Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - March 2018

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

Nice surprise. Although high-res was picking up on it.

How much did you get last week? I figured you wouldn't offer that since you were about the only one in this sub-forum that scored. :)

Last night...went to bed around 11:30 with about 1.5", and the snow had basically stopped. I thought that was my total. I was shocked to wake up and see almost 2" of new snow. Honestly, the 3" that I reported is probably low...I didn't measure correctly. That 3" is what I had at 6:30am after compaction. 

15 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Long range looking interesting y'all. An congrats to all that got the snow. I saw a dusting down here with hood of my car covered. Woot woot lol

I'm on it. I feel like I've lost even the most optimistic people in this thread. I'm the new Jebman in here. I'm bringing this baby home...the great Equinox storm of 2018. Last night was a delicious appetizer...next week we feast at the buffet. It's coming...

21 minutes ago, maytownpawx said:

I'm on it. I feel like I've lost even the most optimistic people in this thread. I'm the new Jebman in here. I'm bringing this baby home...the great Equinox storm of 2018. Last night was a delicious appetizer...next week we feast at the buffet. It's coming...

Hey, I'm with you. Let it snow. The longer we can delay the inevitable 3 H's the better.

I measured 1.5" on the board this morning with .09" liquid. Very efficient band of snow last night. Somehow I'm over 26" for the season which is my annual average. My perception is that it has been a difficult year for snow, but the numbers say otherwise. I think watching the models and being aware how close we were to much better results clouds the perception of the winter overall. The model chase is half the fun though.

10 minutes ago, Vogan said:

Hey, I'm with you. Let it snow. The longer we can delay the inevitable 3 H's the better.

I measured 1.5" on the board this morning with .09" liquid. Very efficient band of snow last night. Somehow I'm over 26" for the season which is my annual average. My perception is that it has been a difficult year for snow, but the numbers say otherwise. I think watching the models and being aware how close we were to much better results clouds the perception of the winter overall. The model chase is half the fun though.

After seemingly years of getting huge storms that inflate our totals quickly, this year it's been 2" here, 4" here, and so on. Actually I've had a 6" and a 5.5" storm that has helped, but regardless we've been slowly adding it up over time. My perception is the same as yours. Frankly, we've missed several of the big ones completely and that itself has created a feeling of disappointment even when some of the smaller systems have actually overachieved. 

It's been an unusual winter, no doubt about it. The crazy warmth of February jaded our feelings as well. 

How much did you get last week? I figured you wouldn't offer that since you were about the only one in this sub-forum that scored.
Last night...went to bed around 11:30 with about 1.5", and the snow had basically stopped. I thought that was my total. I was shocked to wake up and see almost 2" of new snow. Honestly, the 3" that I reported is probably low...I didn't measure correctly. That 3" is what I had at 6:30am after compaction. 

About 4” in Strasburg last week.

We are going to nickel and dime our way to an average winter, lol.

21 hours ago, maytownpawx said:

Ditto all of that. And see you this later this week/weekend to track next week's miss...

LOL.  I didnt know i was that easy.  :) 

Driving in to Etown, they had a nice couple inches here, and as I was pleasantly surprised by the bands that appeared last evening on a model or 2, so, as I can never get enough, i decided to pop in as I thought I'd check on the next week tease, then I see all of these posts and (and the MA forum "honking" for next week).  Good stuff. 

What the heck, looking at 6zs there definitely are a few more needles that we can try to thread.  

as I agree that its been nickles and dimes this winter, they largely have happened just west/north/east of me, so while I'm not mad....i'm just beat up a bit.  I can surely go another week (or so) if need be.  What the heck.

Now watch the 12z's will poop the bed.  It's gonna have to be good for me to invest much time though, as while I love the chase more than most.....the ROI this year has been horrid for me.  My eyes are bug like from model watching too much. :blink:

3 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

LOL.  I didnt know i was that easy.  :) 

Driving in to Etown, they had a nice couple inches here, and as I was pleasantly surprised by the bands that appeared last evening on a model or 2, so, as I can never get enough, i decided to pop in as I thought I'd check on the next week tease, then I see all of these posts and (and the MA forum "honking" for next week).  Good stuff. 

