Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Blizzard 2018 Take II: The Firehose

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The damage is impressive given the lack of foliage too...these weren't kites in the wind.  They were as aerodynamic as trees get, haha.  

Glad the house is mostly ok man.

Multiple reports of shingle stripping, that takes some serious wind, so many gravity waves and these incredible bursts of wind. 

1 hour ago, bobbutts said:

How did this system rank among the all time coastal storms to hit MA as far as coastal flooding impact goes?

I think for the north shore it was more moderate. Your winds were more northerly and really need northeast winds to pile the water in. For the south shore and Cape it’s probably top 3 or so in terms of flooding. They sort of dodged a bullet on the south shore because those Cat 1 winds occurred at low tide. The surge maxed near 4’ at that time. If that occurred 6 hrs later it would have been extreme. 

The south shore is in tough shape. There are trees everywhere. I thought Weymouth had lots of trees down,  but there are trees and debris everywhere further down. I was in Hanover and there are limbs or trees down wherever you look. Pines especially. Those winds were 70-90mph there on the coast. They are saying up to 1 week restoration in places like Duxbury.

14 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I think for the north shore it was more moderate. Your winds were more northerly and really need northeast winds to pile the water in. For the south shore and Cape it’s probably top 3 or so in terms of flooding. They sort of dodged a bullet on the south shore because those Cat 1 winds occurred at low tide. The surge maxed near 4’ at that time. If that occurred 6 hrs later it would have been extreme. 

The south shore is in tough shape. There are trees everywhere. I thought Weymouth had lots of trees down,  but there are trees and debris everywhere further down. I was in Hanover and there are limbs or trees down wherever you look. Pines especially. Those winds were 70-90mph there on the coast. They are saying up to 1 week restoration in places like Duxbury.

Archived