• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Forecast Discussion

IWXwx

Folks living about halfway between Des Moines and Ames woke up to 4-8+ inches of snow this morning.  I'd have loved to see that falling at its peak rate.  Models suggested there could be a narrow band of accumulating snow, but I don't think anyone expected this.  Once again, a piddly little weakening system drops more snow on a few spots than I've seen from any storm in years.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Chinook said:

Here's a map from 10z showing freezing rain at Dayton, Wilmington, Fort Wayne, Muncie, and Columbus.

9CzGokz.jpg

Really wasn't that bad especially since temps were right at 32. Road temps were already warmer than 32 and pretreated so they were mainly wet. There was a very thin layer of ice on my windshields which I could easily wipe away with my hand. All in all not as bad as expected.

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Looks like a cold rain next Friday/Saturday morning, but other than that zzzzz.  Severe threat down in the southeast tomorrow will at least be interesting to watch.

Could be a decently strong event if the CAMs are correct, not to say that the globals are far from it though.

57 minutes ago, Chambana said:

The lack of severe wx really going back until last fall has been depressing. Doesn’t look to improve for the foreseeable future. I fear a 2013 esque spring may be on tap. 

I'm not sure what the spring will bring, but we are going to need a flip if we are to have a chance for severe. I did get to chase an EF-2 on November 5th though .

23131987_1857213137652011_8955216904793560527_n.jpg

IMG_0390.JPG

Some interesting march climate stats for FWA and SBN from Sam at IWX this morning:

Interesting climate note that South Bend has not had a low 
temperature above 29 since the 6th and has not had a low temperature 
above freezing all month. Through today, the 25th, March 2018 is 
tied with 1912, 1941 and 1960 with the first 25 days all having low 
temperatures below freezing. March 1912 and 1941 went on to have 30 
days with low temperatures less than 32 degrees. 

Fort Wayne has had one day this month with a low temperature above 
freezing, that was on the first. The second day had a low 
temperature of 32. Since then, there have been no days with a low 
temperature at or above freezing. March 1941 and March 1960 hold the 
record of 26 March days with low temperatures below freezing. 

The easterly winds are advecting the warm air from the snow free areas into this area pretty nicely this afternoon.  Temp is 42 here, while only in mid 30s in the QC.  We've lost several inches today, and the depth is now down to about 4".  All paved areas that weren't shoveled are down to a slushy inch or so.  The strong late March sun is doing work.

24 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

The easterly winds are advecting the warm air from the snow free areas into this area pretty nicely this afternoon.  Temp is 42 here, while only in mid 30s in the QC.  We've lost several inches today, and the depth is now down to about 4".  All paved areas that weren't shoveled are down to a slushy inch or so.  The strong late March sun is doing work.

51 at VYS and upper 30s/low 40s just south of there in the snow area

il_sfc.gif.4f5fed44c9b642befa13f054dbb44a9f.gif

34 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

51 at VYS and upper 30s/low 40s just south of there in the snow area

il_sfc.gif.4f5fed44c9b642befa13f054dbb44a9f.gif

Nice.  Yeah that 51 degree air there, and the 48 degrees at Sterling is blowing right into this area.  Up to 44 now here.  You can tell that it just isn't natural to have snow on the ground this time of year with how quickly it's vanishing despite a major warmup.  It's been fun watching the vis satellite loop today.  

It's been a rainy evening, with a few decent brief downpours.  Picked up 0.30" so far.  Even though temps were almost as warm as yesterday, and we've had this rain the snow melt today wasn't nearly as rapid as yesterday.  Lack of sun definitely made a difference.  Still holding on to about 3" of extremely wet/dense snow pack.  

Archived