joxey
March Banter

George BM

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Weather thought of the day

Weren't 2/5-6/10 and 2/9-10/10 top analogs for March 5th, 2013? Found that fascinating

By that I am referring to these posts

On 3/6/2013 at 1:37 AM, Ian said:

that and 2/6 were showing up almost every run on CIPS. it's like a 2/10 turning into a 2/5-6.

On 3/6/2013 at 1:35 AM, mitchnick said:

once I heard 2/10/10 was a #1 analog, I felt we had a great shot so long as temps cooperated

Something about being from Louisiana... I am probably reacting to news of wind tomorrow like y'all react to 1" of snow. In Louisiana, 1" of snow is O.O and 70mph wind is a summer thunderstorm.

Here, though, 1" of snow is meh and 70 mph is O.O.

Have fun though, I'll be glad to get yet another taste of Louisiana since I've moved here. I mean, my home city has had more snow than us and now we're getting 70 mph winds, lmao.

9 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

If I am going to be honest that fact is what is stopping me and not being called a tree killer by my wife. :lol:

Had an estimate on the oak a quite few years back and I was looking at roughly $3000. Really don't want to know what it would cost me now. Problem with it is there is no way to get a lift/cherry picker back to it so it would have to involve scaling the tree. To further complicate it, it sits right on top of my house where almost half of it reaches over my addition. We are planning on selling in about 4 years so I am to the point where i might just let the new home owners deal with it and pray I don't have any issues before that time.

Oak trees are strong as sh*t.  Very tough wood not likely to break in strong winds.  Pines, on the other hand, tend to be softer wood especially white pines.  I have a few tall white pines beside my house but so far they have behaved well through the worst winds and even ice.  My oak trees don't even bend in ice a bit, lol.  I had one tall pine removed a few years ago,  the one closest to the house, leaving the closest one about 35 feet away from the side now.

2012 Derecho: Power out for 7 days

Feb 2010 Blizzards: Power out for 4 days, 2 days (had to watch the superbowl at our grandparents house 10 minutes away which oddly enough had power)

Hurricane Sandy: Power out for 4 days

Jan 26th 2011 storm: Power out for 2 days

Don't remember any others, but of course there are many I was too young to remember

1 hour ago, supernovasky said:

Something about being from Louisiana... I am probably reacting to news of wind tomorrow like y'all react to 1" of snow. In Louisiana, 1" of snow is O.O and 70mph wind is a summer thunderstorm.

Here, though, 1" of snow is meh and 70 mph is O.O.

Have fun though, I'll be glad to get yet another taste of Louisiana since I've moved here. I mean, my home city has had more snow than us and now we're getting 70 mph winds, lmao.

We can get some legit long duration wind events around here sometimes. Tstorms are different because they are brief and localized. We can be in the sweet spot sometimes with tight pressure gradients between deep lows off the coast and strong highs feeding in from behind. Tomorrow is about as good as it gets for long duration strong winds with impressive gusts. You may he surprised. 

Wind direction is prime for mixing down becuase of downsloping off the higher ridges to the north and west. Sandy was more of an easterly/northeasterly surface flow. We do best near the cities with the W-N quadrant. All systems go from how it looks right now. There are going to be a lot of surprised people...and trash cans rolling down the streets tomorrow morning. 

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

We can get some legit long duration wind events around here sometimes. Tstorms are different because they are brief and localized. We can be in the sweet spot sometimes with tight pressure gradients between deep lows off the coast and strong highs feeding in from behind. Tomorrow is about as good as it gets for long duration strong winds with impressive gusts. You may he surprised. 

Wind direction is prime for mixing down becuase of downsloping off the higher ridges to the north and west. Sandy was more of an easterly/northeasterly surface flow. We do best near the cities with the W-N quadrant. All systems go from how it looks right now. There are going to be a lot of surprised people...and trash cans rolling down the streets tomorrow morning. 

I get it, but we also get tropical in Louisiana so I'm no stranger for long duration wind events.

I will be quite surprised though if it actually impresses me. I love long duration heavy wind so I'm a bit excited to be frank.

1 minute ago, supernovasky said:

I get it, but we also get tropical in Louisiana so I'm no stranger for long duration wind events.

I will be quite surprised though if it actually impresses me. I love long duration heavy wind so I'm a bit excited to be frank.

I honestly can't wait until you experience a major snowstorm. You won't know what hit you. It may be quite the wait, but it'll be worth it

Just now, supernovasky said:

Absolutely. Your tropical climo destroys ours. This one should rival some of the weaker tropical events you've had down south. It's going to roar and rattle for quite a while. I'm hoping I don't lose power though. I have a lot of work to do tomorow and my office line is voip based so no power = no work getting done. 

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Absolutely. Your tropical climo destroys ours. This one should rival some of the weaker tropical events you've had down south. It's going to roar and rattle for quite a while. I'm hoping I don't lose power though. I have a lot of work to do tomorow and my office line is voip based so no power = no work getting done. 

Yeah, I hope I don't lose power either. I'm also somewhat hoping my daycare stays open. We'll see.

You really think it'll rival some of the tropical storms? Most tropical I got was 8-12 hours of 40-50 mph with 70 mph gusts. Of course, those were the most common. I've been through Andrew and Katrina and Rita so I know how crazy it can get.

But shoot if this is actually legit tropical storm worthy I'm now a little excited!

4 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Lol, I said this last year and I'll say it again. I'm convinced they aren't real and I was lied to on TV.

Lol! We'll get our epic year, whenever it comes. I imagine this forum would be completely empty if we got a decade of winters exactly like this (is that even possible, even in a climate 5 degrees warmer?)

Also, I highlighted in the thread about combining all 3 airport totals in storms/winters, and it appeared as if our biggest years are getting bigger, and our worst winters are getting worse. Would make sense, since it seems as if we get at least one storm with every -NAO that comes close to a big storm. 

Oh yeah, and we kind of lost all of our luck with the 13/14-15/16 stretch, so there's that. We're not overdue for a blizzard for another 4 years (lol)

2 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Yeah, I hope I don't lose power either. I'm also somewhat hoping my daycare stays open. We'll see.

You really think it'll rival some of the tropical storms? Most tropical I got was 8-12 hours of 40-50 mph with 70 mph gusts. Of course, those were the most common. I've been through Andrew and Katrina and Rita so I know how crazy it can get.

But shoot if this is actually legit tropical storm worthy I'm now a little excited!

It won’t be that good.  I have lived here 25 years.  Except for that derecho event nothing ever lives up to the hype with wind.  You won’t be impressed.  If I am wrong so be it.  

1 minute ago, BristowWx said:

It won’t be that good.  I have lived here 25 years.  Except for that derecho event nothing ever lives up to the hype with wind.  You won’t be impressed.  If I am wrong so be it.  

I'm actually getting more excited. I can let y'all know from my perspective if it matches up to the true tropical wind events in the Gulf coast :D

And hey, at least it isn't boring weather. 

1 minute ago, Jandurin said:
2 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

25 years ain't that long

You’re right.  It’s not. But it’s long enough to know what setup will yield an amazing wind event.  It will be windy but nothing memorable outside the high elevations and right on the coast.  In between it will be windy.  With mostly cloudy skies and temps in the 40s. Hardly anything to be excited about.  

You’re right.  It’s not. But it’s long enough to know what setup will yield an amazing wind event.  It will be windy but nothing memorable outside the high elevations and right on the coast.  In between it will be windy.  With mostly cloudy skies and temps in the 40s. Hardly anything to be excited about.  
Isn't your opinion that nothing save the derecho has been noteworthy

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF pinned this topic

Archived