Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - March 2018

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, daxx said:

All done now but nice little surprise when your not following or looking for it.

My daughter asked “how long it’s been since you didn’t know when it was going to snow...”.

After thinking about it for a bit ... I laughed as I told her I couldn’t tell her as it really has been that long. 

Have a good one gang. 

4 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The 6z GEFS says that we are not done yet with snow. It is not skewed by 1 or 2 big hits either. There are 12 of the 20 ensemble members that bring at least a couple of inches of snow to the LSV, with more to the north & west in CTP.

39DE7CA5-3A4B-4B26-8D3E-A2F45A52A3BD.png

868E5A3F-CA14-4E03-A086-5F11C3CF7694.png

If we get a decent snowfall in the next two weeks, I hope you jackpot!  Keep the faith.

2 hours ago, Voyager said:

WTF...you all would be praying for a Fourth of July snowstorm if the models showed one. Unreal....

It's time for the flowers to bloom and the trees to bud. Easter is next week for Christ sakes...

Likewise - as is April Fools. Same day even - as if we needed perfect irony. 

2 hours ago, Voyager said:

WTF...you all would be praying for a Fourth of July snowstorm if the models showed one. Unreal....

It's time for the flowers to bloom and the trees to bud. Easter is next week for Christ sakes...

It’s March....

it Snows in March.

Flowers  can/will bud and snow can protect them from the cold.  

Be patient your time is coming.  

We get 4 months....you get 8.  Let us have ours. Thx  

TTFN

3 hours ago, Voyager said:

If the models were showing sunny and 75 on January 15 I'm sure you would delighted. So yea if there was a snowstorm showing up on the models for July the fourth I would be very happy!

3 hours ago, Voyager said:

If the Yellowstone caldera started showing signs of another super eruption, some of the people in these weather forums would be beside themselves with glee because it would mean that the planet would be thrust into several years of darkness, endless winter, and feet upon feet of snow. Never mind the fact that they'd eventually have to commit cannibalism in order to survive, and would most likely die eventually from starvation and/or disease. All that would matter in the short-term to them would be all the pretty snow that they could go play in like children, while they run back and fourth 500 times to their laptops to post pictures of their backyards so that they can argue over who "cashed in" the most.

The hobby of amateur meteorology is split into two camps: People who are actually interested in all aspects of understanding how our atmosphere works, and the goofball weirdos who have almost a romantic fascination with snowstorms. Unfortunately the latter makes up a good 90% of the online communities associated with this hobby, which is why so many of these forums are all but completely dead during the late spring and summer months. I remember reading some posts on another forum back in February 2015 from people near DC whining about how much they'd love to live in Boston while that city was under 5 feet of snow and counting. Meanwhile in that city, roofs were collapsing, people were dying, and the entire infrastructure had ground to a halt. These were the same people who were endlessly cheering on the prolonged drought an Ridiculously Resilient Ridge out west, and poo-poo'ed it's disastrous consequences to the state of California in particular, just because it amplified the chances of them seeing more snow than they normally would. To me it's not necessarily their enthusiasm for snow that I find off-putting (though I think it's a little weird), it's their complete and utter disregard for the collateral damage and destruction that comes with making their "dreams come true", as so many of them like to phrase it. It's a very selfish disposition to have, and it reeks of poor character.  

32 minutes ago, snowsux said:

If the Yellowstone caldera started showing signs of another super eruption, some of the people in these weather forums would be beside themselves with glee because it would mean that the planet would be thrust into several years of darkness, endless winter, and feet upon feet of snow. Never mind the fact that they'd eventually have to commit cannibalism in order to survive, and would most likely die eventually from starvation and/or disease. All that would matter in the short-term to them would be all the pretty snow that they could go play in like children, while they run back and fourth 500 times to their laptops to post pictures of their backyards so that they can argue over who "cashed in" the most.

The hobby of amateur meteorology is split into two camps: People who are actually interested in all aspects of understanding how our atmosphere works, and the goofball weirdos who have almost a romantic fascination with snowstorms. Unfortunately the latter makes up a good 90% of the online communities associated with this hobby, which is why so many of these forums are all but completely dead during the late spring and summer months. I remember reading some posts on another forum back in February 2015 from people near DC whining about how much they'd love to live in Boston while that city was under 5 feet of snow and counting. Meanwhile in that city, roofs were collapsing, people were dying, and the entire infrastructure had ground to a halt. These were the same people who were endlessly cheering on the prolonged drought an Ridiculously Resilient Ridge out west, and poo-poo'ed it's disastrous consequences to the state of California in particular, just because it amplified the chances of them seeing more snow than they normally would. To me it's not necessarily their enthusiasm for snow that I find off-putting (though I think it's a little weird), it's their complete and utter disregard for the collateral damage and destruction that comes with making their "dreams come true", as so many of them like to phrase it. It's a very selfish disposition to have, and it reeks of poor character.  

