SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Bomb Cyclone Obs Thread, March 1-3 2018

Rtd208

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Power back.  Lost it for 4 hours.  Local roads are a disaster.  Significant closures.  Trees down and debris everywhere.  Scattered patches of snow.  Major bust there.  

re:power lines.  our area is heavily wooded and the utility, con ed, allows the trees/branches to grow over the power lines and the roads.  They only cut the branches that are actually growing into the lines. Every time there’s a wind storm, there r trees down closing the roads and knocking out the power.   A couple of years ago, I happened to catch the guys when they were preparing to trim the branches, so I spoke to them and asked them why they didn’t just cut the trees down, instead of just the branches touching the lines, and they said if they cut the whole trees, they’ll have no branches to cut next year.  So, there’s that. 

Leaving before dawn for plattekill.  Gonna get me some snow!

17 minutes ago, Paragon said:

December 1992 had a lot more impact than March 1993 for us coastal people even though we had a foot of snow in March 1993.  The amazing winds and long duration and all that flooding, wow.  Five days later the winds were still howling.

The boats in my local harbor came unmoored and floated down the Arthur Kill, they were all saved though.

8 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Old field (port Jeff) exceeded 1992 levels today and was only 6” below Sandy levels. I heard flooding was really bad in port Jeff 

Wow.   Looked worse this morning here .  Forecast was major flooding tonight. 

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

What’s going on over there? Did you ever get an accumulation? Need to know what I do or don’t add to my season total? Also how did winds compare to 1/4? Thanks brotha!

Coating on cars like rjay said. Biggest wind we’ve had this season. When you start seeing multiple transformers blowing in the distance you know it’s legit. Not on the level of sandy or March 2010 of course but a good wind maker....  how much did you get up in southern VT?

Most SSWs impact either Asia or the US.  The belief is the increased landmass/vs ocean has something to do with that.  The last 2-3 major ones though have more impacted Europe going back to 2010 for whatever reason.  Its probably just pure randomness.  In reality this one DID impact the US as well but the Pacific being bad negated it,

I was doing some research and came across an interesting article. Dr. Cohen was essentially explaining the much like all other oscillations which can be East or West based, the AO is similar (Cohen, 2018). What is of more interest is the fact that he claims this warm up was a black swan event but due to the PV all the same.

Likewise he explains that low ice cover in the Barents-Kara Seas region translates to a rather negative AO. This is believed to be due to the allowing of heat to be transported pole ward which in turn can lead to the heat needed to cause a warming of the stratosphere and therefore a disruption of the PV (Cohen, 2018).

It gets more technical than this, yet this is the rather non technical summary of the article (at least that I believe 🤣). Yet, above all, Cohen (2018) exhibits what meteorology truly is; the study of the fluid physics that is the atmosphere. Every action creates an exact opposite reaction somewhere, and though we have general rules, we must realize that even a significantly AO can cause a record setting warmup.

Likewise, it is exactly the reason that mid latitude cyclones develop, to attempt to remedy an imbalance within the atmosphere. Therefore, record cold gas to be balanced out somehow; this time we just happened to be on the receiving end of the warmth.

By the way Cohen (2018) explained that this anomalous PV being displaced into Eurasia also helped to create the significantly negative NAO.

Cohen, J. (2018, February 26). Arctic Oscillation and Polar Vortex Analysis and Forecasts. Retrieved March 02, 2018, from https://www.aer.com/science-research/climate-weather/arctic-oscillation/

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, tdp146 said:

Coating on cars like rjay said. Biggest wind we’ve had this season. When you start seeing multiple transformers blowing in the distance you know it’s legit. Not on the level of sandy or March 2010 of course but a good wind maker....  how much did you get up in southern VT?

Yeah I figured. Looks like my elevation ideas worked out. 20” in the poconos and 30”+ in the Catskills 

here in Vermont I kept hoping that mega band that crushed the area just west of Albany would move east but it never did. It dumped last night that was hours of moderate today. 12” at my house and 15” at Stratton. Challenging but amazing day on the slopes it wasn’t exactly powder!

3 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Still no power, house is freaking cold :( Wind is still howling, trees are crackling and transformers are poppin'. They're still saying there's no estimate on getting the power back, grrrr. All the negatives aside this was (is?) a great late season storm.

Same here. Big limb came down up the street. Probably take til at least tomorrow to get power back. 

0302181951-1.jpg

2 hours ago, Hitman said:

Power back.  Lost it for 4 hours.  Local roads are a disaster.  Significant closures.  Trees down and debris everywhere.  Scattered patches of snow.  Major bust there.  

re:power lines.  our area is heavily wooded and the utility, con ed, allows the trees/branches to grow over the power lines and the roads.  They only cut the branches that are actually growing into the lines. Every time there’s a wind storm, there r trees down closing the roads and knocking out the power.   A couple of years ago, I happened to catch the guys when they were preparing to trim the branches, so I spoke to them and asked them why they didn’t just cut the trees down, instead of just the branches touching the lines, and they said if they cut the whole trees, they’ll have no branches to cut next year.  So, there’s that. 

Leaving before dawn for plattekill.  Gonna get me some snow!

Where in the HV do you live?

2 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

8.0 inch total.

One of the oddest storms totals wise in these parts I've ever seen. Can't wait to see the snow map, if done correctly it will be all over the place.

Do you think its even possible to do one? lol.. Like you said totals are all over the place!

2 hours ago, Rjay said:

A McDonald's sign just flew off and smashed into my car from across the street  

Billions and billions served... plus one. :(

Gusts are currently the strongest they've been all day here. The sustained buffetting has really diminished though. I vaguely remember that being a signature of isallobaric enhancement but maybe I'm wrong there? 

3 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Billions and billions served... plus one. :(

Gusts are currently the strongest they've been all day here. The sustained buffetting has really diminished though. I vaguely remember that being a signature of isallobaric enhancement but maybe I'm wrong there? 

Gusts here have been diminishing over the last hour. Still gusty but 45-50 mph vs over 60. Sometimes as these lows depart, high pressure building in can increase the gusts. Also there may be better mixing to the surface. If your temps are increasing without heavy precip, there may be better mixing. 

Archived