Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - March 2018

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Atomixwx said:

I'm sure that's just another kick in the nuts to go with the rest of them this season.

Actually ended up with a coating of snow/sleet from that precip burst, so I guess I can't get completely shut out by this storm system now haha. 

1 hour ago, MillvilleWx said:

Looks like I’m chasing to LanCo county tomorrow.

You should go up into the Catskill region of NY, between this storm and last storm some areas up there are going to look like the freaking Sierras. 

5 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Actually ended up with a coating of snow/sleet from that precip burst, so I guess I can't get completely shut out by this storm system now haha. 

You should go up into the Catskill region of NY, between this storm and last storm some areas up there are going to look like the freaking Sierras. 

I would love to, but I'm working right now and don't get off till midnight. Plus I have to be at work at 8am Friday. Would be a little challenging getting back from up there :lol:. I'll take my southern PA CCB and like it :) 

I just saw that PennDot actually took pre-emptive action and starting at midnight banned trailers towed by passenger vehicles, motorcycles and rv's, empty trucks (regular and trailers), and large combination vehicles (I assume that's double and triple trailers) from I-81, 78, 380, 84, and 80 east of Conyngham. I don't remember them doing that before this storm. Have they been doing it this year, or just haven't I been noticing it?

Most models trended in our favor today! We finally got the Euro on board & got NAM’d a couple of times. Hopefully the 0z runs tonight keep the LSV in the game.

My goal for MDT with this event is for 7 inches of snow, which is within reason based on today’s model runs. This would get MDT to 25 inches for the season, which would make it a decent snow year even if we didn’t score anymore this month.

1 hour ago, Jim Marusak said:

I just saw that PennDot actually took pre-emptive action and starting at midnight banned trailers towed by passenger vehicles, motorcycles and rv's, empty trucks (regular and trailers), and large combination vehicles (I assume that's double and triple trailers) from I-81, 78, 380, 84, and 80 east of Conyngham. I don't remember them doing that before this storm. Have they been doing it this year, or just haven't I been noticing it?

PennDOT has been doing this for years, but first time this winter. 

1 minute ago, windberwx said:

PennDOT has been doing this for years, but first time this winter. 

So I just didn't notice it. thanks.

As for the storm itself, i see that Hazleton was at 37-23 and should start with some light snow shortly. But as for the valley cities, 41-26 at Avoca, makes me wonder if there's a bit of downsloping off of Suscon Mountain there. Because it doesn't seem right that they haven't started heading at least the upper 30's by now (and yes I know it's an 800' elevation difference).

FWIW as we start to get closer to now-casting - 0z HRRR only out to 18z tomorrow (1pm) at this point but barely has any precip as far west as Harrisburg by its current end point.  Will be interesting to see how it evolves as its far end stretches into tomorrow afternoon and the early hours get closer to the start of the event here over the next few hours.  To compare with 18z NAM - the higher precip totals that the NAM has it has over Lancaster/etc are more to the east over Philly/NJ on this run of HRRR.

5 minutes ago, djr5001 said:

FWIW as we start to get closer to now-casting - 0z HRRR only out to 18z tomorrow (1pm) at this point but barely has any precip as far west as Harrisburg by its current end point.  Will be interesting to see how it evolves as its far end stretches into tomorrow afternoon and the early hours get closer to the start of the event here over the next few hours.  To compare with 18z NAM - the higher precip totals that the NAM has it has over Lancaster/etc are more to the east over Philly/NJ on this run of HRRR.

Yikes. Let’s hope it’s the HRRR being the HRRR.

11 minutes ago, canderson said:

Yikes. Let’s hope it’s the HRRR being the HRRR.

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/hrrrval/table_view?source=hrrr&sat=goes-east&sector=east-central&datetime=latest&type=irw&preview=small

Trying to figure out this site but to me it looks like HRRR appears to have features too far east of what GOES is observing which is a good thing I hope lol

east-central_goes-east_hrrr-run_20180307_066_0000_F0100_irw_ani.png

east-central_goes-east_hrrr-run_20180307_066_0000_F0100_wv_ani.png

Archived