Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 1-2 wind event

Ji

3 minutes ago, iambinarymind said:

no power outages in Ballenger Creek, MD where i'm at thus far ... just watching the big pine trees in front of my apartment go back and forth.

Actually the neighborhoods of Kingsbrook and Robin Meadows have been out since early this morning. Businesses over on Crestwood Blvd. are out as well. The light at the intersection of Corporate and New Design is a 4 way stop. Wellington Trace and my neighborhood are holding their own with power. :)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, 87storms said:

wind has ratcheted up again lately.  driving around you can see branches around.  not the worst stuff i've seen (i was near raleigh during fran), but still windier than usual and reminds me of a cold front in october.

I was in Chapel Hill for Fran, and that was definitely the most impressive wind event I've experienced.  That was even more violent than being in the eye of Hurricane Charley (1986).  This is in the same neighborhood as Isabelle for 3rd place.

23 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Fingers crossed. Been holding my breath all day and haven’t seen anything much reported from my neighborhood. My house is right under a huge oak.

Fingers crossed for you!

22 minutes ago, MiddleRvrwx said:

Around 8 am this morning, my neighbor lost one of her window shutters.  I'll update how many of our shingles ended up in her yard later. ;)

LOL hopefully not too many

13 minutes ago, Navy96 said:

I can confirm it's pretty blustery up our way, but, with the exception of a couple impressive gusts, it hasn't been too bad.  Power has been a bit unsteady, but haven't lost it for more than a few seconds at a time.  Generator doesn't even have time to kick on.  Not much in the way of branches or debris that I can see.  Trees on the hilltops are moving a ton.  We are on the leeward side of a fairly significant hill (we're at about 800' elevation, the hill continues up to the north to about 900'), so take that into consideration for my observations.

hi friend! I shared some of your pics earlier :) Glad to hear things aren't too bad at home. My weather station is still reporting, so thats good news in terms of power. I imagine the back roads will be debris filled later when I make my way back north. Gusty in Hunt Valley but doesn't seem too bad compared to places south. Thanks for checking in!

I was in Chapel Hill for Fran, and that was definitely the most impressive wind event I've experienced.  That was even more violent than being in the eye of Hurricane Charley (1986).  This is in the same neighborhood as Isabelle for 3rd place.
I was in Raleigh for Fran. Had soaking rains before the strong winds came and trees were just everywhere. Most impressive wind event for me as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

My PWS has a max gust of 48 mph so far with gusts routinely in the high 20s to low 30s. It is somewhat sheltered by my house and trees so I wouldn't be surprised if the gusts would be higher if I mounted it on my roof. Very impressive wind event here. Fortunately power is still on and only minor tree limbs down for the most part.

6 minutes ago, dukeblue219 said:

The wind has really dropped in the last hour here in Silver Spring. Still gusty by "normal" standards but the trees aren't bending over anymore. So far not a lot of power outages in our immediate neighborhood, but it looks like outages are much worse over towards Potomac.

Funny cause in Takoma Park it’s still blowing real good.

3 minutes ago, ThePhotoGuy said:

Anne Arundel Fire Units handling reports of Paddle boarders swept away in the Severn River. Having tidal issues due to the tides being swept out. Aviation down but trying to contact Coast Guard Helos. 

Paddle boarders?  WTF were they thinking?  I can barely walk straight with these gusts.  

1 hour ago, Interstate said:

Shingles should not blow off a roof like that... especially on a new house.

Unless it's a Ryan home. ;)

15 minutes ago, WeathermanB said:

Right now outside with light snow falling down the past hour and 50+ MPH wind gusts from a wicked coastal.

Man, please don't use that stupid "wicked" term in this forum.

6 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Unless it's a Ryan home. ;)

Close.  Stanley Martin. They built premium homes with builder-grade 20 year 3 tab shingles. And they probably built that house and laid the shingles in the middle of winter so they didn't adhere right. I'd say 30% of the homes in the neighborhood suffered moderate wind damage today in my neighborhood from this event because of the workmanship and product. Architectural and dimensional shingles laugh at this.

Archived