Jump to content
  • Welcome to American Weather

    Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

eyewall

Countdown to Winter 2018 -2019

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Sore thumb is right. Only 2 of the past 11 winters have had below avg snowfall here....2015-16 was 8" below avg and 2011-12 was 17" below avg (at least DTW got 26"...i recall some east coast places were in single digits!). If thats not sticking out like a sore thumb idk what is!

lol I looked at Islip, NY's snowfall tally in the NY subforum thread and Islip has had 36 or more inches of snow in 9 out of the last 10 seasons and 42 or more inches of snow in 8 out of the last 10 seasons.  The one year out of the last 10 when they didn't get to three feet of snow was 2011-12 when the total there was only 5.5"!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, uncle W said:

1866-67 was big in the NYC area...some records from 1872...

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83030214/1873-01-01/ed-1/seq-1/

Thanks I used to research old snowstorms at the library using microfilm/microfiche back in the 90s lol.  100 inches of snow that year maybe? I think we have almost gotten there in a 12 month period with some of our blockbuster winters lately if you combine different parts of 2 seasons.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

lol I looked at Islip, NY's snowfall tally in the NY subforum thread and Islip has had 36 or more inches of snow in 9 out of the last 10 seasons and 42 or more inches of snow in 8 out of the last 10 seasons.  The one year out of the last 10 when they didn't get to three feet of snow was 2011-12 when the total there was only 5.5"!

 

That winter was trash everywhere. I was in Ithaca and the biggest storm was 6" of concrete in late April. That February was also the warmest I ever experienced prior to this year's.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Gravity Wave said:

That winter was trash everywhere. I was in Ithaca and the biggest storm was 6" of concrete in late April. That February was also the warmest I ever experienced prior to this year's.

It goes in the pantheon of failure, along with 1972-73, 1997-98, 2001-02.  All of those winters had less than 6 inches of snow for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

lol I looked at Islip, NY's snowfall tally in the NY subforum thread and Islip has had 36 or more inches of snow in 9 out of the last 10 seasons and 42 or more inches of snow in 8 out of the last 10 seasons.  The one year out of the last 10 when they didn't get to three feet of snow was 2011-12 when the total there was only 5.5"!

 

2007-08: 78.2"

2008-09: 64.8"

2009-10: 46.1"

2010-11: 69.3"

2011-12: 25.5"

2012-13: 47.7"

2013-14: 96.2"

2014-15: 48.5"

2015-16: 35.0"

2016-17: 41.6"

2017-18: 62.5"

 

I think the fact that it was basically 1 dud surrounded by good winters made it more tolerable. Avg is around 43"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

It goes in the pantheon of failure, along with 1972-73, 1997-98, 2001-02.  All of those winters had less than 6 inches of snow for us.

1972-73 and 2001-02 actually did ok snow wise here but were very warm winters. 1972-73 was actually a few inches above avg. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Thanks I used to research old snowstorms at the library using microfilm/microfiche back in the 90s lol.  100 inches of snow that year maybe? I think we have almost gotten there in a 12 month period with some of our blockbuster winters lately if you combine different parts of 2 seasons.

 

Lol....I did that from the 1960s on until the internet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×