Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - March 2018

1 minute ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Yes, I agree 100 % !

It would nice to just have a low coming out of the 4 corners area of the soutwest that travels to Texas , picks up gulf moisture & then heads to the Carolina coast & then comes up the the mouth of the Delaware Bay. Of course with a good High parked over Quebec !

Ok, back to reality !

Maybe 1 time this year, complicated will work out for us !

Well fwiw I’m digging the 12z 12k out to 54.  Coming north w part 1. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Yes, I agree 100 % !

It would nice to just have a low coming out of the 4 corners area of the southwest that travels to Texas , picks up gulf moisture & then heads to the Carolina coast & then comes up to the mouth of the Delaware Bay. Of course with a good High parked over Quebec !

Ok, back to reality !

Maybe 1 time this year, complicated will work out for us !

Can we just have one juiced up Miller A just one please. 

I will throw my two cents in and say, I really believe that the precipitation shield will shift further north on the first system. That should put folks in the lsv in some of good bands of precip.  The second part is up in the air, but I'm leaning a miss on that. This is still out there some so don't give up yet!  Everyone do there snow dance and we will be fine!

This reminds me of 2010 with the confluence and tight cutoff. I remember we were on the edge till less than 24 hours, then the flood gates opened up with it moving more north. That’s where Harrisburg is currently. So it’s either going to be a heartbreak or a big hit it seems. Since it’s March I have more confidence of a last minute north move.

. Pro

13 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

This reminds me of 2010 with the confluence and tight cutoff. I remember we were on the edge till less than 24 hours, then the flood gates opened up with it moving more north. That’s where Harrisburg is currently. So it’s either going to be a heartbreak or a big hit it seems. Since it’s March I have more confidence of a last minute north move.

. Pro

I agree with your comments.

Harrisburg tends to struggle with more of a Southwest to Northeast type cutoff, for example say I-95 as a dividing line. This time, as with December of 09, the early Feb. 2010 storms & even January of 2016,the cutoff is a true South to North cutoff.

The heavy precip that the NAMs show extend the whole way back to far western MD & WV. We just needs general 50 mile or so jog north, & we are in the good 6-12 inch snow zone that is currently showing from Rt. 30 & south.

I like where we stand for now.

22 minutes ago, paweather said:

I agree but if we want this amped they somehow need to phase it looks like the CMC went back south a bit. 

Just a tad lol, I went from about 18" to a bs 1-2" that probably wouldn't be completely realized on the ground and H-burg went from 20"+ to on the edge with a few inches. I think last night's CMC run was def over the top given recent trends on the other guidance going further south, tighter with heavier QPF in the region. These models are seemingly taking turns at having horrendous run to run continuity.

Models are obviously having trouble resolving how the energy comes out but they seem to be in agreement (using that term really loosely) of this two piece or two phase solution to the overall system and unless one of these features becomes dominant (preferably the first one for the sake of our region)... I would be pessimistic of much of a top end potential with accumulating snows wherever they ended up. That type of a longer duration possibly multi part event would do well with a cold Jan/Feb setup but we need rates to pile snow up with a marginal air mass in late March, especially during the day. Things still have time to come back north, but its going to be a struggle to get accumulating snows to I-80 or potentially even the turnpike. 

I know I'm good with getting fringed or missed by yet another storm.. I've had the market cornered on snowfalls under 3" this winter and if it isn't going to be big I'm ready for spring. 

6 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Just a tad lol, I went from about 18" to a bs 1-2" that probably wouldn't be completely realized on the ground and H-burg went from 20"+ to on the edge with a few inches. I think last night's CMC run was def over the top given recent trends on the other guidance going further south, tighter with heavier QPF in the region. These models are seemingly taking turns at having horrendous run to run continuity.

Models are obviously having trouble resolving how the energy comes out but they seem to be in agreement (using that term really loosely) of this two piece or two phase solution to the overall system and unless one of these features becomes dominant (preferably the first one for the sake of our region)... I would be pessimistic of much of a top end potential with accumulating snows wherever they ended up. That type of a longer duration possibly multi part event would do well with a cold Jan/Feb setup but we need rates to pile snow up with a marginal air mass in late March, especially during the day. Things still have time to come back north, but its going to be a struggle to get accumulating snows to I-80 or potentially even the turnpike. 

I know I'm good with getting fringed or missed by yet another storm.. I've had the market cornered on snowfalls under 3" this winter and if it isn't going to be big I'm ready for spring. 

Agree Mag. If it’s not a 6 plus snowstorm in March I am too ready to call it quits. The problem is I keep getting sucked in this year when I thought it was over and I’m a 3 for 3 miss on the Nor’easters LOL. 

13 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

9998dc8eec98618a3abc5c43bccab12e.jpg

Ukie showing how tight it could be.

But being March, there is always that shift north so I think we’re in a “good” position.

I agree, even with the UKie, the LSV is only 75 miles from the 1 inch QPF line. We just need a subtle shift to be in the game. If I was near I-80, I would be concerned, but I think will shift north to get at least up to the Harrisburg to Lebanon area.

Archived