Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Bomb Cyclone Obs Thread, March 1-3 2018

Rtd208

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Nibor said:

Yep. Pretty sure if you go a few miles to my west there’s some accumulation. This town can be a snow hole sometimes. Not sure what it is. 

Well it helps that I have some elevation here and you don't. I can see the start of the hills from my office.

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Well it helps that I have some elevation here and you don't. I can see the start of the hills from my office.

That’s probably a big part of it. I’ve witnessed storms where my backyard had no accumulations to an inch and I drive a mile across the boarder to Midland Park and there’s several inches on the ground. Some sort of meteorological sorcery is behind it. 

13 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Meanwhile, there is still some rain in parts of the HV as far north as Saugerties.  Gotta be some kind of downsloping thing going on there.  Winds seem to be mostly N, but maybe some kind of weird deflection off the Cats and Taconics.  There has to be an interesting case study to be made of that.

Wow, that’s super interesting. There’s where weird effects like that with 92.

snow here in southern Vermont has been mostly moderate. .5 to 1” hour type stuff. It’s adding up though

31 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Park Ave in the West End was terrible this morning, and the Canals. Tonight's high tide will likely cause more flooding but hopefully not as bad as this morning. 

My first memorable Long Beach Noreaster was Dec 74 with the school bus going through street flooding in the West End. Those were the days before the West End had dunes so the ocean meeting the bay was pretty common.

Area wide report-

The mid elevation areas east if the Taconic Crest have significantly more snow and much higher wind needs than the west side. Here in powerless Mahopac we have 3-5 VERY slushy inches that is melting as fast as it's falling. The wind is howling and trees are flopping over :( As you get to the north side of Carmel the snowfall rate increases to where it's accumulating faster than it's melting and depths increase from ~4" to near 8 at the high spots. As you keep going north and up on Rt 52 towards Stormville Mt the visibility goes to just a couple of hundred yards and there's easily a foot as you go over the top. The wind is scary up there too.

On the west side depths drop quickly but road conditions are terrible. In Poughkeepsie the roads aren't too bad, there's about 3" by the river and it climbs gradually getting to ~5" a few miles east of downtown.

Unfortunately there's no estimate for when I'm going to get power back so it may be a while before I post again so I don't kill the phone battery. See you all later.

8 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Wow, that’s super interesting. There’s where weird effects like that with 92.

snow here in southern Vermont has been mostly moderate. .5 to 1” hour type stuff. It’s adding up though

I hope it's cold enough to make some great turns.  Fine line between cement and powder sometimes.

1 minute ago, NorthShoreWx said:

I hope it's cold enough to make some great turns.  Fine line between cement and powder sometimes.

Absolutly! It’s powder it’s plenty cold above 3,000’.

to show everyone how oblivious the general public is, my boss just asked me to come in for snow removal. Last night before I left I tried to explain what was going to happen and he just said “I don’t see snow forecasted anywhere” well I left and now they may be screwed 

6 minutes ago, allgame830 said:

Is it snowing by u? How much u think has fallen in Pleasantville... I am working in New Rochelle figuring out what to do....

I'm going to guess there's at least a few inches there. Main streets are probably just wet and slushy but side streets may be impassable with trees down. I'd do my best to head home before dark.

30 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Yep. Pretty sure if you go a few miles to my west there’s some accumulation. This town can be a snow hole sometimes. Not sure what it is. 

Don't discount the mountains to your West as the cause for your localized weather patterns.

Just now, North and West said:

There you go; caveat is that Route 10 picks up elevation fast in Parsippany. I know that talking with my father that we have more snow above MMU then they do down on the valley floor. 

It winds right next to Watnong Mountain, which is easily prominent. They got a ton of snow up there in December 1992.

Archived