What the heck, looking at 6zs there definitely is a few more needles that we can try to thread.  

as I agree that its been nickles and dimes this winter, they largely have happened just west/north/east of me, so while I'm not mad....i'm just beat up a bit.  I can surely go another week (or so) if need be.  What the heck.

Now watch the 12z's will poop the bed.  It's gonna have to be good for me to invest much time though, as while I love the chase more than most.....the ROI this year has been horrid for me.  My eyes are bug like from model watching too much. :blink:

I was stunned when I looked outside this morning. In the darkness obviously you can't tell exactly how much you've got, but I could tell right away that the grass was completely covered. Got ready for work, headed out and was like "whoa", that's a whole lot more than I thought was even possible. Honest to God the first person I thought of you was you. I was like man...right after Nut hangs up for the winter, lookie at what we have here."

Hey - I get where you're at and coming from. Honestly I have extremely low expectations for next week. Having said that I will NEVER give up. Mother nature can keep kicking my old body in the groin but I'm gonna keep popping back up. There's nothing to lose really...so I'm going to track and try and will 'er home for us. Like Vogan said earlier...I'll take any of this over godawful heat any day or night...

1 hour ago, maytownpawx said:

I was stunned when I looked outside this morning. In the darkness obviously you can't tell exactly how much you've got, but I could tell right away that the grass was completely covered. Got ready for work, headed out and was like "whoa", that's a whole lot more than I thought was even possible. Honest to God the first person I thought of you was you. I was like man...right after Nut hangs up for the winter, lookie at what we have here."

Hey - I get where you're at and coming from. Honestly I have extremely low expectations for next week. Having said that I will NEVER give up. Mother nature can keep kicking my old body in the groin but I'm gonna keep popping back up. There's nothing to lose really...so I'm going to track and try and will 'er home for us. Like Vogan said earlier...I'll take any of this over godawful heat any day or night...

Well as long as I've got mates on the ship....I'm in.  I HATE swimmin in deep water all by myself anyways.... (queue scene from Jaws - deep water/swimmin alone to beacon scene).  Yeah....I'll stay on board in hopes of bringin this on into port.  lol.  I'm a mess

1 hour ago, Shania1 said:

We need to change the "juju" here!  Lets get PAsnownut, PSUhoffman and Showme up here to start a thread for the threat next week.  This pattern sucks but maybe this time will be ours!  LETS GO!

Wow...thats some good company to be in.  I don't know that I'm so worthy, but sure try....and appreciate it all the same.

Thanks.

And to spin off what Maytown suggested, he is right, that the pattern hasnt been horrid, but we have "unlucky" down to a science around here and points south.  Unfortunately, i really do seem to live in a snow hole this year.  Would be great for a regionwide hum dinger to end on.  

Do I need to remind you/us older folks about what today is???

Break out the 25 candles because today is the 25th anniversary of THE STORM OF THE CENTURY aka "The Superstorm"....Saturday, March 13, 1993.

Among the many attributes of that storm was the lowest barometric pressure my local weather station (in north Jersey) ever recorded...an amazing 969 millibars, or 28.61" as the center of the low passed less than 15 miles to my east.

How about the fact that the temperature was 17 degrees during the morning while I was on my way to over a foot of snow?  How about the most sleet I ever recorded from one storm?

How about one foot of snow for Atlanta?  On March 13th??

Yeah.  One of the all-time greatest storms of my life and one I will never forget.

4 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Break out the 25 candles because today is the 25th anniversary of THE STORM OF THE CENTURY aka "The Superstorm"....Saturday, March 13, 1993.

Among the many attributes of that storm was the lowest barometric pressure my local weather station (in north Jersey) ever recorded...an amazing 969 millibars, or 28.61" as the center of the low passed less than 15 miles to my east.