A lot of us on here have families and would not like to see what you are implying! 

1 hour ago, daxx said:

A lot of us on here have families and would not like to see what you are implying! 

I didn't say "everyone", but there's definitely a handful of people to whom snow appears to somewhat of a fetish. It is however far less prevalent on these boards than on some of the others. I personally don't care about that though. To each their own. This is after all the internet in 2018, where even the most bizarre of fetishes can be fed instantly with the click of a button. On the totem pole of weirdness, snow would be at the bottom. The thing that does bug me a little however is the prioritization of backyard snow amounts during times (like 2013-2015) when the cause of that stuff (what was going on out west) was clearly the bigger weather story. That drought was historic and it's causes are still somewhat of a mystery. It was just frustrating to come onto the various weather forums and be told to basically sit down and shut up unless I wanted to participate in 100+ page proverbial circle jerk sessions about how much snow the eastern US was gonna get out of the whole deal. Meanwhile the cause of all that snow and the historic cold we experienced here was seen as almost an afterthought or a footnote. I found that logic to be both short-sighted and selfish, as well as idiotic. Granted, that never happened to me on this particular forum but it occurred elsewhere. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised since that sort of obtuse school of thought is indicative of this part of the country anyway, but still. There's a few forums out there that really need to change their charter to that of "snow lovers" rather than weather forums, because clearly that's what they're all about. 

6 hours ago, snowsux said:

I didn't say "everyone", but there's definitely a handful of people to whom snow appears to somewhat of a fetish. It is however far less prevalent on these boards than on some of the others. I personally don't care about that though. To each their own. This is after all the internet in 2018, where even the most bizarre of fetishes can be fed instantly with the click of a button. On the totem pole of weirdness, snow would be at the bottom. The thing that does bug me a little however is the prioritization of backyard snow amounts during times (like 2013-2015) when the cause of that stuff (what was going on out west) was clearly the bigger weather story. That drought was historic and it's causes are still somewhat of a mystery. It was just frustrating to come onto the various weather forums and be told to basically sit down and shut up unless I wanted to participate in 100+ page proverbial circle jerk sessions about how much snow the eastern US was gonna get out of the whole deal. Meanwhile the cause of all that snow and the historic cold we experienced here was seen as almost an afterthought or a footnote. I found that logic to be both short-sighted and selfish, as well as idiotic. Granted, that never happened to me on this particular forum but it occurred elsewhere. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised since that sort of obtuse school of thought is indicative of this part of the country anyway, but still. There's a few forums out there that really need to change their charter to that of "snow lovers" rather than weather forums, because clearly that's what they're all about. 

Yeah you didnt say everyone, but you said enough to try and lump a bunch of us into a category that simply is not what this forum is about.  NOONE here said a lick about drought and what happens out west.  Let me help you....this is a weather board divided into subforums for the discussion of weather in said subforum.  Your banter belongs in the general discussion areas for the conus...(oh thats right, noone really goes there much and you'd not get this response, so you picked on a soft targe like us...

Nontheless, here is the link for that area for you to go and talk  https://www.americanwx.com/bb/forum/20-weather-forecasting-and-discussion/

Your characterizations of the vast majority of this forum is dead wrong, and offensive.  This group as largly a bunch of snow hounds/winter enthusiast (and proud of it), that claw and scrape at climo every year (ya know 20-50" of snow...whoopdyfriggindoo), and once in a while go above, and of late, can go well below. We also have a few in the public sector and first responders that would help you get unstuck or save lives of stuck folks....no matter the season.  

By your forum name, you put yourself into the warm side of the fence.  While thats just fine, coming into a weather board in the winter and bashing folks for something you dont like is poor form.  We are merely discussing a season among seasons.   

NOONE here wishes for death destruction and the like, and for some, like myself, thats why i do not prefer tracking Tstorms/Tornadic/hurricanes and the like, as many of you and your snowsucks crowd get their rocks off when it happens....yet thats just fine right....cause its not snow?? SMH.

