• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

9 minutes ago, LakeEffectKing said:

One last nudge to the west with the mid-level forcing....absolute sweet moisture pump from our super friendly 850mb bomb!  Must be insane around Cobleskill!!!

That area in the triangle between SYR-ALB-BGM  is often a sweet spot for mesoscale banding during strong coastals.  Seen it many times, including the back-to-back blockbusters back in Xmas 2001 and a week later where we had 20-24” around ALB for each storm while in that region west of Albany 30+ jackpots occurred. Also in some other large synoptic events since.  We usually end up just being teased by these just to the east of us.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

That area in the triangle between SYR-ALB-BGM  is often a sweet spot for mesoscale banding during strong coastals.  Seen it many times, including the back-to-back blockbusters back in Xmas 2001 and a week later where we had 20-24” around ALB for each storm while in that region west of Albany 30+ jackpots occurred. Also in some other large synoptic events since.  We usually end up just being teased by these just to the east of us.

Agreed.  As much as the Tug is perfectly positioned for LES events, the eastern Dacks and Catskills are for the just offshore bombs....It's just that we've had quite of dearth of those type events over the last decade or so.  They were seemingly more common in the 70's and early 80's.

Gotta think there will be some "unofficial" reports nearing 4' by tomorrow morning for storm totals.....even without a slanted measuring tool.

• Haha 1

Valentines Day 2007 especially. The heaviest of around 4 feet was out toward Cherry Valley I believe.   The one in late February 2010 was more from this area down to the Catskillsl...46" here in that one and Hunter got 72".

16 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

16 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

Another 4.7 since  8 brings me to 10.8. The ride down Route 30 south out of Amsterdam must be pretty wild today. 

• Like 1

That was actually 2002/03.  Helderbergs here had 30-36" from the Christmas storm.

19 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

6 minutes ago, Logan11 said:

That was actually 2002/03.  Helderbergs here had 30-36" from the Christmas storm.

Yes you are right!  Would like to see winter wx patterns revert back to the 1960s-1990s where BGM to ALB and up into the deep interior of CNE and NNE were usually where to be for big snowstorms.  Not the insanity of the past decade’s coastal “blizzards.” 

49 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Yes you are right!  Would like to see winter wx patterns revert back to the 1960s-1990s where BGM to ALB and up into the deep interior of CNE and NNE were usually where to be for big snowstorms.  Not the insanity of the past decade’s coastal “blizzards.” 

take it from someone only 50 miles from the coast and often not close enough....it has been a beyond stupid ridiculous run for se ne zones

8 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

take it from someone only 50 miles from the coast and often not close enough....it has been a beyond stupid ridiculous run for se ne zones

Yeah, I grouse a lot about it as I spent mid 80s to 2000 in SE CT and b4 that the 60s/70s in NNJ and SEVA (where expectations are zero).  Other than 1995/96, it was like pulling teeth to get a decent snowstorm in SECT where we didn't mix, dryslot, or flat out rain. It scarred me for life. ;)

1 minute ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

Approaching 15 so far for this event that's still ongoing with the heaviest snow I've seen thus far in the event

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah we have hung on all day. I thought it was going to wind down this morning but no! This incoming batch rotating in looks closer to 3/4-1”/hr than the 1/2”/hr we’ve had all day

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I didn't think it was possible to get a 2" synoptic bomb across WNY. A lot of stuff has to come together right to get the totals we saw. Congrats to Eastern NY too, they deserve it more than anyone. Looks to continue there most of the night.

Congrats to all of you guys. As I expected, it was a bust for Toronto. We barely saw any snow out of this. 

still going here, impossible to measure, but had some significant drifts when i got home at 5

notice the drift on the gas grill on the porch to the right of the door in the 2nd pic

fence in pic 1 is probably 6' tall

porch.jpg

porch1.jpg

• Like 4

Yeah shes on life support right now with the last few bands swinging through from East to West and don't think it's gonna head the other way.  I gotta say, it definitely over-performed, my expectations were much much less as far as depth is concerned.  Its still coming down and there's still some more to come I think, perhaps 2" or less to make this an 18" synoptic event and definitely one for the next KU book!

• Like 1