joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - March 2018

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, KPITSnow said:

I know this is central, but KPIT recorded .56 liquid equivalent today, but 8.6 inches. That is remarkable for a late March storm.

That was a theme with this storm.. with both the second wave and the first wave with the folks that saw decent accums from that. I think CarislePAwx and the Cashtown Coop reported high ratios this morning in our region. I didn't have anything to do a decent sample of my snow but it was straight powder snow and certainly >10:1. My opinion was that the primary heavy snow band that hammered the whole length of the state from the Pit region to the LSV conincided with the best 700mb lift, where column temps were sufficiently cold for efficient snow growth and ratios. The rest of the column was cold enough to maintain that without any kind of riming to maintain that to the ground, especially as that coastal low started taking over. And then at the ground.. it's been pretty chilly to set up this event and it was already cold for the event arrival. So snow piled up on the non-paved surfaces easily given the very good snow rates. Heck it piled up on the paved surfaces too. The rates were one of the biggest worries of this system given the drawn out, 2 piece evolution this late in the year. But I think the massive, deep easterly flow off the Atlantic and the impressive (for late March) antecedent cold helped offset that worry. 

I really enjoyed this storm. My snow blower broke just as I had  finished  the bulk of the work then the last band was wicked here gave me probably a quick 2.5 "maybe a little more my boy and I had to shovel.  Dust ended her at 12:10. Unfortunately I timed things wrong got tired and ended up sleeping through the heaviest snow rates of round 2 unless it was that last band.  This storm gave me a 123 punch, was a real treat to watch come together, over preformed in totals and made the landscape look like a winter wonderland without damage around here My Dog ,Son and I approve big time. Heading out to have a smoke and look for Nome's with my dog in Timber Ridge wonderland. 

After this storm just proves why i think we have one of the best sub-forums. Fantastic group of weather hounds! Just as flathead said, this was a great storm to track and watch come together after we kept getting kicked in the nads. I'm putting this one in the books at 12" (3.5 & 8.5) and my season total 34"

1 hour ago, sauss06 said:

After this storm just proves why i think we have one of the best sub-forums. Fantastic group of weather hounds! Just as flathead said, this was a great storm to track and watch come together after we kept getting kicked in the nads. I'm putting this one in the books at 12" (3.5 & 8.5) and my season total 34"

This times 100! What an awesome group to share my sickness with...

As another season of tracking winds down, and yes i personally believe we are finished here in the LSV (I will now agree with Canderson that we see nothing beyond snow showers :)) I just want to thank everyone for their time invested and thoughts shared here in this sub-forum. It really is fun to be in here. I enjoy the variety of personalities that make this place special. So many good people will be checking out as warm weather approaches (I myself typically only make a few posts per month during the warm season) and I wish all of you a quick, cool summer and let's hope for an early and active 2018-19 winter season!

- Mike

Finished up with 9.25" of snow in Tamaqua from what was round two. Round one didn't get up this way at all, which was good as I was able to make it from Indianapolis to Hazleton on Tuesday. That set me up with only 29 miles to drive yesterday in the heavy snow to delivery. Then 60 miles to the terminal to drop off the truck and head home.

I had decided to take I-80 across instead of staying on 70 to 76 and then up 81. Good thing I did as there was a bad truck wreck near Somerset that had both directions of the PA Pike shut down for a couple of hours. I stayed out of the snow and was able to knock out 640 miles that day...

9 hours ago, KPITSnow said:

I know this is central, but KPIT recorded .56 liquid equivalent today, but 8.6 inches. That is remarkable for a late March storm.

I picked up on that when I was out snow blowing.....anticipated paste bomb type snow and it was actually powdery. As it sat, I think it became more moisture laden as it condensed, especially when the the rates backed off and the sun started getting to it.

i would also like to add, i took one for the team with this storm. Last weekend i put my snowblower away and rotated my spring/winter equipment. as the storm chances increased, i was afraid if i got the blower back out of our big shed and put it back in the garage we wouldn't ave got the snow :wacko: yes, i'm extremely superstitious. So i had to shovel that cement yesterday. 

you're welcome :P  

1 hour ago, maytownpawx said:

and I wish all of you a quick, cool summer

No. As much as I like winter, I like campfires and baseball and severe thunderstorms and days at the lake more. Come April 1st, the 70s and 80s need to come and warm up that water so swim season goes from late May until late September. 

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Harrisburg recorded 14.2” for this event, 11.9” of that fell yesterday.

excellent. well overnight models long term doesn't bring my Easter snow back. This in fact may be the end and now hibernation as I do not like severe weather season. Hope all of you have a great summer and fall unless something changes see you in November. 

2 hours ago, maytownpawx said:

Have to share this...

Biggest spring snow EVER in Lancaster (official measurements are taken at MU by Dr. Sikora) was 6.5" back in 1964.

The official measurement for this storm?

17.5"!!!

That...is called obliterating a record. :)

Fantastic. This one was good for my soul. 

Right with ya @maytownpawx. It was a great way to end a challenging season chasing snow. 

I will be checking into the cave shortly and this one lets me slip into spring on a high note, and reminds me why I love doing this hobby. The last 2 days were fantastic for me (and many snowhounds like myself). 

I wish everyone here a cool and low humidity warm season. Can’t wait for next fall....but I look forward to summer activities to make the time pass quickly.  

Have a great spring and summer y’all. I will check in if somethin anomalous is going on.  

Be well 

Erik (Nut)

45 minutes ago, paweather said:

excellent. well overnight models long term doesn't bring my Easter snow back. This in fact may be the end and now hibernation as I do not like severe weather season. Hope all of you have a great summer and fall unless something changes see you in November. 

Was fun. You and a few others have same passion and it was truely great bringing this one home. 

See you in the fall. 

Best

Erik (Nut)

5 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Was fun. You and a few others have same passion and it was truely great bringing this one home. 

See you in the fall. 

Best

Erik (Nut)

Thanks man. It was fun, I was lurking most of the year this year didn't post too much until this one, I really wanted this one bad will be back for sure. 

2 hours ago, maytownpawx said:

Have to share this...

Biggest spring snow EVER in Lancaster (official measurements are taken at MU by Dr. Sikora) was 6.5" back in 1964.

The official measurement for this storm?

17.5"!!!

That...is called obliterating a record. :)

Hey Mike... I know the 93 blizzard was before spring, but do you know what the snow total for lanaster was in that.  Just trying to compare. Thanks!

Archived