Dont know you and dont care to.  You picked on the wrong forum to troll.  By and large a great bunch of folks in here.  Voyager hates snow and driving in it, and tells us that all the time. 

This is a fantastic group of mets/hobbyists that like reasonable snow during the time when we can and should get it.   If you'd quietly lurk here for a while, you'd see I speak the truth, and would retract your generalizations.  

Take your banter to the MA/NY/NE forums.  You've got many more viable targets that your words would apply to....but that's NOT here.

Good day.

Nut

43 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Yeah you didnt say everyone, but you said enough to try and lump a bunch of us into a category that simply is not what this forum is about.  NOONE here said a lick about drought and what happens out west.  Let me help you....this is a weather board divided into subforums for the discussion of weather in said subforum.  Your banter belongs in the general discussion areas for the conus...(oh thats right, noone really goes there much and you'd not get this response, so you picked on a soft targe like us...

Nontheless, here is the link for that area for you to go and talk  https://www.americanwx.com/bb/forum/20-weather-forecasting-and-discussion/

Your characterizations of the vast majority of this forum is dead wrong, and offensive.  This group as largly a bunch of snow hounds/winter enthusiast (and proud of it), that claw and scrape at climo every year (ya know 20-50" of snow...whoopdyfriggindoo), and once in a while go above, and of late, can go well below. We also have a few in the public sector and first responders that would help you get unstuck or save lives of stuck folks....no matter the season.  

By your forum name, you put yourself into the warm side of the fence.  While thats just fine, coming into a weather board in the winter and bashing folks for something you dont like is poor form.  We are merely discussing a season among seasons.   

NOONE here wishes for death destruction and the like, and for some, like myself, thats why i do not prefer tracking Tstorms/Tornadic/hurricanes and the like, as many of you and your snowsucks crowd get their rocks off when it happens....yet thats just fine right....cause its not snow?? SMH.

Dont know you and dont care to.  You picked on the wrong forum to troll.  By and large a great bunch of folks in here.  Voyager hates snow and driving in it, and tells us that all the time. 

This is a fantastic group of mets/hobbyists that like reasonable snow during the time when we can and should get it.   If you'd quietly lurk here for a while, you'd see I speak the truth, and would retract your generalizations.  

Take your banter to the MA/NY/NE forums.  You've got many more viable targets that your words would apply to....but that's NOT here.

Good day.

Nut

Go Nut go! I come in here to see what is happening and have to read a troll. I said this the other day to someone who is a Severe Weather enthusiast that I don't care to follow SW because of the devastation it can do to someone's life however I am not going to troll them for wanting to have passion about it.

On the positive side, Blizz is still at it and not giving up hope yet for one last Harrah! Love it. Bring on the "onion" snow Blizz. 

34 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

Come on guys, let's not guilt everyone who is interested in severe weather as if they root for destruction. Snow has  killed and will kill again...my mom's best friend and six year old son died from horrific crash due to zero visibility snow squall.

Your fine man.  Was not directed at you whatsoever.  Dont take it personally.  You are a good guy that likes all seasons.  I've told you several times, that i share the fascination, but hate the destruction.  Seems like others share that sentiment.

This dude came into a rather good group and stirs up the mud and leaves (BTW - I've been PM'd by his home crew teliing me this is what he does).  in NO way shape or form is anyone here not entitled to their beliefs/likes/dislikes, but if you want to come in here pissed off, drop a bomb and run.....yeah, I/we are going to fire back while you're runnin away. 

While I'm not the leader of the pack here, I'm not going to let "us" get trolled.  I've got no problem standing up for our group. I'll take the hit.  

It was uncalled for, and he admitted in his second post that his comments largely didnt belong in here.  Then why did he put them here in the first place? 

IF he would have posted in the subforms i suggested (and where his words have more merit), he knows he'da been hammered way worse than this.

Nut

1 hour ago, paweather said:

Go Nut go! I come in here to see what is happening and have to read a troll. I said this the other day to someone who is a Severe Weather enthusiast that I don't care to follow SW because of the devastation it can do to someone's life however I am not going to troll them for wanting to have passion about it.

On the positive side, Blizz is still at it and not giving up hope yet for one last Harrah! Love it. Bring on the "onion" snow Blizz. 

Well stated PA.  With the exception of many one or 2, i know noone here that bashes warm lovers, and by and large many here just dont track such a long season.  

