Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 1-2 wind event

Ji

51 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Sandy wasn't a big deal in my yard either. I wish I could find the picture of my yard I took the day after. There were some leaves and like a 2' branch on the ground but that was it. I didn't get any gusts over 50mph. I know that for sure but my house sits in a stream valley. I'm pretty sure tomorrow is going to be a better wind producer than Sandy. It's going to roar for sure. I haven't lost power since pepco went all Edward Scissorhands on the trees a few years ago. We'll see how that goes tomorrow. 

I think it depended on exact location. A giant tree fell onto our garage damaging it and totaling one of our cars. All based on exactly what happened in your yard I guess. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Some top gusts from Sandy...

"In the greater Washington, D.C. area, Sandy brought slightly lower wind gusts generally, but isolated gusts topped 80 mph, including a 90 mph gust at the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. Some other notable gusts:"

-79 mph: Thomas Point, Md.
-79 mph: Chester Gap, Va.
-76 mph: Laytonsville, Md.
-61 mph: Reagan National Airport
-60 mph: Baltimore-Washington (BWI) Airport

Sandy and the Derecho are the benchmarks for wind in my book.  If we meet or exceed these wind gusts regionally then it's a big event.  Even the more conservative forecaster I follow on Twitter are honking on this so it's definitely got my interest piqued. 

this may sound stupid but here gos -

the winds from sandy seemed higher up it was windy on the ground but much of the wind force seemed at the tree tops. 

derecho the frontal wind was in your face almost like it was coming from the ground, one of the most powerful winds i have ever experienced.

i do hate wind but (here the stupid). wind damage imo comes from what level (height) the wind comes from- may be hard for some to understand and i wish i could explain it better -  

The 2012 derecho is memorable to me because my (now) wife and I went to a movie and hadn't really paid much attention to the forecast. The power never so much as flickered. Walked out totally unaware and drove home through a bizzare world of downed trees, sirens, and debris everywhere.

I still don't know how we missed it so completely.

14 minutes ago, motsco said:

this may sound stupid but here gos -

the winds from sandy seemed higher up it was windy on the ground but much of the wind force seemed at the tree tops. 

derecho the frontal wind was in your face almost like it was coming from the ground, one of the most powerful winds i have ever experienced.

i do hate wind but (here the stupid). wind damage imo comes from what level (height) the wind comes from- may be hard for some to understand and i wish i could explain it better -  

Derecho was a hit then it moved on. Sandy was not fun. Maybe being closer to the mountains, but I distinctly remember questioning why I went to bed up on the 3rd floor. The sounds from the roof all night made me think it would get ripped off. We had to shut the bathroom door as you could hear the wind in the toilet. And all without power. If this event is as worse I am sleeping on the sofa bed in the lower level. 

And I am with you I hate wind. Warm, cold does not matter it is that weather event that I can live without. 

25 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

Derecho was a hit then it moved on. Sandy was not fun. Maybe being closer to the mountains, but I distinctly remember questioning why I went to bed up on the 3rd floor. The sounds from the roof all night made me think it would get ripped off. We had to shut the bathroom door as you could hear the wind in the toilet. And all without power. If this event is as worse I am sleeping on the sofa bed in the lower level. 

And I am with you I hate wind. Warm, cold does not matter it is that weather event that I can live without. 

Wind is great with snow or 10F temps.  This will have neither.  But this is the only weather game in town so whatever.

1 minute ago, bigjohndc said:

Given how many delays and closures we have had this year for minimal accumulations and how aggressive NWS has been in forecasting this, I thought more districts would have called it off for tomorrow already.

AACo was already closed for P/T conferences. Maybe other districts are as well?

Just now, bigjohndc said:

Given how many delays and closures we have had this year for minimal accumulations and how aggressive NWS has been in forecasting this, I thought more districts would have called it off for tomorrow already.

It’s early.  They will all fall like dominoes eventually.  Just takes one to start and they didn’t use nearly that many days.  Our county gets 10 I think 

Archived