Newest Member
    joxey
Blizzard 2018 Take II: The Firehose

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That's nice for them. The center of the screw universe for years so not bad. 

Looking at aircraft soundings, pronounced warm layer from 900-820mb or so. Peaks near 4c. Actually 0C at 925, so colder lower levels AWT. Need to wash out that layer this aftn.

I know you’re off.. any general ideas on when Pike south flips? 

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

8" in Albany, NY so far... 240ft elevation near the Hudson River.  Damn.

534-74898377.jpg

bTWQKOz.gif

Been hours and hours of 30-50dbZ bands over ENY..crush city.

Only about a little over 3" here.  Was 39F when precip started, so lost some there in addition to bouncing between 32F-33F.  Nice elevation event for SVT though.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That's nice for them. The center of the screw universe for years so not bad.

Looking at aircraft soundings, pronounced warm layer from 900-820mb or so. Peaks near 4c. Actually 0C at 925, so colder lower levels AWT. Need to wash out that layer this aftn.

Yeah, really showing what dynamic cooling can do out there when you do have mid-levels that support snow.  Models definitely are busting in the Hudson Valley.

Based on those soundings, it is the mid-levels as if those were cold enough, all these 34-36F temps in SNE would be flashing over to heavy snow almost immediately just like the Albany area.

Areas out west that are seeing snow now, don't be surprised if it flips to rain for a few hours as the storm circles back west under the ULL.  850mb temps are modeled to increase as the easterly winds at 850mb increase pushing the marine air further inland.  Once the winds flip more from the NE the temps will start to fall again.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah, really showing what dynamic cooling can do out there when you do have mid-levels that support snow.  Models definitely are busting in the Hudson Valley.

Based on those soundings, it is the mid-levels as if those were cold enough, all these 34-36F temps in SNE would be flashing over to heavy snow almost immediately just like the Albany area.

For HFD, the warm tongue is at 850, but it's not as pronounced. Probbaly will be in a few hours. But good to see the lower levels colder which we surmised. Will be interesting this aftn.

1 minute ago, codfishsnowman said:

Rain but did have a little sleet mixing in earlier when I was walking the dog 35f

fairly breezy, i thought temps would have been 39-43 this morning,esp with yesterday around 60 and dews around 30 so a little colder than I thought

Low levels are ok. It's near 850 that is furnaced. But, good to see the lower levels fairly cool. I figured that may be the case, GFS thermals be dammed.

Archived