• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - March 2018

Since 4:00 I picked up an additional 0.7" giving me a total for today of 6.9" and a storm total of 10.9".  I'll do my meltdown a little later and report back the liquid and SLR readings.  That nearly 11" of snow has already compacted/melted down to a ground measurement of 8.0".  We were at 34 degrees during the noontime lull which definitely promoted some additional compacting.  What makes this storm unique is that it snowed for 2 consecutive days in late March.  It's hard enough to get any storm to last 8 to 10 hours let alone 34 hours!

One other thing of note is how those who missed out on yesterday totally caught up to us today and we all got nearly the same amount for the storm total...10 to 11 inches (speaking on behalf of those of us relatively close to Harrisburg). 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What an awesome storm. It was wonky and disjointed and nailed a huge chunk of PA, which is great. I see the MA guys really missed out, and somehow NYC doesn’t have much accumulation despite the bands it’s in. I think this subforum was the winner out of this event.

Great way to end winter. Got me back to climo. 

12.6” on the ground here just south of Reading and tacking on a bit with a nice little burst of moderate snow.  I’m surprised there aren’t more branches breaking with everything pasted but I guess everything ready to break was already taken down my the last few storms.  It’s beautiful out there! 

At 8.5” for the day (3.5” yesterday) but compaction has my max depth just under 10” now - but it’s coming down again pretty good like everyone above has been saying.  Have some branches hanging quite a bit with the way this snow has stuck to them so luckily we don’t have leaves yet or there would be trees/branches down everywhere around here. 

Just got in from snowblowin the neighborhood (well 5 anyway). That’s part of being a snowhound I guess. They all know I love it and come out as soon as I do to. Lol. Then plow comes and undoes some of my work. 

Snowing nicely again after a lull.  Radar has some returns left. Gonna enjoy every flake.  Gotta be 13-14” here. Absolutely a great way for me to end my chase. Happy for all that shared in the fun. 

Im pooped. Gnight all. 

14 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Just got in from snowblowin the neighborhood (well 5 anyway). That’s part of being a snowhound I guess. They all know I love it and come out as soon as I do to. Lol. Then plow comes and undoes some of my work. 

Snowing nicely again after a lull.  Radar has some returns left. Gonna enjoy every flake.  Gotta be 13-14” here. Absolutely a great way for me to end my chase. Happy for all that shared in the fun. 

Im pooped. Gnight all. 

Great storm. Can you believe SW VA and NC could see snow this weekend? Dang this pattern isn’t yet over that Low this weekend goes due south from an Alberta Clipper like system. We may not be done yet and especially 2001K maybe Wms. I am holding out to finding Easter eggs in the snow :) storm signal is there March is my favorite storm month. Although this storm in January and February would have been 2’ easy. 

Ok...here goes my final storm statistics broken down by round 1 (yesterday), round 2 (today), and storm totals:

Yesterday (3/20):  Snowfall = 4.0"; Liquid Equivalent = 0.22"; SLR = 18:1 (DRY!)

Today (3/21): Snowfall = 7.3"; Liquid Equivalent = 0.91"; SLR = 8:1 (WET!)

Storm Totals: Snowfall = 11.3"; Liquid Equivalent = 1.13"; SLR = 10:1  (HAH!  What a coincidence...precisely 10:1)...but what a difference between yesterday's water content versus today's.

Archived