March Banter

George BM

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

Not even a -2. Bust

nao.sprd2.gif

:facepalm: dude... first of all different places measure the nao differently. That obviously doesn't use the same measure as some of the ones that show -4 sigma because look at the day 7/10/14 forecasts there.  It actually nailed it and if anything it verified lower then the day 14 forecast. How is that a bust???? 

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Haha true. Too bad that ain’t us (city folk) this year.

It's been bad here too just the bar is different. I need 2 more inches to break 20. It's very rare not to break 20" here. Even last year I got 23". It's been a bottom 10% winter here too. I just don't whine about it because no one else wants to hear it. Especially some people in here that haven't had 10" the last 2 years combined  

4 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

Be careful with this kind of talk! A lot of people here just like to track lr even if it’s never right nor does it ever snow. 

Sounds more like an emotional response than a factual one...Tracking wasn't so useless just a couple years ago was it? (And how about the two winters before). Just because it doesn't turn out the way we want doesn't mean LR tracking is useless. LR tracking is about potential...you chase the potential. If it goes poof then it goes poof. But it is erroneous to say it's NEVER right...nope, ya can't factually say that. The fails suck, but you can't blame the LR for that. And look, some folks like the chase (personally I only like the chase if it pans out...but that's just me)...but even so, it's still chasing potential.

Now based on what I've observed from conversations you've had with others on this board...what I'm saying may go in one ear and out the other, but...please, man...don't crap all over people for tracking weather in the LR. Not necessary!

1 hour ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I think I’d really enjoy wind if I didn’t have massive trees in my front and backyard.

Me too. Of course trees are always dropping something, so cleaning up limbs and lots of smaller debris is just part of the deal. I have only had one big oak come down near the house, and that was during Irene. I do need to get a few more removed though.

1 hour ago, Jebman said:

The WORST has happened. The Bomb Cyclone is moving south southwest. The wind is NOT letting up. I WILL spend all night all scared, frantically looking out the window every time that shrieking wind out of Hell comes to pillage and destroy Dale City. This thing is never going to let up. I will spend the rest of my miserable life being scared to death of 67 mph gusts. It REFUSES to move east. It is going to spin and spin, blow and blow, until we are all completely destroyed, and I will never again know any peace, and shall not sleep for wretched days and days. It blew my sorry ass all over the Safeway parking lot with 60 mph gusts tonight. Jebwalks are absolutely impossible and are not encouraged.

Rain storms move quickly away from us. Snow, when we get it, is short and sweet, we never get Blocks to hold snows in place for days. But devastating windstorms? The Block keeps them here for days. We are not a snowtown. We are a Bomb Cyclone WindTown.

Fear not for the great SHELLACKENING cometh!

This winter has been full of little ironies.

This system is moving south southwest for the moment. The strip of snow is moving back west. It is only 60 miles from my backyard.

For all the damned trouble this storm has caused us, if it is not going to move away for now, why cant it for once move that snow west another 60-70 miles and give us a coating at least. People have died in this damn wind. Houses are shredded. If only we could get a little snow for all of our troubles. Everyone else in this world has had snow, even the fracken Sahara for goodness sake! Texas has had more snow than us. Louisiana has had far more snow than us.

We have definitely earned it this winter. People have faithfully tracked it for us for months and months.

Why cant the Universe break out some odds in our favor, for just this once, let this be the one time a massive storm backs enough that we get a surprise snow?

31 minutes ago, H2O said:

There might be some who like to track long range stuff that never pans out.  That’s their hobby. 

But it beats a few in here that only post to b**ch about how it doesn’t snow in the mid Atlantic. All. The. Time. 

I know right!

Imagine, going to a forum of snowlovers who spend countless hours during the winter tracking snow, and then they get upset when it doesn't happen!

Its ridiculous!

4 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

I know right!

Imagine, going to a forum of snowlovers who spend countless hours during the winter tracking snow, and then they get upset when it doesn't happen!

Its ridiculous!

I do the same thing with lottery tickets.  I play and play and play, but I still have to get up and go to work each Monday.  I don't get it.  I track numbers, find combinations, study other states numbers, research the best place to buy them, etc, etc.  And I still haven't won.  It's so unfair!  Other people have won!  Where's my winnings?!?

I've EARNED the right to win!!!  Wah :cry:, wah :cry: , wah :cry: ...

I think a better analogy is going to a forum dedicated to the Washington Redskins Football team, and complaining about people who complain when the team loses.

We celebrate our victories, we get angry at our loses. That's not bitching, its called passion. Should it be in the model thread? absolutely not. Especially if there is no analysis with it. But now some people are mad when its in the panic room. LOL

24 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

I think a better analogy is going to a forum dedicated to the Washington Redskins Foot team, and complaining about people who complain when the team loses.

We celebrate our victories, we get angry at our loses. That's not bitching, its called passion. Should it be in the model thread? absolutely not. Especially if there is no analysis with it. But now some people are mad when its in the panic room. LOL

I'm not mad about it in the panic room but I still think it's silly. Not to sound condescending, but I used to get mad about not getting snow, though some people here take it to an exponentially higher level. And I used to be more "passionate" about football too. I'm not sure what's changed as I've gotten older, but worrying about things that I can't control like the weather, and then complaining about it doesn't make much sense. 

As far as football is concerned, the NFL has probably changed more than I have in the past 25 years, as has most professional and even amateur sports, and I'm not a big fan of the change. But I'm also not closed to the notion that how I feel is a combination of my changes too.

i've mostly checked out of snow, but i like all kinds of fun weather, so i'm ok with that.  i can see why someone who maybe only enjoys snowstorms would cling to every opportunity, but this really hasn't been our winter.  maybe we can will our way to something because the idea of going into spring with at least 1 decent snowstorm sounds right, but time is not on our side.  it's not even easy getting snow here in january these days much less march.  what can ya do.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF pinned this topic

Archived