Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 1-2 wind event

Ji

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Random Chaos said:

My PWS reported a gust of 63 mph @ 305° at 12:16pm - this is near the Bay Bridge.

I was looking at your station earlier because I noticed that gust on my display because you upload to CWOP. Nice fetch from the Magothy today for you. I bet the Magothy is absolutely running out of the channel.

1 hour ago, Stormpc said:

This was one of my neighbors houses earlier. Since then he's lost a good deal more of his shingles.

20180302_081446.jpg

I suspect that's the reason for the hammer like thumping I hear. 

On another note, witnessed the fastest blow out tide I've ever seen.  Watched a fish flip flop his way to the departing waterline.  

6 minutes ago, wxmeddler said:

I was looking at your station earlier because I noticed that gust on my display because you upload to CWOP. Nice fetch from the Magothy today for you. I bet the Magothy is absolutely running out of the channel.

It is, got 2 sandbars already visible and it's supposed to keep dropping for the next few hours. Need to put on a tide gauge one of these days, but calibrating it's elevation is not going to be fun. Although today it would be below the lowest level of any tide gauge - it's all sand there now! Normally a couple feet of water.

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

About time for the wind to stop. Tree in our neighbors front yard has split and is almost certainly going to end up on a power line or the yard. Rather not lose power forever lol.

This is far from over.  These winds are going to gust over 40mph until at least early tomorrow morning.  I hope I'm wrong but I think he power outages are just beginning.  Sun powered wind in Alexandria currently.

4 minutes ago, mappy said:

I think I am lucking out up here, while there have been big gusts, not a lot in the way of power outages up this way. nor can i find much damage stuff on twitter. 

Fingers crossed. Been holding my breath all day and haven’t seen anything much reported from my neighborhood. My house is right under a huge oak.

1 minute ago, mappy said:

I think I am lucking out up here, while there have been big gusts, not a lot in the way of power outages up this way. nor can i find much damage stuff on twitter. 

Around 8 am this morning, my neighbor lost one of her window shutters.  I'll update how many of our shingles ended up in her yard later. ;)

10 minutes ago, mappy said:

I can confirm it's pretty blustery up our way, but, with the exception of a couple impressive gusts, it hasn't been too bad.  Power has been a bit unsteady, but haven't lost it for more than a few seconds at a time.  Generator doesn't even have time to kick on.  Not much in the way of branches or debris that I can see.  Trees on the hilltops are moving a ton.  We are on the leeward side of a fairly significant hill (we're at about 800' elevation, the hill continues up to the north to about 900'), so take that into consideration for my observations.

2 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

Based on traffic reports looks like I-95 in northeast Maryland is a parking lot with Hatem closed and other parts of the road totally closed. Not even rush hour yet.

Is there going to *be* a rush hour? Everyone in the government or public school system is home. I'd imagine a *lot* of private employees are working from home or working odd hours today, too, and the usual Friday push on 95 won't be there with a mega storm raging in the NE.

6 minutes ago, Tenman Johnson said:

Snow in northeast MD is moving southwest 

It is but it seems like it's actually moving more south than anything. There seems like there is a wall setting up if you drew a line from 83 south straight through MD. Not sure anyone west of that line will get anything. Storm needs to back in more west.

Archived