Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March Banter

George BM

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, WhiteoutMD said:

Just curious do you care much about brands/manufactures in vehicle reliability or is that not something that’s not important to you. I’m looking for a new commuter car now vehicles are on my mind now.

Commuter cars are simple. Honda or toyota with a simple fuel injected or direct injection 4 banger. My wife's Honda has a 6 speed manual and 200hp squeezed out of the 4 cyl engine and it's flawless and fun to drive with 30mpg average. Manuals are the ultimate in reliability but they are a dying breed. Autos go 150k no problem all day long. When it comes to reliability, good mileage, and good driving experience for a fair price you really can't beat what the Japanese are doing. That's where I will always sink my cash with a reliable commuter. 

If you want pure American muscle then dodge cars and ram trucks have that market cornered imho but buying that kind of vehicle is a poor choice for economical commuting. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

@C.A.P.E.

Does not surprise me at all. Unfortunately, Mopar is known for pcm stuff and electrical goblins. Almost all high performance motors are prone to it. Especially turbos and more manufacturers are going that direction. I went with a hemi because I personally don't like turbos but they are here to stay. 

It'S exactly why I'm going to buy the lifetime maxcare when my bumper to bumper runs out in July. Squeezing the sick amount of HP out of these motors is all technology based and every single thing the motor does is computer controlled. Pcm problems at some point are part of the game. It was most likely software and not hardware related but debugging software is more expensive and time consuming than just putting in a new brain. 

The good thing is the chances of it happening again is fairly slim. And I'm with you, I'm not going to be on this planet all that much longer so I'm going to enjoy the F out of my time left. 400hp mated to a beautifully programmed 8 speed trans and magnaflow exhaust makes me smile every.single.time I sink my foot into it. 

My b to b warranty will expire on miles. I drive the hell out of this thing. I am going to keep it though, so I will extend. 

Yeah nothing like putting the hammer down on the throttle of a powerful engine. HEMIs git it. My rig is a 2012, so unfortunately I have the old 5 spd. It was 14 or 15 by the time they got the 8 spd ready for SRT duty.

3 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

My b to b warranty will expire on miles. I drive the hell out of this thing. I am going to keep it though, so I will extend. 

Yeah nothing like putting the hammer down on the throttle of a powerful engine. HEMIs git it. My rig is a 2012, so unfortunately I have the old 5 spd. It was 14 or 15 by the time they got the 8 spd ready for SRT duty.

With your 6.4 the power makes up for the ratios so there's that. They are built for fun and they do fun very very well. I'm buying a travel trailer in the next year so my truck is going to be a horse too. 

We really need to meet up. Even for just 15 mins. I'm driving back through easton on Monday but I'm sure you're working. Im making the Cambridge trip weekly now so plenty of op for shooting the S. I don't drink anymore but I'll go to any bar too. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

With your 6.4 the power makes up for the ratios so there's that. They are built for fun and they do fun very very well. I'm buying a travel trailer in the next year so my truck is going to be a horse too. 

We really need to meet up. Even for just 15 mins. I'm driving back through easton on Monday but I'm sure you're working. Im making the Cambridge trip weekly now so plenty of op for shooting the S. I don't drink anymore but I'll go to any bar too. 

I can get out for lunch when I'm not teaching, and I dont have a class for a few weeks. Monday might not work because I am borrowing a work minivan now and I might not have it after Monday am. If my Jeep isn't done I will need to get a rental. But yeah, sometime soon definitely.

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Commuter cars are simple. Honda or toyota with a simple fuel injected or direct injection 4 banger. My wife's Honda has a 6 speed manual and 200hp squeezed out of the 4 cyl engine and it's flawless and fun to drive with 30mpg average. Manuals are the ultimate in reliability but they are a dying breed. Autos go 150k no problem all day long. When it comes to reliability, good mileage, and good driving experience for a fair price you really can't beat what the Japanese are doing. That's where I will always sink my cash with a reliable commuter. 

If you want pure American muscle then dodge cars and ram trucks have that market cornered imho but buying that kind of vehicle is a poor choice for economical commuting. 

Yea I have a 2005 acura tl 303,000 on it needs some work coming up tires, front brakes, right front axle I think its time to replace it.  I think I can get 6 more months out of it before work is needed.  I just really don't like any body styles out (sedans), I really don't want a turbo either! need a strait 6 or 4. whats everyone driving? 

10 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

In his defense, did you see how bad that program was before him?  He has made them relevant again.  Their problem, as it always has been since Ralph, is they can't land the blue-chip athletes.

UVA is basically Pitt 2.0

Like you said without signing great athletes, this is the style a team like UVA has to play to win consistanty.

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

The challenge for me is embracing the fact that it's a road less traveled and will require a life of discomfort, setbacks, and change. 

lol that's the antithesis of what i look for in life

good thing someone is willing to try and stuff

35 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I didn't forget about this post! 

