Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - March 2018

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweet redemption. Amazing way to go out after the recent run of near misses.  Three consecutive seasons now with a 12" + event for Harrisburg. I mostly lurk for hours on end, but not  being able to access the board for a good portion of the storm made me realize how much this place has become an integral part of the snowstorm experience for me over the years.  Special place indeed.  

3-22-18.PNG

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Late March sun is like a flamethrower on snowpacks. Holy cow. 

You aren't kidding. The 9 inches from last night looks like it's down to about 3 or 4 inches now after a full day of sun. And it's been kind of muted here at times by some high cirrus.

My big takeaways from this event for late march are we can achieve greater then 10 to 1 ratios, snow can accumulate on pavement in middle of day, and we had a snow line that extended from east to west across the state (unfortunately not the northern regions), and it didn't matter that it was in the 50s in the preceding days. The models did pretty well i think. A great way to end the winter season.

28 minutes ago, snowalot said:

My big takeaways from this event for late march are we can achieve greater then 10 to 1 ratios, snow can accumulate on pavement in middle of day, and we had a snow line that extended from east to west across the state (unfortunately not the northern regions), and it didn't matter that it was in the 50s in the preceding days. The models did pretty well i think. A great way to end the winter season.

Models did a terrible job N/NW of NYC/LI though. Look at CT ... 

When was the last winter MDT didn't record a snowstorm in the double digits? It seems that we've been on a string of years where ****ty winters were bailed out by a blockbuster in January or a Hail Mary in March. Perhaps this is an unintentional blessing of some kind of change in the climate.

Was 2011 the last winter MDT didn't hit double digits in one event?

Did a depth check around the yard...it generally averages about 4-7" or so. Def shrunk a good bit but still have pretty much complete coverage. The max depth was 12.5" right after the storm ended. 

I went up to Blue Knob for a few hours in the afternoon yesterday since they reopened for the week at noon yesterday and the conditions were fantastic. They only had about 5 of their main trails open prior to the storm since getting pretty much their whole base wiped out in February. They received enough snow up there that just about all of their trails and glades were doable. I would guess they got 20"+ up there and it was really piled up on the more sheltered parts of the mountain. Probably some of the best conditions I've ever gotten a chance to board in up there (no ice).

Looking down Extrovert (double diamond) 

IMG_2447.thumb.jpg.45e720049c7ba2f914425bd5e7813056.jpg

Top of the mountain

IMG_2448.thumb.jpg.19522d929c8e1d8cc74ef20997812d8e.jpg

I see that some of you guys have already said your goodbyes for the snow season. We might not be done yet!

The GEFS & EPS have been advertising a well below normal first 2 weeks of April. If that is the case, then we could still score a little more snow before we close the shades for the season.

Here is the latest EPS, which brings the 2 inch snow line into the LSV, with more to the northwest in CTP, which is impressive for this point in the year!

27DD345E-6CE7-4CFD-A815-C3E2D13150BA.png

40 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

It's too bad that system coming through the Midwest/OH Valley today is getting squashed into VA. That would have made one heck of a 1-2 punch of snow for late March. 

Yes, I agree! Last weekend, into earlier in the week, it looked like this one was going to be good for us, but then it shifted south & never came back. 

We still need to look out for 1 more chance during the 1st 10 days of April!

Archived