SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March Banter

George BM

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, not a fan of Roundup at all. Being on the waterfront, we're weary of chemicals. And we are pro bee, fish, worms, mallards, squirrels and even the area fox.

I need to research the corn gluten option. I saw it mentioned elsewhere, but am currently clueless about it.

1 hour ago, H2O said:

Sorry guys.  Gonna have to hate on all these yard chemicals being dumped to make green grass.  All these herbicides and ferts do more harm than good.  No one applies it properly and the runoff is affecting the health of our watersheds.  Then you add in how stuff like roundup is killing the honeybee populations and its just a disaster waiting to happen.

No bees=no crops.

Use corn gluten.  Its natural.

Good point.  I’d also like to see local jurisdictions use less salt/brine on the roads around here — that can’t be good for the watersheds/runoffs/Chesapeake/etc.  I took 270 yesterday heading to Deep Creek and the highway was white with so much brine.  

2 hours ago, Merlinville32 said:

Preen can inhibit bulbs from growing as well as stunt annuals. Wait until bulbs are done in May. Cut all foliage off. Apply preen then. Use Roundup for any weeds already emerged. Roundup only works on actively growing plants and soaks in through the tissue. So if you can’t get all bulbs cut back all of the way then cover with new mulch or even use Dixie cups during the roundup application. Residential preen only lasts 4-6 weeks so reapply and water in.

58 minutes ago, MiddleRvrwx said:

Yeah, not a fan of Roundup at all. Being on the waterfront, we're weary of chemicals. And we are pro bee, fish, worms, mallards, squirrels and even the area fox.

I need to research the corn gluten option. I saw it mentioned elsewhere, but am currently clueless about it.

Good info above from Merlin. 

I only use Roundup in areas where there aren't any desirables, like between the cracks in the sidewalks, driveway, etc.  And, like you, I use it sparingly.  If your problem is solely crabgrass, you can get a spot spray crabgrass control at any hardware store, and for other broadleaf weeds, there is another spot spray you can use.  Target the leaves of the weed you're trying to kill, but a little overspray shouldn't damage lawns or other desirables.  Sometimes crabgrass takes a second application after a week or so.  The best time to control crabgrass is now with a pre emergent, but I wouldn't use the Scotts like I mentioned earlier if I lived near the water. It has fertilizer in it that will likely run off.  I know that they make some natural or organic pre emergents that you put down with a spreader, but I don't know of them offhand so talk to a small hardware store in that area and hear their thoughts.

For the spot sprays once the warm weather hits, I just use Weed B Gon.  They make one for broadleaf weeds with crabgrass control ( https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ortho-24-oz-Ready-to-Use-Weed-B-Gone-Max-and-Crabgrass-043351005/100543826 ).  Or, if you have a pump sprayer, you can get the jug pretty cheap and mix your own, which is what I do.  For dandelions and all the other weeding that I do, I generally use a long spike weed tool ( https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ames-Ergo-Gel-Grip-Hand-Weeder-1995400/205186027 ) and pull them by hand.  I don't have a big plot of land and I also don't get many dandelions, but that tool works great for all weeding.

Finally, if you have weeds already in your flower bed, that's likely not crabgrass.  If it has running roots as you describe, also not crabgrass.  Crab grass has a clump root system and spreads by seed.  Take a picture of what you've got and maybe someone here can id it for you.

2 hours ago, H2O said:

Sorry guys.  Gonna have to hate on all these yard chemicals being dumped to make green grass.  All these herbicides and ferts do more harm than good.  No one applies it properly and the runoff is affecting the health of our watersheds.  Then you add in how stuff like roundup is killing the honeybee populations and its just a disaster waiting to happen.

No bees=no crops.

Use corn gluten.  Its natural.

No need to apologize, especially because you're mostly right.  They are overused and used incorrectly, and if I lived on a tributary or stream, I wouldn't use anything either.

18 minutes ago, Solo2 said:

Wow....55" of snow in the past 7 days at Snowshoe.  Had no idea it had been snowing like that up there....

They are actually ahead of us for the season by about 8" or so.  I can't remember the last time they had more than us.  A couple of south-tracking storms have helped them this year.

