• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 1-2 wind event

Ji

Ebb and flow of outages continues in Maryland. Was up to a little over 4K and now has dropped back into the 3K range. Assuming this is from larger areas being restored quickly. Outages should steadily increase with time now. 

My UPS unit has already had to kick in 3 times for momentary flickers.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got woken up by some gusts and decided to secure my grill and deck furniture due to bad experiences with big wind in the past.

So far my PWS is running 10-15 mph sustained with gusts in the 20-30mph range. My station is a bit sheltered in trees and too near to my house but does seem to be accurate.

3 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Transformer and wires calls stacking now in PG and MoCo....getting real.

Still VERY early too. Not even to core winds yet. My guess is once the sun comes up and the mixing gets better it will get significantly worse for the local public safety folks and utilities. 

1 minute ago, Kmlwx said:

Still VERY early too. Not even to core winds yet. My guess is once the sun comes up and the mixing gets better it will get significantly worse for the local public safety folks and utilities. 

At this hour only the smart meters are reporting.  Once folks wake up and see their power out they'll call in and probably have another 2 to 5 percent spike in outages.

6 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

At this hour only the smart meters are reporting.  Once folks wake up and see their power out they'll call in and probably have another 2 to 5 percent spike in outages.

Spike is already happening pretty quick now. MEMA map now has 10K+ outages in the state. PEPCO jumped up over 7K alone. Haven't had the house be rocked in a little while now - but I can definitely hear the wind. MoCo fire/rescue sounds extremely busy. 

I'll keep sounding like a broken record - but I'm extremely impressed with how strong the winds are during the overnight hours. I see two ways this could go after sunrise...

1) We get more frequent 55-60mph gusts but kind of plateau there despite the sun aiding in mixing. (this is partially what I expect simply because 65-70mph gusts are pretty anomalous for us). 

2) The winds absolutely take off and go "next level" as the sun comes up. Numerous stations clock 65mph or higher winds with some isolated stations touching 70mph. If that HRRR sounding above is to be believed...this option could be more likely. 

Hard to say what exactly ends up happening. Widespread 70mph winds isn't very common around here.

1 minute ago, yoda said:

Powers flickered here a few times... went ahead and got some lights to turn on when the power goes out... which will probably be soon I would guess

Had a few flickers with the initial surge...but it seems to have calmed down a touch after that batch. I haven't had a house rocking gust in a while now. Flickers have gone away. 

Archived