Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 1-2 wind event

Ji

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

According to the BGE outage map, there are still about 55,000 without power in their service area, with about half of that in Baltimore county. There's a note on the outage map that says the numbers that I used to get that total are accurate.

Seems like a lot.

Found a more accurate table that says 65,000 BGE still out as of 9:45 this morning.

I've been out since 1PM Friday. With all the free time on my hands, I traced our wire back to where I know there is power and found a circuit breaker up on the pole was open. Tried to call and tell BGE our fix might be easy but there is no way to provide info. There was a truck a block over that fixed one wire, but after that they left. Doesn't really make sense to send 2 trucks and 8 guys for one small outage without assessing/fixing all the other small outages around them. 

I have access to generator power, but seriously looking into solar/battery for next time. BGE is dead to me.

12 hours ago, mdhokie said:

What are you smoking? There are 10k out in Howard county alone. I haven't seen a bge truck anywhere in our area for the last two days, which is crazy since there is a huge depot just down the road. I'm still without power and their outage map has no eta on 90% of the outages in the county.

As a reference, on Day 5 post Derecho, there were still 800,000 outages in MD, DC and NOVA.  We are at Day 3 and under 200,000 across the same region. There are still nested outages, but it's nowhere near as bad as before.  I know it stinks to be one of the last to get back on, I'm at the end of a cul de sac, but that's how the chips fall sometimes. :(

That really sucks for you folks without power. We went out at 10am on Friday, but it came back at around 7pm last night. It’s tricky with a nearly 6-month-old (my 5-year-old was fine), so that was a level of stress we could have done without, but all in all it wasn’t too bad, especially because we had our friends’ generator. Another buddy of mine is still out - he’s one of 10 townhouses in a whole huge subdivision without power now, and they’re not expecting it back until Tuesday evening.

Good luck to everyone. I really hope you’re up and running soon!

36 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

My in-laws are in rural VA west of Warrenton and they aren't expecting power back until mid-week, which will be 5 days at that point.  Definitely high-impact.  Found another house in my neighborhood yesterday that took a direct hit, so that is two that are not able to be occupied.

Gotta figure those out-of-the-way locales will have a tough time coming back up. Friends in Marshall got theirs back yesterday after 40 hours, which was much earlier than they expected. They were running a 7000W generator and have a wood fireplace, so they were pretty well taken care of.

We've got one house in our neighborhood that has a roof smashed up from a big tree that fell onto it. Roof is caved in over one of the bedrooms, but everyone is OK, it seems.

2 minutes ago, T. August said:

Did you ever lose it?

and if Wednesday restore happens, it would beat the length of outage after Sandy lmao

No.  There were a lot of weird outage patterns in my hood.  One block was fine, and then one side of one block is out, total outage on the next block...

But we had power the whole time so our friends spent a lot of their time at our house over the weekend.

53 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

No.  There were a lot of weird outage patterns in my hood.  One block was fine, and then one side of one block is out, total outage on the next block...

But we had power the whole time so our friends spent a lot of their time at our house over the weekend.

Well congrats my man lol

At work now, (where power has returned), but just got email from our HOA that said BGE is planning for midnight restoration for us. That would be 86 hours down, IF it happens.

The BGE outage map is a joke nowadays. They still don't list our neighborhood as out.

I'll gladly tolerate it as opposed to those poor folks who got whacked with a tree, etc.

Archived