• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Countdown to Winter 2018 -2019

eyewall

I'm all ears if anyone can enlighten me as to what will provide the impetus for a sustained negative NAO any time soon...the polar stratosphere is fairly cold, the SAI blows, SST configuration looks hostile and el nino climo is to back load. Again, I'm just talking about before the new year....I have no issue with it later on in the season and the Pacific pattern looks fine early, too. 

I just have a hard time envisioning how we arrive at the December 2009 that the EURO implies.

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 12:39 PM, mreaves said:

That storm still gives me nightmares. Lots of rain here while heavy snow not too far away. 

I still have those same nightmares.  By far the ugliest 10" snowfall of my experience, and me with a disabled snowblower (that proved to be un-reparable as the required parts were no longer available.)  We had 7.2" snow on Feb 25-26 from 1.81" LE, and by the time I got home from my day-long meeting (had left early for BGR when my 2WD pickup was equal to the 3" new), that snow had been compacted by nearly an inch of that 33-34° RA, resulting in a 7" layer of glop with 2.8" LE on a thawed gravel driveway, loads of fun to move with the scoop.  It pushed much more readily thru the 24" dump a year earlier.  That 2010 storm came shortly before the midpoint of our string of 46 consecutive days with AN temps.

8 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I still have those same nightmares.  By far the ugliest 10" snowfall of my experience, and me with a disabled snowblower (that proved to be un-reparable as the required parts were no longer available.)  We had 7.2" snow on Feb 25-26 from 1.81" LE, and by the time I got home from my day-long meeting (had left early for BGR when my 2WD pickup was equal to the 3" new), that snow had been compacted by nearly an inch of that 33-34° RA, resulting in a 7" layer of glop with 2.8" LE on a thawed gravel driveway, loads of fun to move with the scoop.  It pushed much more readily thru the 24" dump a year earlier.  That 2010 storm came shortly before the midpoint of our string of 46 consecutive days with AN temps.

I remember when SNE weenies were high 5ing and spiking the ball and I dared to mention the elephant in the room-that being the 38 degree temperature at caribou.  Foretold 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I remember when SNE weenies were high 5ing and spiking the ball and I dared to mention the elephant in the room-that being the 38 degree temperature at caribou.  Foretold 

The New Years retro-bomb utterly destroyed 09-10 for Maine, especially northern Maine.  CAR was out-snowed by BWI, which I think is a rarer event than '38 or the Octobomb, and the average temp up there for JFMA was farther above their 2nd mildest for that 1/3 year than was #2 from #25 (79 years' record.)

4 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Answer to Rays questioning Euro Dec. low sea ice, rapid buildup in ECanada of cyrosphere . We party. Analog 02/03 continues

That year I got above normal snows, 55.5" is my guess at our snow that winter.  Two decent to great snowstorms in February, the 7th noreaster and the 17/18th President's Day Two

• Like 1

I would love me some Dec-Jan 2002-2003....classic interior focused first half. I was in the marine reserves prepping to be mobilzed. I remember en route to pick some guys up in Providence, once I hit the pike/128 interchange...poof it went. I had like a foot of cement pack in Wilmington, and at the the training site in Devens there was like 18 of fluff". I'd imagine my new hood in Methuen had similar to Devens.

• Like 1

I think 02-03 gets overlooked for how great of a winter it was for a wide geographic area. Most areas from the Mid Atlantic to New England and even into Central PA and Upstate NY were well above normal for snowfall. The consistency of the cold was pretty remarkable as well. Anything even remotely resembling that winter would be great.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, WarrenCtyWx said:

I think 02-03 gets overlooked for how great of a winter it was for a wide geographic area. Most areas from the Mid Atlantic to New England and even into Central PA and Upstate NY were well above normal for snowfall. The consistency of the cold was pretty remarkable as well. Anything even remotely resembling that winter would be great.

Yeah it was only really kind of a dud in far NNE...esp up into Maine...though it was frigid there. But elsewhere it was a pretty monster winter. ORH had their 4th snowiest winter on record that season and only 1993-1994 was a colder winter there in the past 3+ decades (for BOS '02-'03 was actually colder than '93-'94 believe it or not and 5th coldest since Logan airport became the site ). 

It def gets the reputation as a Mid-Atlantic centric winter but the monster snows were actually spread out much further than just that region. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

I had to look it up, It was not very good at all up here, But just like 09-10, Would it happen again?

Similar to 09-10 for snowfall, but could hardly be more different for temps and snow retention.  1"+ OG for 146 days, #2 behind 14-15 for that stat, while 09-10 had but 86 days, tied with 99-00 for 2nd lowest.  (Behind 15-16, of course)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it was only really kind of a dud in far NNE...esp up into Maine...though it was frigid there. But elsewhere it was a pretty monster winter. ORH had their 4th snowiest winter on record that season and only 1993-1994 was a colder winter there in the past 3+ decades (for BOS '02-'03 was actually colder than '93-'94 believe it or not and 5th coldest since Logan airport became the site ). 

It def gets the reputation as a Mid-Atlantic centric winter but the monster snows were actually spread out much further than just that region. 

It was only a monster into the deep interior of sne....it was not here.

I had like 86"...very good, but not obscene. 

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Similar to 09-10 for snowfall, but could hardly be more different for temps and snow retention.  1"+ OG for 146 days, #2 behind 14-15 for that stat, while 09-10 had but 86 days, tied with 99-00 for 2nd lowest.  (Behind 15-16, of course)

Cold and dry not really anything i care for to much, Although Ice fishing would be solid and can switch it up from riding if need be, Can always find something recreational to do up here.