19 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Friends, weenies, region-folk, lend me your ears;

The models have LIED to us all season.
They have trapped us with their icy embrace.
They have plunged the knife of suffering into our hearts when close. 

We must stand and fight the models that collude with winter. 
We must reject the GFS and its BL temp lies.
We must reject the CMC because it's the CMC. 

We must make war with the Euro .
To break the bonds which by which it forces our reason to abandon us.

In this Day of Rage we must fight back;
And vanquish all those who stand in our way to freedom.

In our hour of rage we must say with one voice as united weenies:

DOWN WITH THE GFS!

THE EURO MUST FALL!

THE SNOWLESS REGIME OF WINTER MUST BE OVERTHROWN!

See the source image

16 minutes ago, 87storms said:

Alright I think im done.  If we get something we get something but it’s getting fruitless to track.  March 14th is really pushing it.  I’m mentally prepared for warmer weather and a reload for next winter.

Yep, it basically takes a miracle for us to get anything worth tracking once we get into the second half of March.  Bring on the summer and then let's try again next year.  And if you really want to get your snow fix go to Canaan, it's been snowing for 2 days straight there and their 2 day total is around 20 inches.  

YAY!!!! Just what we wanted, MORE wind.

258 PM EDT Wed Mar 14 2018

...WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 8 PM EDT THURSDAY...

The National Weather Service in Blacksburg has issued a Wind
Advisory, which is in effect from 2 AM to 8 PM EDT Thursday.

* Locations...Along either side of the Blue Ridge from the High
  Country of North Carolina to the Alleghany Highland of
  Virginia.

* Hazards...Strong wind gusts.

* Winds...West 20 to 35 mph with gusts up to 50 mph.

* Timing...From late tonight through the day Thursday.

* Impacts...Potential for downed trees and powerlines. Winds this
  strong can also make travel difficult, especially for high
  profile vehicles.

It isn't like it has been calm here the past 48 hours, just not enough to kick the advisories in I guess. As I've said before, WIND is THE one thing we do good here.

EDIT- see many talking of the snow in Canaan and 'Shoe, knew that was going on, we have been getting off and on flurries coating the ground past 24 hours, so that is an automatic 8+ event for them.

1 hour ago, DCTeacherman said:

Yep, it basically takes a miracle for us to get anything worth tracking once we get into the second half of March.  Bring on the summer and then let's try again next year.  And if you really want to get your snow fix go to Canaan, it's been snowing for 2 days straight there and their 2 day total is around 20 inches.  

The next system isn’t too far from doing something but this lack of really any legitimate southern stream has made things challenging. We need perfect timing and that gets pretty difficult in March.  I’ll check in for the 18z etc but expectations are pretty low.

Of course, there is another way to view weather as a “hobby.”

That is, tracking the models, diving into the blogs, digesting the data, worrying the trends, scouring the climo histories, bickering with those who dare voice contrary thoughts, hunting for those clever tell-all GIFs, outdoing the last person’s wishcasts, furiously throwing in the towel at the teasing fails – all in quest of the oh-so elusive, sublime, joyful 24 hours that my grandfather would describe as, “Nice day, eh?”

Imagine when you can open the windows, peel off a layer or two, kick off the down comforter, before the Zika/Lime mosquitoes start buzzing but after brittle trees stop falling on innocent houses, in between the bitter-season power outages that spoil everything in the freezer; after you lay down $8,000 to get the furnace working again but before the AC loses refrigerant, in the sweet spot between single digits and triple digits, before high-pressure sweat plasters our hair to our faces but after the low-pressure systems pass and allow us to remove the scarves that hide them, after we drain the gas from the snow blowers that haven’t run for years and won’t start when we need them but before NOAA mobilizes the crack Hurricane Hunters.

Imagine when the roads and cars and sidewalks aren’t white with salt, when the barbecue beckons, when wake to songbirds instead of thunder?

When will the models give us hope for nice not nasty? When will we yearn for sublime not severe?

Nah, never mind. What kind of weather hobby would that be?

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF pinned this topic

Archived