Bomb Cyclone Obs Thread, March 1-3 2018

Rtd208

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, snywx said:

Where in the Catskills did you end up @Juliancolton

Awesome pics!

Thanks! I spent Thursday night in Shandaken but things were a bit pedestrian there, so I left pretty early and sort of meandered around for the rest of the day just taking it all in. The most impressive conditions were in the West Kill area, where vis was near 0 and the snow was coming down so hard that it was accumulating on my hood despite the engine heat. 

9 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Thanks! I spent Thursday night in Shandaken but things were a bit pedestrian there, so I left pretty early and sort of meandered around for the rest of the day just taking it all in. The most impressive conditions were in the West Kill area, where vis was near 0 and the snow was coming down so hard that it was accumulating on my hood despite the engine heat. 

The area near East Jewett/Windham is an awesome snow location. I think it was back in 2007/08 there was an october storm that dropped 2-3' there. Once you took a 3 mile drive past Tannersville it literally dwindled to 0. Impressive microclimate there. 

8 minutes ago, snywx said:

The area near East Jewett/Windham is an awesome snow location. I think it was back in 2007/08 there was an october storm that dropped 2-3' there. Once you took a 3 mile drive past Tannersville it literally dwindled to 0. Impressive microclimate there. 

Yep, that's the exact same pattern I experienced. I think I mentioned it once already, but when I passed through the hilly back roads near Jewett in the early afternoon, I wandered into a field a bit away from the road and measured 2 feet. Crazy depth up there for midway through the event.

I was planning to do some hiking for more immersive photos but forgot my spikes at home. :( Need to take up snowshoeing next season, long overdue.

Archived