Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Countdown to Winter 2018 -2019

eyewall

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I guess I can put this here, but neat PDF on the big 10/4/87 snow event in western NE. Nothing for Tolland though.  Even SW CT got snow.

http://www.wcsu.edu/weather/research_papers/Third_Tri_State/Frank.pdf

It did mix here.  Nothing accumulated but it did mix.

The interesting thing was it also came on the heels of a 4/28 snowfall so it was a very short window between snowfalls.

2 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Wasn’t the following winter terrible? I don’t recall any memorable events in 87/88. 

I had 67" so it was above normal for me.  The following 4 seasons were all duds though.  11/11 was part of back to back Veterans day storms and I had 2 12"+ storms that winter (one in January and the other in February).  January 1988 also ranks in my top 10 coldest January's as we had a couple of days bottoming out around -20°F.  I guess you could call it a winter of "yore".

10 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

It did mix here.  Nothing accumulated but it did mix.

The interesting thing was it also came on the heels of a 4/28 snowfall so it was a very short window between snowfalls.

I had 67" so it was above normal for me.  The following 4 seasons were all duds though.  11/11 was part of back to back Veterans day storms and I had 2 12"+ storms that winter (one in January and the other in February).  January 1988 also ranks in my top 10 coldest January's as we had a couple of days bottoming out around -20°F.  I guess you could call it a winter of "yore".

The 80s were pretty bad so 67” would be a great winter back then. 

• Like 1

87-88 was a pretty good winter. December sucked though after the action in November. January 1988 was a frigid and snowy month. 

The following 4 winters were pathetic. Probably easily the worst 4 years stretch in SNE...96-97 through 99-00 has a case down in southern CT/southern RI...but elsewhere in SNE, probably not. 

6 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Wasn’t the following winter terrible? I don’t recall any memorable events in 87/88. 

Yeah...recall that one vividly...  Not so much because I saw any snow there in Acton, where I lived at the time, but... I was constantly going out to the cars in the driveway as a little weather dork ... studying the large rain drops against the windshield for what later vernacular would come to define as "cat's paws" -

...never saw any...  Kind of tough at 42 I suppose. 

I remember wondering if the snow would come east as the storm pulled away but alas ... it just ended, with the smell of snow in the air even though there wasn't any anywhere around eastern or central zones.  

But ... 2012 rolls around and that Halloween gig is pretty similar in a lot of ways for the sensible impact alone.  The trees were still brudened with greenery and it was late tending color season as I recall.. In fact, mid October that year sported a week in the mid 70s to low 80s with unusually high DPs for that late in the season, and that (I've oft' wondered) may have contributed to a later/belated commitment to leaf falls.   Either way, the oaks weren't interested in autumn yet, and there were some species of maple still holding out when that 7:1'er did the prune job the power companies had been horribly remiss about maintaining.  Spend 6 days without over that deal - 

People forget (Or don't care) but winters from 79 all the way to 93 were pretty bad here in Boston.  We had some useable storms but most of the time it was dreadfully dull with some bouts of cold.  89 to 92 get the lions share of the hate but the early and mid period were very bad. A four inch storm was treated like a blizzard.  I went maybe two or three years in a row with no snow days.

5 minutes ago, 8611Blizz said:

People forget (Or don't care) but winters from 79 all the way to 93 were pretty bad here in Boston.  We had some useable storms but most of the time it was dreadfully dull with some bouts of cold.  89 to 92 get the lions share of the hate but the early and mid period were very bad. A four inch storm was treated like a blizzard.  I went maybe two or three years in a row with no snow days.

BOS actually went over a decade without a 12" storm. Feb '83 to Mar '93. The interior had some decent winters in the early 80s but BOS def got screwed in some of the big storms. Ditto '86-87. I remember when we would go gangbusters over a 3-6" snow forecast (which usually ended up on the low end or even worse) in the late '80s and early '90s. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

BOS actually went over a decade without a 12" storm. Feb '83 to Mar '93. The interior had some decent winters in the early 80s but BOS def got screwed in some of the big storms. Ditto '86-87. I remember when we would go gangbusters over a 3-6" snow forecast (which usually ended up on the low end or even worse) in the late '80s and early '90s. 