How about the fact that the temperature was 17 degrees during the morning while I was on my way to over a foot of snow?  How about the most sleet I ever recorded from one storm?

Yeah.  One of the all-time greatest storms of my life and one I will never forget.

you don't have to remind this old guy, i remember it very well. 

1 minute ago, CarlislePaWx said:

You know, we've talked about that storm many times over the years as far as impact on so many levels and in so many areas, but you bring up a great point. That storm "felt" like a mid-winter's storm. It was very dark even at midday, and it was very cold. So unlike most March storms...even the biggies...just one more way in which that storm will always be the benchmark to measure up to. 

35 minutes ago, maytownpawx said:

You know, we've talked about that storm many times over the years as far as impact on so many levels and in so many areas, but you bring up a great point. That storm "felt" like a mid-winter's storm. It was very dark even at midday, and it was very cold. So unlike most March storms...even the biggies...just one more way in which that storm will always be the benchmark to measure up to. 

that storm is/was a fantastic one.  Riding mtn bike in the morning during the start to get my miles in as i knew I wouldnt be training for a while, I remember how quickly it piled up and watching cars "dissapear" on the road up to the mountain from my parents place.  We all got snowed in for 2 days till we got plowed out.

What a great event......oh to dream a bit....

Ah, the Superstorm. One of the very few times I experienced thundersnow, and by that I don't mean a distant rumble of thunder, but an instant flash-boom ctg strike in the farmer's field next to my house. 

I lived just north of Bethlehem at the time and recorded 18" of frozen, of which probably 6-8 inches was sleet. Had it been all snow, it might have been a 30" event there.

1 minute ago, Voyager said:

Ah, the Superstorm. One of the very few times I experienced thundersnow, and by that I don't mean a distant rumble of thunder, but an instant flash-boom ctg strike in the farmer's field next to my house. 

I lived just north of Bethlehem at the time and recorded 18" of frozen, of which probably 6-8 inches was sleet. Had it been all snow, it might have been a 30" event there.

At least that...a lot of areas that stayed all snow to our west exceeded 3', and our total liquid equivalent was actually higher I believe...

March 14th, 1993 was my 7th birthday. For some reason my parents had to cancel my birthday party haha. 

That one and the following Mar 2-4, 1994 storm were the last two times I saw a 20"+ storm personally from an imby standpoint. And sadly I don't remember very much about those storms since I was a 1st/2nd grader. I remember hearing about how it took 1-2 weeks to make some of the roads in the next valley over passible b/c of the severity of the drifting from the 93 storm. 

Sure I've had pretty big pieces of 96, 2003, and 2010 storms.. but they were more of the 14-18" variety for me. Honestly my biggest memory of the 95/96 winter was the flood. That stretch from Dec 92 to March 94 saw 3 events that delivered 30"+ (Dec 92, Mar 93, and Mar 94) in this area among other significant snowstorms that made those two of the snowiest winters ever. 

6 minutes ago, canderson said:

Was flooding an issue after the 93 storm? Hard to imagine that snow and a fast March melt wouldn’t lead to flooding in the valley.

Not that I remember. Certainly nothing significant on the Susquehanna. It was very cold in the days following the storm and the snow melted gradually. At that point in my life I lived on a hill far away from streams and rivers and didn't follow those things as much.

Was flooding an issue after the 93 storm? Hard to imagine that snow and a fast March melt wouldn’t lead to flooding in the valley.

It was not a fast melt. The roads were caked with sleet under all the snow, so it was like a layer of concrete on all the roads. Then, within that sleet concrete there were potholes. It was unbelievable.

1 hour ago, canderson said:

I definitely remember that the rest of the month was abnormally cold.  I had continuous snow cover for the next 2 weeks, until around the 26th or 27th.  A few nights temps easily dropped into the single digits for lows as well.  The huge amount of sleet coupled with the cold really slowed down the overall melting process.  I'll bet the river barely rose during those few weeks afterwards.

