Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 1-2 wind event

Ji

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

I agree...we're about to hit 50k outages in Montgomery.  Top 5 event.  

The only thing missing for something historic would be leafed out trees. If this happened in say....late May...it would be talked about basically forever. 

What are the peak gusts @ the big 3? I see IAD topped 60mph. Looks like BWI and DCA haven't hit 60 yet?

Just now, Bob Chill said:

The only thing missing for something historic would be leafed out trees. If this happened in say....late May...I would be talked about basically forever. 

What are the peak gusts @ the big 3? I see IAD topped 60mph. Looks like BWI and DCA haven't hit 60 yet?

DCA hit 62 mph earlier today. Don't know if that's been topped yet. IAD hit 71 mph about half an hour ago.

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

The only thing missing for something historic would be leafed out trees. If this happened in say....late May...I would be talked about basically forever. 

Non QC report from a fire station in bethesda of E70mph...multiple trees into houses within the past house.  

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Dulles: 67 mph

Reagan: 62 mph

Baltimore: 52 mph

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

The only thing missing for something historic would be leafed out trees. If this happened in say....late May...it would be talked about basically forever. 

IAD gusted to 71 at 11:39 according to NWS twitter

Yea, 70+mph is VERY impressive for winds not related to a supercell or tropical. This is legit. 

My power has briefly went off 3-4 times but never for more than 15 seconds. I haven't lost power for more than 1 hour since the big tree trimming project. Prior to that I lost power for multiple days multiple times during far less significant events. I'll give some props to Pepco. 

18 minutes ago, caviman2201 said:

Yuck...

Capture.JPG

I want to yak every time I fly on a CR2 in clear wx.  That said, lots of buzz on the AV forums about IAD in ground stop until 1PM, landings on RWY 30, tower evacuated...all things that generally don't ever happen.  DCA is also reportedly landing on RWY 33, which is extremely rare.  AA and DL have all but ceased attempts to operate there.

There is a temporary ground stop at @Dulles_Airport while the @FAANews implements their contingency plan. The FAA Tower was evacuated due to high winds and FAA controllers are currently transitioning to the airport ramp tower. Normal operations expected to resume shortly.

Archived