769BC.jpeg

Nice convection, but I always feel like thunder during frozen p-type that isn't snow is a bit of a cheat, because graupel, sleet, and hail just generate so much more frictional charge than dendrites. I mean, you have to have pretty intense convection for actual thundersnow in a synoptic storm, which is awesome and rare. LES thundersnow is cool, but I remember hearing thundersnow when I lived in Boston during the March 1993 coastal blizzard, and that made a huge impression on me. I think we can all agree that people who freak out about thunder during graupel or sleet events are rank amateurs.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

The snowstorm is over, the sun is breaking through, lol. 

That band that has been moving through Western NY during the morning really crapped out fast. By the time it passes through Buffalo in the next half hour, it isn't likely to be more than a short period of wind gusts. I don't have my hopes up for much, but even that minor burst of snow seems to have been too much to hope for.

25 minutes ago, WNash said:

Nice convection, but I always feel like thunder during frozen p-type that isn't snow is a bit of a cheat, because graupel, sleet, and hail just generate so much more frictional charge than dendrites. I mean, you have to have pretty intense convection for actual thundersnow in a synoptic storm, which is awesome and rare. LES thundersnow is cool, but I remember hearing thundersnow when I lived in Boston during the March 1993 coastal blizzard, and that made a huge impression on me. I think we can all agree that people who freak out about thunder during graupel or sleet events are rank amateurs.

Even that last system with quite a few strikes of lightning and a rapidly deepening system in the perfect spot to hit us was nothing compared to the LES events we have had even earlier this year. Synoptic like we just had is awesome, but nothing competes with a strong LES band. They're not even close.

• Like 1

Saw the PHL AFD...meso banding and heaviest snow further east than progged there...so despite heavy snow, surface temps in mid 30s are limiting accumulation...so I figure they will have a hard time seeing forecasted amts. Maybe get to bottom end of ranges?

Well, perusing NYC and SNE, other than a few locations with elevation away from the shoreline, or crooked rulers, I don't see high forecast snow totals materializing.  NYC reports, with photos show very little OTG. What a waste, but snowstorms at 35 degrees do that.

2 hours ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

The busts with this dud will be immense, lol!

No kidding! One Facebook weather group was calling for 2-4" in Toronto by Friday - we haven't seen anything! I don't know where they get their info from - no model was calling for that amount in the snow-hole, otherwise known as Toronto.

1 hour ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Dryslot is gonna shut everything off across all of SNE, lol, WOW I'd be extremely bummed if that occurred.

Looks like that meso banding in portions of NJ did a great job.  Some big totals of 16-24" in the affected counties in west, central NJ. Outside of that looks like 3-6" generally by scanning the PNS's.

10 minutes ago, BGM Blizzard said:

There has been a death band parked across ALY's western New England zones (Litchfield CT - Pittsfield MA - Bennington VT) for a while now. Has to be some 30+ totals coming out of the high terrain there.

Whoa there. We don't use that term which-shall-not-be-named in this forum. 

I was afraid this day would come. ;)

3 minutes ago, WxNoob said:

Looks like it’s absolutely puking snow over that way, Mother of god!

I wonder if that’s orographically enhanced as it seems to line up with the windward side of the Berkshires. Note the precipitation minimum on the NY side due to subsidence on the lee side. 

22 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

I wonder if that’s orographically enhanced as it seems to line up with the windward side of the Berkshires. Note the precipitation minimum on the NY side due to subsidence on the lee side. 

There have been many times the past several years that we've been sucking on subsidence while an intense snow band was parked over Western New England.  Probably about 8" or so between early this morning through this evening. Much less once you got from Glens Falls on north and much more once you got 20-25 miles SE of KALB.  So it could have been worse, but it was a bit of a let down.  Getting 22" in the first week of March is nothing to sneeze at however, especially after how the rest of the winter had gone.

• Like 1