I learned a lot out in Colorado. I learned a lot about myself on a big stage and I learned a lot about what has really become the lost art of leadership, at least in the political space. 

IMO, the most effective leaders are servant-leaders that are self aware. They innately understand that one cannot accomplish a goal solely because of their talents. They understand that leadership is about improving the condition of others. As such, they need people. They need advisors, partners, adversaries, and rank and file. They are willing and able to build coalitions, and communicate progress in a way that delays time's natural erosion of said coalitions and movements. The people they lead know that the leader is for "them" and not themselves. 

This kind of collaborative and perceptive leader isn't weak. They are bold and decisive. This has been the case of some of our great political and business leaders. They have a vision, or they see that a large portion of the country has a sense of where they want to go, and they are willing to step forward and do the work necessary to make it happen. 

As for me, I think the conference finally flipped the switch inside. A friend said to me the other day that I've always had an idea of what I could do, but the things I've experienced the last few years has revealed my purpose. 

I am awfully blessed to know before turning 30 what my calling in life is, and that I have the ability to make a difference. No doubt about it.

The challenge for me is embracing the fact that it's a road less traveled and will require a life of discomfort, setbacks, and change. 

That's awesome!

In case you want to take a break tomorrow from tracking Tuesday's storm and want to see a film that stars a weather forecaster and aliens ... 

Juichiro Osugi, a demotivated weather forecaster, suddenly comes to believe that he is from Mars after mysteriously struck by blinding light. About the same time, his children also awake as aliens. They believe that they have different missions to accomplish on Earth and Juichiro believes his is to let people realize the immediate danger of environmental crisis. His peculiar plea to save the beautiful planet earns him the limelight; however, a mysterious would-be alien appears to claim against Juichiro. Once a frivolous weatherman now desperately tries to let the man and his audience understand his conviction, not knowing the fate awaiting him ahead.

https://dceff.org/film/beautiful-star/

@WxWatcher007

Very mature post. Being 20 years older I will add a little experience. I thought I had the world figured out during the 02-09 years. The financial meltdown cost me my business, livelyhood, and the 15 employees I had went through the same thing. Nobody saw it coming the way it did and it left me scrambling and quite honestly, very depressed. I was the bread winner with 4 minor children at the time. 

I've long since recovered but I learned a very important life lesson. Diversification isn't just about portfolios. It's very much important with income/career/life experience. I have mutiple income streams and backup plans now. If my world implodes again I already have plan b and c ready to go. You went through a bit of a disaster with the loss of your job not too long ago. I can practically guaranty something similar will happen again and you probably won't see it coming. 

Spend at least some of your spare time putting together a legit plan b and c. Figure out a way to put whatever your talents are to work with passive or semi-passive income. Build at least 6 months reserves in liquid accounts. 12 months is better. You have to make sacrifices to build a reserve unless you are one of the few who can do it easily. 

Through a life of hard lessons I've learned a lot and can now survive a 2 year employment disaster. I made a lot of small sacrifices to do it. Every time you are about to spend money on food or fun or travel or whatever...consider putting money aside instead. It will become a habit faster than you think. I'm not saying to live in a box and watch TV at best buy. Just keep a disaster plan in your pocket at all times. 

4 minutes ago, Jandurin said:

Yeah I always have a year's worth of money at least.

Aware it's not an option for everyone but as soon as it is, you have to have it.

That cushion just makes life less worrisome.

It's hard AF to do. The beginning is no debt except a mortgage. That's always step one. I'd guess that all of us have built debt to an "uncomfortable" level at least once in our lives. Debt is destructive on so many levels. I'll wear 10 year old t shirts with holes and eat rice 3 times a day before I go down that path again. 

12 hours ago, RDM said:

Yes, indeed - banter it is...  Unfortunately, your not getting the point.  Whenever someone barely out of their teens rants for others to grow up with expletives the stark irony of the concept befuddles even rudimentary logic and perspective.  Plus, the attempt at rhetoric was simultaneously mirroring the very same ideal your attempting to condemn.  Perhaps in 30 or 40 years you'll be able to reflect on the concept.  Have a great evening...

Only an utter fool would bring age into this. I recently stated my age on this forum, and posted a picture of myself, as to not hide behind the screen so to speak. I refuse to allow you to have the feeling of security when talking down to me, based solely on the fact that you probably are twice my age.

You know, you shouldn’t say anything online you wouldn’t say to someone’s face. And with that, have a lovely weekend :)

30 minutes ago, Jandurin said:

Yeah I always have a year's worth of money at least.

Aware it's not an option for everyone but as soon as it is, you have to have it.

That cushion just makes life less worrisome.

A year? Dang bro good on you

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF pinned this topic

Archived