9 hours ago, pasnownut said:

Well as long as I've got mates on the ship....I'm in.  I HATE swimmin in deep water all by myself anyways.... (queue scene from Jaws - deep water/swimmin alone to beacon scene).  Yeah....I'll stay on board in hopes of bringin this on into port.  lol.  I'm a mess

I’m on board & will never abandon the snow ship ! I track the first flake to last flake of snow every year!

Early Next week is looking very interesting on the models for another chance at snow glory for us before we close the shades for the season in a couple of weeks.

Joe Bastardi & DT are getting very excited for this early next week time frame & both insist that the current pattern supports the model runs that are showing it. 

Let’s hope that it is finally our turn !

4 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

I’m on board & will never abandon the snow ship ! I track the first flake to last flake of snow every year!

Early Next week is looking very interesting on the models for another chance at snow glory for us before we close the shades for the season in a couple of weeks.

Joe Bastardi & DT are getting very excited for this early next week time frame & both insist that the current pattern supports the model runs that are showing it. 

Let’s hope that it is finally our turn !

Yeah it def looks like there is one or two still going under us so if timed right it could snow round here. 

Seeing the totals coming in up in the NE forum is just a gut punch. Happy for them. 

MDT recorded 1.4 inches of snow with the event last night. It’s better than nothing, & it   brought MDT’s seasonal total to 19.5 inches. 

If the storm last week would have delivered even 5 or 6 inches (remember the time there there was a warning for 4-8 inches & MDT ended up with a trace...) we would be in good shape to make a run at climo average with another 6 inch storm next week. As it stands now, we would need a 10 to 12 inch storm to get to seasonal average. 

The Euro & its Control run, the Canadian & the GFS over the last couple of days say that we might have a chance at a double digit snowstorm next week. There could be a 50/50 low in the right spot this time, as well as weakening blocking, along with good high pressure to our north & west that could allow us to score next week.

3 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

March 14th, 1993 was my 7th birthday. For some reason my parents had to cancel my birthday party haha. 

That one and the following Mar 2-4, 1994 storm were the last two times I saw a 20"+ storm personally from an imby standpoint. And sadly I don't remember very much about those storms since I was a 1st/2nd grader. I remember hearing about how it took 1-2 weeks to make some of the roads in the next valley over passible b/c of the severity of the drifting from the 93 storm. 

Sure I've had pretty big pieces of 96, 2003, and 2010 storms.. but they were more of the 14-18" variety for me. Honestly my biggest memory of the 95/96 winter was the flood. That stretch from Dec 92 to March 94 saw 3 events that delivered 30"+ (Dec 92, Mar 93, and Mar 94) in this area among other significant snowstorms that made those two of the snowiest winters ever. 

and.....now......

Feel 

OLD!!

thx buddy....:P

9 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

MDT recorded 1.4 inches of snow with the event last night. It’s better than nothing, & it   brought MDT’s seasonal total to 19.5 inches. 

If the storm last week would have delivered even 5 or 6 inches (remember the time there there was a warning for 4-8 inches & MDT ended up with a trace...) we would be in good shape to make a run at climo average with another 6 inch storm next week. As it stands now, we would need a 10 to 12 inch storm to get to seasonal average. 

The Euro & its Control run, the Canadian & the GFS over the last couple of days say that we might have a chance at a double digit snowstorm next week. There could be a 50/50 low in the right spot this time, as well as weakening blocking, along with good high pressure to our north & west that could allow us to score next week.

and as you know, when 50/50's are scootin, thats when storms can go boom.  Looking at the 18zs i'm glad to say i jumped too soon.  You guys are definitely right and if they are correct, we have a solid 2 weeks to go.  take a look at 3/26 if you like snow.  As we all know its waayyyy out there and way late.....its not impossible. 

While pattern favors trough in the east (and likely progressive verbatim) if 3/26 pattern holds (big if) Upper levels support that event, and it would be a whallopallooza, so needless to say, y'all aint so whacked for staying at it.  Keep the mojo going....stranger things have happened.

Archived