Yeah I remember building a giant snowfort in our driveway in 83.  I was 13 and thought "finally we're back to getting snow in winter" and then the next 10 years went by...

But it did make 93 seems like I was living in Alaska :)

44 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That is absolutely astonishing given how lately it seems a fish or seal farts and it snows 12+ in E.MA  :lol:.

This is why we are scared. :lol:

Will and I have talked many times about how 6” was the point I would literally jump up and down for excitement. It was that bad, but we didn’t know any better.

4 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah...recall that one vividly...  Not so much because I saw any snow there in Acton, where I lived at the time, but... I was constantly going out to the cars in the driveway as a little weather dork ... studying the large rain drops against the windshield for what later vernacular would come to define as "cat's paws" -

...never saw any...  Kind of tough at 42 I suppose. 

I remember wondering if the snow would come east as the storm pulled away but alas ... it just ended, with the smell of snow in the air even though there wasn't any anywhere around eastern or central zones.  

But ... 2012 rolls around and that Halloween gig is pretty similar in a lot of ways for the sensible impact alone.  The trees were still brudened with greenery and it was late tending color season as I recall.. In fact, mid October that year sported a week in the mid 70s to low 80s with unusually high DPs for that late in the season, and that (I've oft' wondered) may have contributed to a later/belated commitment to leaf falls.   Either way, the oaks weren't interested in autumn yet, and there were some species of maple still holding out when that 7:1'er did the prune job the power companies had been horribly remiss about maintaining.  Spend 6 days without over that deal - 

BOS had 25% above normal snow in 1987-88.  The following winter was full ratter though.

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

That is absolutely astonishing given how lately it seems a fish or seal farts and it snows 12+ in E.MA  :lol:.

Even the 9 year period between the winter 1983-1984 and 1991-1992....ORH, not BOS...we're talking ORH at 1000 feet.....they only had 4 storms over 12".

4 storms of 12"+ in NINE winters during that period for ORH.

As a comparison, ORH has seen 20 storms of 12"+ in the most recent 9 winters.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stadiumwave said:

Here's our last 5 Octobers:

ONeTRxP.png

Last 5 winters:

4nxkbd7.png

Yeah the recent autumns have pushed the cold over to the Asian side of the globe but it's probably helped our winters produce some big cold at times once cross-polar flow becomes established....as the Siberian highs have been prolific. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

87-88 was a pretty good winter. December sucked though after the action in November. January 1988 was a frigid and snowy month. 

The following 4 winters were pathetic. Probably easily the worst 4 years stretch in SNE...96-97 through 99-00 has a case down in southern CT/southern RI...but elsewhere in SNE, probably not. 

I was in college in RI those 4 years and while there was some snow, I recall the rain and misery mist being the seasonal trend for many of those winter months (I nicknames Rhode Island Rain Island the entire time I was there).  Awful.  I was living in DC from 93 through 97 and I remember coming back to school one of those winters, either 93-94 or 94-95 and Newport to Bristol were buried when I came.  Cars were literally buried like you would see after a Boston blizzard.  I think it was a series of storms that just never missed R.I.

1 hour ago, Cold Miser said:

I was in college in RI those 4 years and while there was some snow, I recall the rain and misery mist being the seasonal trend for many of those winter months (I nicknames Rhode Island Rain Island the entire time I was there).  Awful.  I was living in DC from 93 through 97 and I remember coming back to school one of those winters, either 93-94 or 94-95 and Newport to Bristol were buried when I came.  Cars were literally buried like you would see after a Boston blizzard.  I think it was a series of storms that just never missed R.I.

It was 93-94....94-95 was rat-city.

32 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Hopefully not a bad omen, but I saw a rat dying on a deck today....however Sox vs Yanks ps tilt and weak modoki el nino screams 2004.

I had an owl suicide bomb my car 2 nights ago.  Thing was huge.  Didn't have a prayer though once it hit.  I got out to see if it was o.k., but it died a slow death in front of me...staring at me with those creepy owl eyes.