Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March Banter

George BM

2 minutes ago, Jandurin said:
14 minutes ago, BristowWx said:
You’re right.  It’s not. But it’s long enough to know what setup will yield an amazing wind event.  It will be windy but nothing memorable outside the high elevations and right on the coast.  In between it will be windy.  With mostly cloudy skies and temps in the 40s. Hardly anything to be excited about.  

Isn't your opinion that nothing save the derecho has been noteworthy

We do often fail with wind events. Some are pretty good but fail to hit top end expectations. This one has unusual consensus across all guidance for an impact event. If any hyped wind event is going to perform, the odds of this one are pretty high. Top of the mixing layer is progged to have sustained hurricane force for more than a couple hours. I can't remember the last time I've seen that with non-tropical. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We do often fail with wind events. Some are pretty good but fail to hit top end expectations. This one has unusual consensus across all guidance for an impact event. If any hyped wind event is going to perform, the odds of this one are pretty high. Top of the mixing layer is progged to have sustained hurricane force for more than a couple hours. I can't remember the last time I've seen that with non-tropical. 
Yep

People around here are used to the 30 minute thunderstorm winds not the 10 hour hurricane winds. They always seem so weak when they get here

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Well if you are impressed then perhaps it’s legit.  I am not just being contrary to be a d-bag but quite often we fail at most events that are progged to be memorable.  Maybe this will be different 

Well if you are impressed then perhaps it’s legit.  I am not just being contrary to be a d-bag but quite often we fail at most events that are progged to be memorable.  Maybe this will be different 
It may still fail and that's my actual hope as I have to drive to work tomorrow and drop the kid at daycare

But disregarding potential due to previous experience will eventually bite you in the ass

1 minute ago, Jandurin said:

It may still fail and that's my actual hope as I have to drive to work tomorrow and drop the kid at daycare

But disregarding potential due to previous experience will eventually bite you in the ass

Yes it will.  Cheers to the wind.  I hope it blows.  

Just now, BristowWx said:

It subjective so we all have our own criteria at to what is legit and what is underwhelming. If all 3 airports log multiple 60+mph gusts then this will go down as a rare significant wind event in my book. If the peak gusts end up in the low to mid 50s then it's a significant but not uncommon event. However, if there are hourly 50mph gusts for 6-8 hours the that's pretty high end too. One of the unique parts of this setup is duration. Many times after a super front or something like that we get big winds but only for a couple hours before it backs off. Tomorrow could be many hours of pulses because of the unusual low track. It actually gets closer over time even though it starts to the north of us. 

Just in case a huge tree gets snapped off and then tumbles in a rogue 70 mph gust and demolishes my house.......

Its been great knowing you all. I love the weather, I just dont like excessive winds. I cant complain, I have had a wonderful life. Live each day like its your last. You never know what may happen. Find love and laugh a lot. Go chase a big snowstorm and jebwalk in it to the MAX. Thats a recipe for a long happy life.

5 minutes ago, Jebman said:

Just in case a huge tree gets snapped off and then tumbles in a rogue 70 mph gust and demolishes my house.......

Its been great knowing you all. I love the weather, I just dont like excessive winds. I cant complain, I have had a wonderful life. Live each day like its your last. You never know what may happen. Find love and laugh a lot. Go chase a big snowstorm and jebwalk in it to the MAX. Thats a recipe for a long happy life.

lol  with a post like that you need a paying sponsor- you know like them tv ads. something sad like the pill people advertise or any of that boo hoo stuff they show before a big game.  heart wrenching stuf. 

dilly dilly. -

Lol opm closed which means my daycare closed which means I stay home

Storm overperformed in my book

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

This time I got lucky. I just happened to be up here for a mix of business and pleasure. I don't have gloves or good boots lol because I didn't think I'd need them. 

Really happy this is working out in my area but if the gf weren't so adamant about her hatred of snow I'd be in Hunter, NY taking in 2'+. 

The things we do for love...or rather, to keep the peace :lol: 

enjoy it either way, friend!

9 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

This time I got lucky. I just happened to be up here for a mix of business and pleasure. I don't have gloves or good boots lol because I didn't think I'd need them. 

Really happy this is working out in my area but if the gf weren't so adamant about her hatred of snow I'd be in Hunter, NY taking in 2'+. 

The things we do for love...or rather, to keep the peace :lol: 

if you just show her how stable and well adjusted us weather nerds are she will become one of us faster than you can say Ninas suck for snow in DC.

7 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

In MY defense, the forecast 12 hours ago was rain/snow slop that would barely accumulate. When it was clear the NAM was busting warm it was cause to celebrate. 

I'm just bustin.  Hell, I've been telling mappy all morning how I want to go on the roof of my building when a big wind gust comes through just for fun.

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

I know :P 

My gf was not. She thinks we're all freaks, wishing misery and chaos on the masses.  

that happens regardless of our wants and desires.  if we really wanted misery and chaos on the masses we would force people to read my posts.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF pinned this topic

Archived