• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Blizzard 2018 Take II: The Firehose

40/70 Benchmark

That's what I think happened here. Our winds went relatively light between six and eight. Then all sudden between eight and nine we had some really violent gusting going on power went off and on twice. Of course that was five minutes after I had just got done telling everybody that my winds went relatively light between. now it's 32° and snowing gusting going on power went out twice.  Now it's 32° and snowing

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the snow that fell around me aside... this was still a serious storm...saw multiple peak gusts of over hurricane force, some serious rain totals, and then there was the snow in ENY, multiple totals over 30", a couple near 40", and still snowing there, so many may be above that by now... but AWT I guess...on to Wednesday...

It’s been trying for hours here. You can see the snowflakes on the windshield when they hit, but it’s hard to say it’s really snowing. Basically a true mix for like 3-4 hours now

This is anecdotal, but we have had a ton of rain this winter. I don’t recall a winter with so many heavy rain events. Just incredible. Water is high around here

5 minutes ago, Bigfoot said:

For the record your Worcester ny total was 31”,good call Will.......2hrs. West of Albany ny

I used to always think of how good a spot that was based on the topography every time I drove through there on the way home or back to Ithaca during college. They're in a prime spot. Really high elevation even in the low spots where the highway cuts...like 1400-1500 feet. Prob a lot of spots off the interstate I'd imagine are 1800-2000. Always awesome views driving there.  

7 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

I bet it's snowing pretty good in Tolland now. 

I bet union is really getting smoked. They are in the middle of it now. Kind of like I was about 30 min ago and it's pretty legit. Would have been fun to get 6-8 hours of that. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

I bet union is really getting smoked. They are in the middle of it now. Kind of like I was about 30 min ago and it's pretty legit. Would have been fun to get 6-8 hours of that. 

Even IJD is snow.

Some of those hilltowns probably getting 1-2" in NE CT

Just now, CT Rain said:

Even IJD is snow.

Some of those hilltowns probably getting 1-2" in NE CT

Yeah wouldn't surprise me. I just picked up nearly a quick inch in about an hour and most of it prob fell in the last 30-40 min in the meat of that band before it sank south. 

We thought this would start at 4pm...we were only off 6-7 hours. 

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah wouldn't surprise me. I just picked up nearly a quick inch in about an hour and most of it prob fell in the last 30-40 min in the meat of that band before it sank south. 

We thought this would start at 4pm...we were only off 6-7 hours. 

While the GFS was atrocious... the NAM was also way too cold. Seems like a blend would have been OK. The GFS was wrong - but I think what it was trying to show with a lot of warm air sucked in to the storm as it secluded wasn't crazy wrong. Also... we always had a 4 or 5F T/Td spread here which was odd for a storm that dropped 1.5" of rain here. 

Archived