I'll put it this way....I'd NEVER come on this (or any) other board and and try to win over the warmies in mid summer.  Talk about wasted breath.  That's not being mean, just truthful.  It's their choice. 

I also can't help that this board goes quite in the summer.  It is what it is.  We all are largely active with family/vaca etc. and come back in the fall.  For those that want to be here....have at it.  It's your time.

This forum would do good by creating a banter thread that folks can openly share dislikes etc.

Another thing that struck me funny is how he bashed a 100 page thread over one storm.

It takes us many months to get to 100 pages for everything we discuss.  Think about that for perspective.

Facts are a great tool when argueing/debating.  They dont lie.

22 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

I saw that MDT & New Cumberland (Capital City Airport) Both had 1pm visibility under .5 miles. It must have been coming down pretty good!

My wife and i were on 581 heading from Camp hill to Mechanicsburg. As we were getting off at the Carlisle pike exit my wife said look at the snow along the Mountain. We were in Lowes for a couple minutes and my wife said look at the window and it was full on blizzard. You could not see the first row of vehicles in the parking lot, visibility was that bad. As i was then heading up the pike, my wipers were on full and i struggled to see. IT WAS F-ING GREAT

4 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

My wife and i were on 581 heading from Camp hill to Mechanicsburg. As we were getting off at the Carlisle pike exit my wife said look at the snow along the Mountain. We were in Lowes for a couple minutes and my wife said look at the window and it was full on blizzard. You could not see the first row of vehicles in the parking lot, visibility was that bad. As i was then heading up the pike, my wipers were on full and i struggled to see. IT WAS F-ING GREAT

Careful buddy.  Saying snow if Fin great in March seems to be frowned on by some (see above mess).  Ugh.

Yes, yesterday was a pleasant surprise.  Family came over and we had a kids vs big kids snowball fight after the kids (17-25) found their Easter eggs that my wife puts out for them.

Great day!

10 hours ago, snowsux said:

Never seen you here before, you must be new. Don't let the door hit you in the azz on the way out. 

4 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Careful buddy.  Saying snow if Fin great in March seems to be frowned on by some (see above mess).  Ugh.

Yes, yesterday was a pleasant surprise.  Family came over and we had a kids vs big kids snowball fight after the kids (17-25) found their Easter eggs that my wife puts out for them.

Great day!

Oh, i'm not concerned about him. 

2 hours ago, Wmsptwx said:

Come on guys, let's not guilt everyone who is interested in severe weather as if they root for destruction. Snow has  killed and will kill again...my mom's best friend and six year old son died from horrific crash due to zero visibility snow squall.

Hope this wasn't directed towards my response...I clearly stated: I am not going to troll them for wanting to have passion about it. I have no problem in folks like to track severe weather I just don't like it due to its nature of what happens with it. That is my preference and I have many friends that love to track and follow it. That's fine. 

2 hours ago, pasnownut said:

Well stated PA.  With the exception of many one or 2, i know noone here that bashes warm lovers, and by and large many here just dont track such a long season.  

I'll put it this way....I'd NEVER come on this (or any) other board and and try to win over the warmies in mid summer.  Talk about wasted breath.  That's not being mean, just truthful.  It's their choice. 

I also can't help that this board goes quite in the summer.  It is what it is.  We all are largely active with family/vaca etc. and come back in the fall.  For those that want to be here....have at it.  It's your time.

This forum would do good by creating a banter thread that folks can openly share dislikes etc.

Another thing that struck me funny is how he bashed a 100 page thread over one storm.

It takes us many months to get to 100 pages for everything we discuss.  Think about that for perspective.

Facts are a great tool when argueing/debating.  They dont lie.

agreed 100% and I don't bash warm lovers and/or severe weather trackers. I just don't like that season. 

Sorry I posted what I did. I didn't know it would draw in what it did. It was just my trucker frustration coming out as snow affects me in a whole different way than it does most others.

For me, it could be deadly (as we've seen in the past on 80, 81, 83 etc) with all the miles I drive on a daily basis.

When I'm home I enjoy the model chase as much as anyone...

11 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Sorry I posted what I did. I didn't know it would draw in what it did. It was just my trucker frustration coming out as snow affects me in a whole different way than it does most others.

For me, it could be deadly (as we've seen in the past on 80, 81, 83 etc) with all the miles I drive on a daily basis.

When I'm home I enjoy the model chase as much as anyone...

No worries Voyager. Everyone has different opinions/passions about mother nature but no one can control it. 

Archived