Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Countdown to Winter 2018 -2019

eyewall

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

You'll measure 3.5", BOX 4.5" but somehow Tblizz has 7" 1SM NW of KBOX.

LOL. Look at our numbers in the snow table. Always pretty close, and always consistently higher than BOX.

Anyway, I’ve moved. Living off of 44 on the raynham line now. So myself and Matt (butterfish) should be almost dead on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

LOL. Look at our numbers in the snow table. Always pretty close, and always consistently higher than BOX.

Anyway, I’ve moved. Living off of 44 on the raynham line now. So myself and Matt (butterfish) should be almost dead on.

I’m Joking. Good luck with the new place!

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:46 AM, weathafella said:

February and March tried.  Powderfreak endorsed.

Tale of 2 seasons.  Cherrypicking start-end dates:

Nov 8-Jan 13, 67 days:  temp +7.00  Precip 9.62"   Snow 11.0"  Snow/day:  0.164

Jan 14-Apr 18, 94 days:  Temp -4.91  Precip  15.17"  Snow  84.3"  Snow/day:  0.897

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

The subsurface data is strongly favoring modoki/west-based El Nino at this point. If you compare with the same period in 2006, you can clearly see how 2006 was going to become more classic with time with all the subsurface warmth further east.

Sept20_subsurface.gif

Sep20-2006-subsurface.png

Lot of good seasons within those indexed years.

Modocki Index.png

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

The subsurface data is strongly favoring modoki/west-based El Nino at this point. If you compare with the same period in 2006, you can clearly see how 2006 was going to become more classic with time with all the subsurface warmth further east.

Sept20_subsurface.gif

Sounds good, but what are your thoughts on this regarding a full basin event?  I came across this today. ( below ) 

I myslef do not buy that, but I would think the El Nino could become a hair more robust,  but still be West-Based / Modaki in nature.

2 hours ago, frd said:

Sounds good, but what are your thoughts on this regarding a full basin event?  I came across this today. ( below ) 

I myslef do not buy that, but I would think the El Nino could become a hair more robust,  but still be West-Based / Modaki in nature.

I dunno, I'm not expert enough to know what technically qualifies as a "full basin" event....but regardless, I do not see how this doesn't remain very west based looking at the subsurface.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Sept20_subsurface.gif

I just made that same dichotomy in my last blog post a couple of days ago. I'm about ready to put that analog to bed.

2 hours ago, frd said:

I'm not sure some understand what exactly is meant by "basin wide", or "full basin".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'm not sure some understand what exactly is meant by "basin wide", or "full basin".

So true. 

Ray,  are you making progress on your solar research . I know in the other thread you were debating how important it is whether we are headed into the solar min, or whether there is a lag ( headed away from ) and it might be best for next winter in that scenario.  

2 minutes ago, frd said:

So true. 

Ray,  are you making progress on your solar research . I know in the other thread you were debating how important it is whether we are headed into the solar min, or whether there is a lag ( headed away from ) and it might be best for next winter in that scenario.  

We don't know. But does a weak modoki el nino winter within one year of the solar minimum verifying mild pass the smell test?

The answer is no.

• Like 1