Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Banter

George BM

8 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

LWX is likely doing what they are based on the arcane logic that this is "two storms" and they don't have to issue squat on "phase II" yet.

So all they have to forecast for right now is the mostly rain early front part.

I usually don't get into the debate about watches or warnings, but I'd like to know their thinking on this one.  NOt saying it's right or wrong..just odd how every office around us has them up.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

I usually don't get into the debate about watches or warnings, but I'd like to know their thinking on this one.  NOt saying it's right or wrong..just odd how every office around us has them up.

It was just a slight delay. Watches are up now.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
47 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I dont know what I am missing with the timing on these advisories. But all of the models have snow starting here very early tomorrow morning? Watches are for tomorrow night? 

NVM. I didnt see they issued two different statements. 

They are looking at it in two pieces...  The WWA is for the slop for tomorrow... The WSW is for the second piece that comes in tomorrow night into Wednesday.  They are not treating it as one storm.

26 minutes ago, WestminsterSnowCapitalMA said:

LOL @ lwx coming in with an advisory for ~1 inch tomorrow. 

Yeah. What do the pro mets know over at LWX. Idgets.

Oh, wait. They said ice accumulations too.

"A Winter Weather Advisory will be issued for any amount of freezing rain, or when 2 to 4 inches of snow (alone or in combination with sleet and freezing rain), is expected to cause a significant inconvenience, but not serious enough to warrant a warning."

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

RIC is more likely to verify than DCA.

That's negative 2.8" for RIC.  It's what I need for the snowfall contest. 

I'd be surprised if RIC reported negative accumulations.  If anyone is going to report negative accumulations, it would be DCA. 

For those focusing on the ragged radar west of the Apps around the center of circulation, that's normal as the ull begins to cross the mountains.  And the blossoming radar for us is looking better and better and hopefully a good sign of what's to come.
Also, I should put this in the March banter thread, but I'm stoked that the Austin bombings may be over. 

Figured I’d jump this over. Glad to hear that the coward killed himself. Just have to hope nothing else is out there. I’ll admit to being morbidly interested in the case. Can’t figure out a motive and the idea of tripwire bombs in a major US city felt so NCIS.

26 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Figured I’d jump this over. Glad to hear that the coward killed himself. Just have to hope nothing else is out there. I’ll admit to being morbidly interested in the case. Can’t figure out a motive and the idea of tripwire bombs in a major US city felt so NCIS.

Thanks for the cross-over to the right thread, and we don't have to discuss it, but I also found myself interested in the story.  I think the sniper stuff from over 15 years ago has left a scar on me.  It's not that I ever felt like anything was going to happen to me, but a general scar in the sense that there are some whacky peeps out there.

• WxUSAF pinned this topic

Hopefully this ends the beyond stupid "it can't snow because of persistence" and "why are you wasting your time tracking" BS nonsense we get every time it doesn't snow much by February. Forget all the old examples I've given over the years we now have 3 recent examples (2015, 2016 & 2018) where people gave up and whined  incessantly when winter got off to a putrid start and then we got a good snowstorm. 

Yea I know this year it came way later then ideal but we're not Vermont we don't get to be choosy with snow. It comes when it comes.  And unfortunately it's fairly common for us to go long stretches over multiple years without a big snow. Sucks but that's reality.

But it can snow anytime between Halloween and Easter in any year no matter how craptastic it's been so I'm tracking every threat and if anyone doesn't like it too bad. 

22 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Hopefully this ends the beyond stupid "it can't snow because of persistence" and "why are you wasting your time tracking" BS nonsense we get every time it doesn't snow much by February. Forget all the old examples I've given over the years we now have 3 recent examples (2015, 2016 & 2018) where people gave up and whined  incessantly when winter got off to a putrid start and then we got a good snowstorm. 

Yea I know this year it came way later then ideal but we're not Vermont we don't get to be choosy with snow. It comes when it comes.  And unfortunately it's fairly common for us to go long stretches over multiple years without a big snow. Sucks but that's reality.

But it can snow anytime between Halloween and Easter in any year no matter how craptastic it's been so I'm tracking every threat and if anyone doesn't like it too bad. 

Agree 100%, I've had snow anywhere from Oct 10th (1979) 7" to April 4/5/6th (1987,1990,1992,1993, 2013) 2-6 inches. You can get rain anytime, but if a little cold sneaks in........

1 minute ago, wxdude64 said:

Agree 100%, I've had snow anywhere from Oct 10th (1979) 7" to April 4/5/6th (1987,190,1992,1993, 2013) 2-6 inches. You can get rain anytime, but if a little cold sneaks in........

Our default setting is "fail" so the army of Debs that get going every time we go a month of winter without a big snow are annoying because saying "see it didn't snow told you so" makes them right by default 90% of the time...until it snows and they look stupid again. 

8 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

I literally have maybe a couple white patches left. Looks like it barely snowed at all.

Same here. Not many areas in our back or front yard that get most or all day shade. Only big snow piles left are shoveled piles in our driveway & my brother's snow ramp he made for sledding.

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Fastest. Melt. Ever.

3/25/13 melted way faster here.  This stuff has some mass, cause we got a lot of sleet and it was subfreezing for a long time. 

And the 2/15/14  50 degree windy day when my high was supposed to be 34 melted a lot too.

5 minutes ago, Amped said:

3/25/13 melted way faster here.  This stuff has some mass, cause we got a lot of sleet and it was subfreezing for a long time. 

And the 2/15/14  50 degree windy day when my high was supposed to be 34 melted a lot too.

I remember people on this subforum talking about the 2/12/06 storm melting really quickly, like the day after 

7 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

I remember people on this subforum talking about the 2/12/06 storm melting really quickly, like the day after 

we average 40-45 degrees in the middle of winter as a high for a reason.  fringe snowtown, we are.  that's why i'm ok with yesterday.  take it while it's there.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived