Newest Member
    joxey
Bomb Cyclone Obs Thread, March 1-3 2018

Rtd208

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Juliancolton said:

And that's not a fluff bomb either. Good to be reminded that spots around here can pull that off. 

The Snowicane 2010 was probably the biggest heavy/wet snow storm I can remember here. 11” of paste. There have been a number of others that were 6-8”. I definitely like how picturesque that snow is vs the powdery stuff that blows into drifts. Unfortunately the flip side is that it takes trees and power lines down. 

4 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Gusts here have been diminishing over the last hour. Still gusty but 45-50 mph vs over 60. Sometimes as these lows depart, high pressure building in can increase the gusts. Also there may be better mixing to the surface. If your temps are increasing without heavy precip, there may be better mixing. 

That was my first instinct, but I've been holding steady at 32F for many hours now. I guess the column drying out would naturally promote warming/better mixing regardless of the ground temp, so that doed make sense. 

4 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

The Snowicane 2010 was probably the biggest heavy/wet snow storm I can remember here. 11” of paste. There have been a number of others that were 6-8”. I definitely like how picturesque that snow is vs the powdery stuff that blows into drifts. Unfortunately the flip side is that it takes trees and power lines down. 

28" of cement here for the snowicane! By far the heaviest Ive ever had to shovel

1 minute ago, snywx said:

I refused to dig out my mailbox lol.. I didn't get mail delivered for 2 weeks

I can’t imagine that amount of wet snow. Must’ve been crippling. Like you said, just moving it was near impossible, and I’m sure it took down a ton of trees and power lines. The worst part of that storm here was the wind. I remember it as one of the worst wind events I’ve experienced here until the March storm 3 weeks later which gusted my area up to 80. 

18 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

It shows you how elevation based it was because Sharon which could not be more than 15 miles north of them reported under 12

Driving east on NY 23A this afternoon, it went from 10" of snow at the Kaaterskill Falls trailhead at 1470 to rain and not even any slush on the ground by 1150 ft. It's always fascinating to have such a well-defined snow line in this part if the country.  

2 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Driving east on NY 23A this afternoon, it went from 10" of snow at the Kaaterskill Falls trailhead at 1470 to rain and not even any slush on the ground by 1150 ft. It's always fascinating to have such a well-defined snow line in this part if the country.  

1150 ft is also pretty high up, it’s not the river valley. Part of that is also where banding sets up. Might also be that the high elevation spot had heavier snow. 

16 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I still think back in awe sometimes at how blue the snow was down in the Fishkill area. Vague aqua tinting in banks and drifts happens in a lot of storms, but this stuff was literally glowing bright azure. 

Halloween storm was a blue bomb as well. Now that was a paste job!

It’s a little bit out of area for this forum, but Milford PA is the next town over from where I am in far northwest NJ, and they are in terrible shape. We got 10 inches; some places in Pike County PA are reporting 18 or more, especially up on the mountains. People have been stuck at the Walmart in Matamoras PA and other places in Milford area for 9-10 hours because there are so many trees/wires down they can’t get to their houses. Crazy! They’ve called in the National Guard to help.

NOUS41 KOKX 030234
PNSOKX
CTZ005>012-NJZ002-004-006-103>108-NYZ067>075-078>081-176>179-031434-

Public Information Statement
Spotter Reports
National Weather Service New York NY
934 PM EST Fri Mar 02 2018

The following are unofficial observations taken during the past 25
hours for the storm that has been affecting our region. Appreciation
is extended to highway departments, cooperative observers, Skywarn
spotters and media for these reports. This summary also is available
on our home page at weather.gov/nyc

********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************

LOCATION          STORM TOTAL     TIME/DATE   COMMENTS                   
                     SNOWFALL           OF 
                     /INCHES/   MEASUREMENT

CONNECTICUT

...Fairfield County...
   New Fairfield          5.0   340 PM  3/02  Broadcast Media         
   Brookfield             2.9   845 PM  3/02  CoCoRaHS                
   Danbury                2.8   705 PM  3/02  Public                  
   4 NNE Bethel           2.5   800 PM  3/02  CoCoRaHS                
   1 ENE Beaverbrook      2.0   800 PM  3/02  CoCoRaHS                

NEW JERSEY

...Bergen County...
   Franklin Lakes         5.1   700 PM  3/02  Public                  
   Ridgewood              0.2   400 PM  3/02  Trained Spotter         

...Essex County...
   West Orange            3.5   730 PM  3/02  Public                  

...Passaic County...
   West Milford           8.3   440 PM  3/02  Trained Spotter         
   Ringwood               7.2   745 PM  3/02  Trained Spotter         
   Bloomingdale           1.1   830 PM  3/02  Trained Spotter         

NEW YORK

...Nassau County...
   Plainview              0.3   350 PM  3/02  Trained Spotter         

...Orange County...
   Monroe                13.0   325 PM  3/02  Trained Spotter         
   Greenville             9.0   600 PM  3/02  1,200 ft elevation      
   South Blooming Grove   8.0   555 PM  3/02  Trained Spotter         
   Blooming Grove         5.3  1109 AM  3/02  Trained Spotter         
   Mount Hope             1.0   805 PM  3/02  Trained Spotter         

...Putnam County...
   Mahopac                7.6   700 PM  3/02  Public                  

...Queens County...
   Little Neck            0.5   910 PM  3/02  Trained Spotter         

...Richmond County...
   Oakwood Heights Stat   0.2   600 PM  3/02  CoCoRaHS                

...Westchester County...
   Armonk                 2.7   600 PM  3/02  Public                  

Greenville & Mount Hope are next door to each other yet look at the differences in totals.. I can vouch for both totals. Mount Hope is anywhere from 900-1100' so there isn't any difference in elevation. Just an example of the wackiness that went on out here today..

49 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I still think back in awe sometimes at how blue the snow was down in the Fishkill area. Vague aqua tinting in banks and drifts happens in a lot of storms, but this stuff was literally glowing bright azure. 

Supposedly the blue tint is from the water itself in the snow. 

37 degrees at noon, 8 inches of snow otg, looking like the first week of March is supposed to look like.

I know the planets warming but many referring to March as a spring month and looking forward to warm weather is just not the way it's suppose to be.

Thank God last weeks freakish warmth is done for the foreseeable future.

1 hour ago, weathermedic said:

Seems like the high tide was worse this morning along the sound and channeled down the East river. FDR Dr had water across all 3 lanes under Gracie Mansion. Sounded like the water came up through the road storm drains 

A little while ago driving south on the Hutch pkwy toward the Whitestone bridge  the adjecent water was noticibly high, with little waves just about encroaching on the sholder. About 2 miles upstream from the East River/LI Sound.

Theres a advisory now but a coastal flood warning on the western Sound tonight/Sun morn.

my Son tried to drive up to his Pocono home in Dingmans Ferry...He could not get passed the bridge over the Delaware...Trees down everywhere and no power...The development he is in has no power and trees down everywhere...20" of wet snow and high winds made this a disaster area...cars abandoned all over...it's the worst storm to hit that area in decades...Last March they had a 30" storm but it was a dry snow...

http://www.poconorecord.com/news/20180302/riley-bombs-poconos-national-guard-activated

Archived